Music = crap UAI (1 Viewer)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
hey peoples,
my music teacher has just decided to inform me that doing music 1 really screws up ur UAI! Music 2 will actually increase it but Music 1 is one of the most negatively scaled subjects. Aparently if you get within the top 1% in ur HSC which is around 98, your mark will be scaled down to 74. If you get within the top 10% in ur HSC, around 92 your marks will be scaled down to 70. AND if you get within the bottom 25% of the state in ur HSC which is around 72 your mark will get scaled down to 28 !! THAT IS ALMOST 50 MARKS!!!! Is it just me or am i really regreting taking up music 1?:mad: :confused:

tash

lalalala
HSC
r u serious???????????? i knew it didn't scale that well but not that badly! that' really depressing cos i could've done music 2. surely it can't get scaled that much that's really ridiculous. well i'll just have 2 try and get in the top 1% won't i???

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Hmm, your figures are wrong - it's not that bad.

Music 1 has had slightly below average scaling in both 2001 and 2002, but it's not "one of the most negatively scaled subjects". You can compare it with other courses here.

Though you should still aim to be in the top 1%. :)

chip

HSC
yeh i dont think the scaling is that bad........ thats a bit exaggerated your teacher just wants you to work harder

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i did music2 before dropping it at the beginning of the year.. from what i saw, the two music courses are quite different. i'm just saying that it's unlikely that a person will be just as comfortable in either course. so don't regret your choice if you're enjoying what you're doing.

Juliet

HSC
Well, yes. The scaling is down right crap. But it is a great course! I am loving it. It is a lot less stressful than some other subjects. If you are enjoying it like Toodulu said then don't regret it. Music has kept me sane, it is like an escape. It is so different from everything else. It will not screw up your UAI if you do well. :)

rhapsody_75

mm it cant scale that badly. all the girls who did music one last year from my school got above 95, and they werent exactly 4U maths students either. (this is what i keep telling myself anyway lol)

Scamsy

Yeah that's definately WRONG.

I think the scale is, if u get a 49 UAI in music, it'll get scaled to 47.
The board of studies released an article on this. Sorry i don't have the address, but if anyone wants it, i could e-mail the PDF file thing.

Yeah, just confirming, that is definately wrong... not to mention absurd.

k bye

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
music is good uai!!
well actually it probably isnt, but its fun nonetheless

Last edited:

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
hey don't worry man - everyone thinks music is like, sooo bludgey [and we all know it's not]....

and you won't get scaled down if you do well!!! my friend did music1, NO maths, adv english, art, soc & culture and all those other subjects that are looked down upon... and she got 97 :p

i'm not worrying about the scaling of music at all. just go with it, man!

ScAt_QueEn

hey all! MUSIC 1 ROCKS! that scaling sooooo doesn't seem right!. Anyway music is cool one subject where your natural talent flairs

guy

HSC
if you had no capitals in your nick it would be so much cooler

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
yeah, how sucky is it
i put my music marks for the trials into the uai seeker and it went down from 93 to 82.7
10.3 marks!!! and that's my best subject, i put so much more time into music than maths and other subjects that actually scale well, i'm so screwed!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
yeah this whole scaling thing really annoys me- i hate it how they think that some subjects are easier or harder and stuff... like they think that 4 unit maths and physics and shit are hard - well they are but so are many other subjects - theyre just different thats all. i mean theres nothing wrong with music 1 - i go to a performing arts high school and there are more people in our year that do music 1 than music 2 - that doesnt mean that theyre not as good as the music 2 people - theyre just 2 different courses. THeyre are heaps of great performers in music 1- they just play different styles of music thats all - therye more pop/jazz/film, theatre music etc. while music 2 course is more based on western art music... arghhh i do 3 art subjects plus general maths - imagine how low my uai is going to be.... - im a muso not a brainiac- i dont care about my uai i just want to concentrate on my trumpet playing - uai is just some bloody number while trumpet playing is an actuall skill - uai isnt going to get me much further in life - what if i become like an amazing trumpet player (i wish) and i was to audition for the sydney symphony but they wouldnt let me in cos my uai was too low? um.... i dont think so! who cares in a few years time were gona look back at the hsc and think what a joke it was!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
trumpetgeek, you won't really need a uai anyways, you're applying for the conservatorium, aren't you? :)

and i'm so jealous of you performing arts high school people... :(

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Crikket said:
trumpetgeek, you won't really need a uai anyways, you're applying for the conservatorium, aren't you? :)

and i'm so jealous of you performing arts high school people... :(
nooo dont be jealous of us! yeah i wont really be needing a UAI to get into the con.... well i actually i do need a UAI but im just not expecting it to be full high... YAY i got my year 12 semester 2 report.... i got 97 for music and i came first woohoooo!!! but the rest of my subjects were shit - i got like 59 for adv english and 62 for gen maths and 65 for design and tech.... whoa thats gona drag my uai down real bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)