Music 1 - General thoughts (1 Viewer)

vEJv

HSC
I found questions 3 & 4 easy and fun. I found questions 1 & 2 hard and boring. Go figure.

musicalteddy

HSC
I really found the whole paper pretty easy. The answers are given to you, you just need to know what the questions are asking for. It's all in the music.

I hated the brassy interpretation for question 3 I think it was. It was so dissonant and really hard to listen to. Worst piece of music I've ever heard in an aural exam, haha.

Oh well. It's all over now. Yaaay!

laurenxoxo

HSC
Re: Music one 1 F**K yeah!!!

~untitled~ said:
WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY EVER PUT ANOTHER EXAM ON THE SAME DAY AS ENGLISH...
True that. My brain was pretty much drained of all vocabulary learned after kindergarten. Absolute mush. I managed to throw some relative terms in which is essentially what matters but i could hardly manage to put a sentence together. Oh well at least i can be confident in my performance mark.

kkkkaitlyn

HSC
i thought the pitch question was hard i wrote about 3 good points then the rest was just bullshit apart from that it was alrite

lil dynamyt

HSC
Overall i thought the paper was pretty easy. However, question for was quite tricky to answer, but apart from that, i thought i did really well!!!

Well i guess thats the last time we will ever do an aural task...yay!!!

My music teacher actually hates the way we have to deconstrcuct songs into 6 concepts as he says it doesnt allow us to hear the music as it is supposed to. And i totally agree with him because when we naturally listen to music, we shouldnt think "oh the ostinato was played by the bass guitar" or "the melody consisted of steps and extremely large leaps", instead we should listen to the piece as a whole. So i am never going to refer to the six concepts of music ever again!!!!

bethdocker85

HSC
The first song was amazing! I love Architecture in Helsinki... the guitar was very Sufjan Stevens reminiscent.. I dug it! But I found it so hard to concentrate on answering the question when I was enjoying the song! Lol.

I thought overall the questions they asked were pretty good, nice and general, like "discuss everything" kinda things (aka. refer to all musical concepts)

The yashigoma or whatever it was question was fcked up! Haha, we were in this massive massive exam room, 2 examiners, only me and 1 other girl, and I burst out laughing so loudly.. it was incredibly embarassing! haha.. but once those voices came in I just lost it.. and the 80s rock section? Omg, worst piece of music I've ever heard!

Orchestral pieces + focus on pitch = i killed myself. so bad. lol.

anything that's compare and contrast is heaps easy. so I was happy with that one. Espescailly since the songs were so dif! Heaps to talk about! Horrible dissonance in the brass section in the second excerpt though.. I was like *shudder*

But overall, I was pretty happy.

I'm gonna fail music anyway, it's my worst subject by far, so I reckon mid 80s and I'll be happy! I can never get higher than that anyway.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
bethdocker85 said:
The first song was amazing! I love Architecture in Helsinki... the guitar was very Sufjan Stevens reminiscent.. I dug it! But I found it so hard to concentrate on answering the question when I was enjoying the song! Lol.

I thought overall the questions they asked were pretty good, nice and general, like "discuss everything" kinda things (aka. refer to all musical concepts)

The yashigoma or whatever it was question was fcked up! Haha, we were in this massive massive exam room, 2 examiners, only me and 1 other girl, and I burst out laughing so loudly.. it was incredibly embarassing! haha.. but once those voices came in I just lost it.. and the 80s rock section? Omg, worst piece of music I've ever heard!

Orchestral pieces + focus on pitch = i killed myself. so bad. lol.

anything that's compare and contrast is heaps easy. so I was happy with that one. Espescailly since the songs were so dif! Heaps to talk about! Horrible dissonance in the brass section in the second excerpt though.. I was like *shudder*

But overall, I was pretty happy.

I'm gonna fail music anyway, it's my worst subject by far, so I reckon mid 80s and I'll be happy! I can never get higher than that anyway.
I agree with everything you said. Except that the last piece was awesome! :p

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
oh and the first one shocked me when it started. It was fairly loud and it went 4 3 2 1 with the numbers switching between right and left speakers, I was in the middle and the first time it played I jumped a bit. Looked like an idiot, haha.

bethdocker85

HSC
Fish Sauce said:
oh and the first one shocked me when it started. It was fairly loud and it went 4 3 2 1 with the numbers switching between right and left speakers, I was in the middle and the first time it played I jumped a bit. Looked like an idiot, haha.
same!! i was like, OMG!

I think the examiners thought I was a bit wacky. jumping in shock and spontaneously bursting into laughter... crazed, ay? ;)

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
bethdocker85 said:
same!! i was like, OMG!

I think the examiners thought I was a bit wacky. jumping in shock and spontaneously bursting into laughter... crazed, ay? ;)
don't worry, I had to restrain myself with the last one's YJAMDN(!IUADJ whatever as well

lilymad

HSC
I thought question 1 and 2 were really hard! The one with all the bubble noises and stuff and the pitch question with the orchestra. The other two were ok...

lilymad

HSC
Oh yeh and i was also shocked by that 1 2 3 4 thing...

pacemanscoop

HSC
The first one was the hardest in my opinion. Lucky I've heard the mendelssohn one heaps of times :D But that first one, with all the popping mouth sounds, was weird as, and tone colour/variety? What kind of question is that? Other than the first question, the test was pretty straightforward. We got manuscript though, which was good. Not having to write the stave ourselves, poor CSSA papers!

petew89

HSC

My only skill in aural is writing down drum rhythms.

So i was pissed off until the last question, which had three different beats, so i should get ok marks for that question..

overall, im expecting to BARELY barely pass..

skynet89

HSC
man i barely wrote anything for the first 5 minutes. that architecture in helsinki song omg. eargasm. then that wack song came up with the trumpets. yeah i had to restrain myself too what was he saying DASHING BOWLA or something. anyways i managed to fill up all the lines with bullshit. even drew shit to make it easier to fill lol.

did anyone else find it hard to write as much for texture. i mean it was pretty limited

shenzei

HSC
N/A

omg lol the last one was so funny, our whole class lauhged XDD

i loved the first one- but i had mental blanks asnwering questions lol (the cd skipped a bit so that threws us off though :()

what was the first one called and who by again?

brigiscool

HSC
OptimusPrime said:
ther reason people arn't in this forum is because music 1 is full of stoners who probally forgot that today was the exam....good luck...i got my concepts down
LOL to start with i was insulted by this.. until i remember it was true..

well all you people that are saying it was hard and you had trouble filling up the space.. were u in the right exam? i had to get 5 extra pages.. all those questions were fine.. number 1 was the hardest but still not hard.. i ran out of time on te last question though :(

loved it.. thank god coz im pretty sure my performance was average..

and i might just add.. music and english on the same day?! go fck urselves BOS!!!

ssssimmons

HSC
haha the last question... was interesting. i had so much trouble relating it back to the question. first listening in, heard it looked at another girl and could barely contain my laughter:rofl:. and the 2nd variation in the 3rd song? similar reaction esp when those synth space drums came in. i was like wth?
i needed extra booklets, but that doesn't mean everything was related lol.
the architecture in helsinki song was good.:haha:

Last edited:

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A

shenzei said:
omg lol the last one was so funny, our whole class lauhged XDD

i loved the first one- but i had mental blanks asnwering questions lol (the cd skipped a bit so that threws us off though :()

what was the first one called and who by again?
The Owls Go by Architecture in Helsinki

JulzMighty

HSC

during reading time (which is way more than anyone needs) i came across the last question and nearly burst out laughing -- i grew up on johnny clegg and savuka, so i was already preparing some of my answer in my head before we picked up our pens.

overall the exam wasn't too bad. i found myself quite worried about the pitch question but managed to write out loads and loads of relevant rubbish.

julz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)