Music 1 Aurals (1 Viewer)

Missngel

id have to say pick a question (try and do the hard ones:D ) and liten to it every 1 or 2 minutes about 5 times, just like the exam. If u find difficulty refer to ur notes for the first couple of songs and then ull get the hang of it!!!
Try and avoid analysing songs like R&B and pop coz theyre way too hard!!!;)

petite

hi amy...

my advice is to call up your friend...her name starts with P and make a brainstorm of all the words u can think of to describe all the elements and principles of music. lol...hi amy..

dansnation

theres only one way to study for aural...

get out ur parents music collection which is hopefully of different tastes to urs..

listen to it.
get out a piece of paper and write down everything you can with reference to the concepts of music.. if your music teacher is nice, they will probably read over it with you..

also they probably have a sheet of paper for you which outlines all the aspects of the concepts of music.. for example. under pitch it will tell you what to listen out for.. eg. definate/indefinate pitch, high register etc....

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
There's also the problem of picking up all that stuff.

Is there a way of learning how to pick up all that stuff? And applying the concepts of music to your answer... how do you do that?

I really don't understand aurals :(

I apologize if I sound very confusing. LOL.

dansnation

Thats true.. i used to be really shit at aural, but now i find myself near the top of the class..

Your right, it is hard to pick it up, but the main things u should remember is.. you have to know what you are listening out for, then it should come easier.

eg. if a question is about duration, you maybe write down a few points straight away about everything to do with duration in the song.. eg. time signature, is it syncopated?, are there sustained notes? are the notes bouncy? You dont have to use all the big language.

- once u have these brief sentences, or even 1 word, you need to show the examiner that u know how it effects the song. eg. if the drummer is playing a jazz rhythm, you could say it effects the piece by creating a swung feel.

hope this helps..

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
Originally posted by dansnation
Your right, it is hard to pick it up, but the main things u should remember is.. you have to know what you are listening out for, then it should come easier.
Hmmmm... any advice on HOW to pick up all that stuff?

Yeah, it does help a bit. Thanks :)

Psychrist

basically listen to a heap of music that u wouldnt listen 2 is all i can say and then write down what u hear.

Best way is to go down to a scabby shop and buy a heap of $1 cds or ones on special etc.

If you have the ear for it as well try and play the pieces so that you get a better understanding of how the piece is compsed and written and all that kinda stuff. Basically if possiable study as much music as possiable and try and play as much as possiable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)