Music Scoring/Composing Programs (1 Viewer)

BobMoo

HSC
I've tried notion i didn't find it too good, i think Finale is better. Just use Finale, get a midi to mp3 converter and it will sound great! just like a perfected live performance :p
btw i've never done music as a subject at school, but i'm looking to apply at USYD double degree with one degree being Bachelor of Music Studies, taking Composition as the principle study. Don't get me wrong I do compose, just never done Music as a subject, so I'm kind of lost as to what level of composition skills they're looking for... does anyone know?

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
I just completed year 12 music 2 and I gotta say hands down, Notion is the best value for money music writing program out there.
The interface is very similar to sibelius and finale, but it doesn't have all the extra features that is for very specific/experimental music. But it has all the basics, so unless you're writing something avant-garde, go for notion, it's got all you need. Not to mention being super cheap ($30) unlike sibelius' whopping $1000 price tag. Lastly, the playback is awesome, as all the instruments are recorded by the LSO.
So unless you know you want to continue music composition at the con, Notion is absolutely perfect for the hsc 10/10.

agilebeast0114

HSC
Now what should I be looking at here...

Sibelius?

Cakewalk?

There's another one I forgot about but I had trouble trying to figure out how to DO anything.

I mostly write my music by hand. I suppose that SOMETIMES it can be the best way, but GOD does it take ages. If not, then cakewalk. I wanna try and get an idea of other music programs to get comfortable.

Does anyone know what the conservatorium encourages you to use?
I'm looking at your way Phanatical...

EDIT: A year on, now at the Con, now I know :)
All i love is Bb

BananaFingers

HSC
I know this is a late reply but just for anyone out there, the latest musescore 4 is quite good for composing and notating and it's free, I actually preferred it over sibelius during my hsc core comp task. Cakewalk is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and it's a good tool for recording instruments, especially if you lack experience in that area, and I like that it comes with most of the "essential" virtual instruments and amps, as well as other audio affects, which really minimises a lot of the hassle that goes into recording music

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)