Music 2 Sightsinging (1 Viewer)

nothinghello

HSC
N/A
Hello everybody
Can anybody tell me what kind of passage you have to sing in the Music 2 course?
Does anybody have an example, or something like it?
And also, how do you know what note to start on, I mean, you don't have do be perfect pitch do you???

yellow_sub

HSC
sightsinging:
its a short phrase usually, with a few different sorts of intervals. They give you the starting note so no, you dont have to be perfect pitch. the best way to prepare for it is to know your intervals in and out back to front upside down and round to round. get your teacher to give you sightsinging examples to practice from.

defyinggravity

HSC
just thought id add, the passage will be 8 bars in length and could be in a major or minor key, if that helps at all. and yea u dont have to have perfect pitch, but of course it always helps.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Are there any rules regarding accidentals? For example, are they not allowed to be included, and is modulation not permitted to occur?

defyinggravity

HSC
there can be accidentals, i was given a practise one the other day it had 1 accidental, as for modulation, i dont think theres anything that says its not permitted, but i dont think they would throw it in cause thatd be pretty mean lol i know it'd probably screw me up

Sofstar

HSC
It could be anything really. Our teacher like yellow sub's does sight singing with us most lessons. It's just like a little song or something. You could possibly do it yourself, grab any music lying around and give yourself the starting note/chord and sing and then do it with the piano.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
It's pretty easy. You shouldn't really worry about it.
Check out the syllabus, it will tell you the rules regarding modulation, time sig. changes, etc.

And no, you don't have to have perfect pitch. They couldn't possibly require you to have it, as it's not really something you can learn... :)

cls

HSC
Is the sightsinging something like a folk tune? Cause I had my last year teacher lend me a book with short folk tunes in to practice. Will this help?

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
It could be.
You'll be able to practise with those once or twice, depending on how good your memory is.
When you practise sight-singing on the same pieces you'll start to remember what they are, rather than reading them.

jdevlin

annoyingly calm
HSC
Emma-Jayde said:
It's pretty easy. You shouldn't really worry about it.
Check out the syllabus, it will tell you the rules regarding modulation, time sig. changes, etc.

And no, you don't have to have perfect pitch. They couldn't possibly require you to have it, as it's not really something you can learn... :)
Actually you;re wrong...

You can learn perfect pitch... in fact anyone can learn perfect pitch...

In truth everyone is born with perfect pitch, you just have to learn how to use it... and generally you have to learn when your young, but there are processes for learning perfect pitch... and yes you can learn it, it just is hard.

I have pretty good relative pitch, but my teacher has perfect pitch... trust me it's more a curse then a blessing because you hear everything out of tune (according to her)

But, I digress...

For the Sight singing question they give you the tonic chord usually, and i think the starting note. Yes it's 8 bars in length, it can be in either compound or simple time... generally driple or duple.

It's 5/20 for performance so i suggest practicing sight singing 1/4 of the time when your doing your exam preparation.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
That's incorrect, true perfect (absolute) pitch cannot be learnt, though a fair approximation (usually with a single tonal reference) can be acquired through intense practice.

jdevlin

annoyingly calm
HSC
Phanatical said:
That's incorrect, true perfect (absolute) pitch cannot be learnt, though a fair approximation (usually with a single tonal reference) can be acquired through intense practice.
Hmmm... Maybe then you could tell me how people achieve perfect pitch?

I'll just run something by you... everyone is born with perfect pitch, it is how you recognise your parents voices, particularly your mothers...

So the use of perfect pitch is something that everyone has, and some select few learn how to use. But you can learn it.

Of course, you may not believe me, but if do your research (and i mean talking to people who know what they're talking about) I'm sure you'll come up with something similar. Of course, getting the perfect pitch is nearly impossible. It's a skill in itself.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
While there's debate about how perfect/absolute pitch comes about (some suggest there's a genetic link, others believe it's language-based and so on and so forth), it's generally agreed that if you're actively seeking to acquire AP, you're not going to be able to do it.

Research shows that most people with AP will begin formal musical training before the age of 6. It also shows that AP tends to aggregate among families (I know of a former classmate whose siblings separated by 10 years all have active absolute pitch), suggesting a genetic link. This is strengthened by the fact that among autistics and savants, instances of AP are significantly higher than the average. The research suggests that one first needs to be genetically predisposed towards absolute pitch, AND be trained from an early age accordingly to realise AP.

babylupin

HSC
defyinggravity said:
there can be accidentals, i was given a practise one the other day it had 1 accidental, as for modulation, i dont think theres anything that says its not permitted, but i dont think they would throw it in cause thatd be pretty mean lol i know it'd probably screw me up
lol defintely :) ...i woudl be screwed big time if there was any modulations! *shudders*:bomb: lol

2hi2u

HSC
lol how hard were all of the sightsingings this year !!!

so dodgy...
dam them!

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
  • It will be a piece you have never heard before (i.e. an original composition);
  • It will not modulate;
  • It may contain accidentals;
  • It will be 8-12 bars in length (for 2008 HSC);
  • It will most likely be in simple duple, or simple triple time (not simple driple time, contrary to popular belief. Lol.); and
  • You will be given the starting note.

gee-dee-enn95

HSC
Research shows that most people with AP will begin formal musical training before the age of 6. It also shows that AP tends to aggregate among families (I know of a former classmate whose siblings separated by 10 years all have active absolute pitch), suggesting a genetic link. This is strengthened by the fact that among autistics and savants, instances of AP are significantly higher than the average. The research suggests that one first needs to be genetically predisposed towards absolute pitch, AND be trained from an early age accordingly to realise AP.[/QUOTE]

This is true. I have perfect pitch and so does my brother, who is seven years younger than me. We both started Music and Movement at 18 months and piano at 4, music theory at 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)