** Music Industry ** (1 Viewer)

jkie

Heyz!
Does anyone know what University is the best to go to enter the music industry?
(eg, music production and stuff like that). I heard the entry is by auditioning. I don't know much about Music audtioning but would love to have it as my future.
Is there another way besides getting in through auditioning? If any of you have
information please post it up (eg, websites). Please dont post up any irrelevant things and act like clowns. If you know post, if you don't know then don't post. Simple as that.

Cheers!

doe

HSC
N/A
what exactly do you want to do? be a musician? or like work for a record label or something? if its the former id say the conservatorium of music or the latter do a business degree of some sort. theres a lot of people who want to work in the industry so a degree wont get you very far.

slip

HSC
it totally depedns what you want to do, so you need to be more precise inthe description you give us.

if you just want to play music in a band suitable for radio then the best way to do that is to just play music. becoming famous will be extremely hard.

if you want to learn about composition and that kinda thing then conservatoriums of music are more your sorta thing.

if your you want to be in the management side of the recording industry then there will be many options. there are uni degrees that will help business etc. there are also tafe degrees and there are other insitutions such as itchm which may help.

if you want to get into recording i will warning you that i've looked at it, and there are basically only 2 ways to get ahead. get promoted when someone in the industry dies or retires. put your own time and money into producing bands, and hope that you produce a hit which is highly unlikely.

if you want to organise concerts then the best option is really just to get out there and do it. you can learn most of what you need to know on the job.

jkie

like recording and producing ( how to use the recording studio)..
I know its not that easy to get in the industry..
Just need some advice on what to do thats all..
Cheers!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think there is a course at wollongong in sound production or something.

At UTS you can do media arts and production, where you learn how to do stuff for film production and you can major in sound production... then you have multiple options for when you graduate.... don't know much more about it though.

I think at some TAFEs you can do courses in sound production as well.

Don't know a lot about this, just telling you what I have heard. You should check out UAC, uni websites etc. Try and speak to some people in the industry.

slip

HSC
i doubt your going to get any good info here, your best off just looking around yourself. if you do choose to do this you will want to have a true passion for music, you could listen all day everyday for the rest of your life and be happy, you will need a good ear too.

goodluck

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
hah, don't go wollongong/sound production way.... it's in the conservatorium and its hella dodgy. lol.
i had a look around one of the private colleges (JMC Academy)- it wasn't bad, sound production and management looked especially good.
http://www.jmc.net.au/

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
natstar said:
Most prolly USYD at the conservatorium, tho depends what kinda music u want to get into. Your prolly better off going to a private college
natstar's right

one of our compulsary courses at the con is music technology

after that you go and do electronic music and sound recording if your really wanted to

after my four years of my degree, i could totally major in sound recording... but four years is far away so im not really making any decisions yet.

just that you have to be able to get into the con first with an instrument/composition etc.

so if you're not into being a musician, not even classical or jazz, don't go to the con....... yes you're probably better off going to a private college.....

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
There are a few places, The Syd Con. The Australian Insitute of Music and private colleges (although i really woudlnt suggest the Australian Insitute of Music- due to teaching skills/ fees and overall standards- trust me.. i went there lol ^_^)

nomore3x5

Music Mogul
HSC
I'm going to JMC Academy next year to do Music Business..
If you want to get into the business/management/marketing side of things, I'll warn you now.. its A LOT of luck..
I'm working with Lior, but only because one day I emailed him and said I liked his music offering my assistance. There is no job site or job paper to look in for this industry and its a damn hard slog. Its not all glamour, its hard work. If you're enthusiastic and passionate enough with a lot of initiative it'll pay off.. If not.. then. good luck....
Peace
Rach

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I would recommend a straight music undergraduate degree first in music. There are lots of courses that are supposedly designed for Arts Management, but if you look closely at most of the big names in the music world, they all have Bachelor of Music degrees.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Music Production, ahh im hoping to get a BA-Music Production combined with my B Media @ MQ.

First year
MUS100 - Reading Contemporary Music
Second year
MUS202 - Introduction to Music Technique
MUS203 - Virtual Studio Music Technology
Third Year
MUS300 - VST CD Production
MUS301 - World Musics
MUS303 - Screen Soundtracks
MUS311 - Digital Music Practice; Mixing and DJ-ing

Would probably be your 'cores' although the BA has no cores, that would be the subjects you'd want to do in MQ.

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/unitcodeprefix.php?edition=2005&ulevel=ug&unitCodePrefix=MUS

And you can branch out to virtually anything else for other subjects/electives :)

Also:

http://www.dcms.mq.edu.au/mra/index.html Master of Recording Arts

http://www.dcms.mq.edu.au/assets/pdf/jmc.pdf A program with JMC to be accepted in the BA course

Students wishing to graduate with a Coherent Study (ie a BA 'major') in Music Studies are required to pass MUS301, MUS303 together with two other 300 level music units.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Bachelor of Economics is pretty good for what you want to do

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
http://www.music.usyd.edu.au/FS/postgrad/study/courses/creative_sound.shtml

SCM is offering a series of graduate courses in Creative Sound Production.

Graduate Certificate in Music (Creative Sound Production)
Graduate Diploma in Music (Creative Sound Production)
Master of Music Studies (Creative Sound Production)

These programs are designed to provide students with the technical, aesthetic and artistic foundations to use the medium of sound recording to create just documentation of musical events, imaginative recorded representations of musical works, and original artworks utilising the recorded medium. The courses aim to train graduates who will demonstrate the necessary skills to effectively seek employment in production and creative roles within the music industry. Rather than straight technical training, the courses aim to produce well rounded or multi-skilled graduates who have developed conceptual as well as technical skills. This approach equips graduates with the necessary skills to operate effectively in a freelance context in small business and in a range of roles within larger organizations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)