Music suggustions for Core Comp and Major comp (1 Viewer)

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
Does anyone have any suggustions for where to find some good contemporay music for my dances.

Last edited:

beksta

HSC
N/A
It can be difficult finding music. You need to really be picky and ensure that it relates to your intent.. rather than just picking it because you like it. All in all it really does depend on what you are looking for. Movie soundtracks can provide a wealth of music, but listen before you buy. If you find something you like by a composer, try searching them and look at other music they have composed and see if anything is suitable. There is no 'right place' place that you can go to and find exactly what you are looking for, it takes time and effort. Perhaps if you gave us an idea of what you are doing then maybe more suggestions would come in.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Try not to pick music with words... otherwise they can mark you down for having words in your music, which doesnt relate to teh dance, they can be really piccy bout music... MAKE SURE YOU HVE YOUR BACK UP TAPES/CD's !!!!! Gah
maybe look at Instrumental music, depending on what your intent/ ideas are, and make sure you go through it with your Teacher!!! always helps ^^;;

aimstar555

HSC
i know u wanted WHERE to find it, but here's a couple of pieces i know (was going to use before i dropped dance-did it 4 year 11)

*the Bone Collector soundtrack- the main theme is incredable, espically is it's a contemporary piece.
*anything from enigma is really good
*'i am ready' by the Counting crows-off the cruel intentions soundtrack-a friend of mine used it 4 her core comp.

these are just suggestions-like the other guys have said you should look at the theme/emotions that your trying to portray and the music should accompany those concepts. peace out :)

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
Thanks guys, :p :lol: .....
LOL,.... I stood in the music store for over 3 hours annoying the employee. LOL ... I reckon listened to almost all the music soundtracks in In2Music.
But I got my music, So thanks a bunch....

*Mwah*​

~becca~

HSC
well I don't know if u've tried but ur local library should have cds and its amazing some of the crazy and different music u can find there. There's usually heaps of soundtracks which are great for finding instrumentals and stuff. and theres usually a lot of unknown artists which is a huge bonus if the markers haven't heard the music, that way they have no preconceptions of a dance they may have already seen to that music if u get me?
ANyhoo good luck!

misspeta

HSC
try the finding nemo soundtrack..im doing "wow" of the cd its about a fish exploring their new home funny that hehe

alyceharrington

HSC
Hey,

i found alot of really good songs which didnt quite fit my concept/intent artist such as mum, bond, cirque du soleli there pretty good, ive heard the markers prefer if you ahve random music and that no one has the same, its also easier if you dont have words cause then you have to justify why you choose that song and how the words relate to your concept/intent. So its jst easier if you dont have them in the long run cause they need to realate to your conecpt/intent in everyway!

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
One thing.
With the music, becarefull. You don't want to pick music that is rather slow and overly 'dramatic' - you want something that will quite easily fit into the background, and inspires your dance. Don't go for very slow, and long lined melodies and so on, if your dance is more energetic.. Doesn't fit. Two people in my class made that mistake. Not good.

Grovers

HSC
Hey Gys!
I go to Newtown, and they suggest that you don't select music with lyrics because then you cant be creative with your concept/intent! Also. some really good songs or CD's for comp are -
* Master and Commanded
* Angela's Ashes
* Any Dead Can Dnce Music
* The Hours
* Any steve reich music
* Kronos Quartet
* Uakti Music
* Munich

If anyone wants anymore help or suggestions, message me!
Steph

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i dont do dance but i know of a cd with some really nice non-lyrics music...its called A Winter's Solstice II (Windham Hill Artists), some VERY nice danceable tracks on there, especially track 7...

viva_la_emma

HSC
its good to have good music but all in all you DONT i repeat DONT get marks taken off you or added if your music doesnt relate.... it just adds to the overall theme. and in the end you need good music for temporal and dynamic variation but you dont getmarked down becuz of what you choose.

beksta

HSC
N/A
viva_la_emma - So if your music is supposed to be adding to your overall theme then explain how it dosent matter whether your music relates or not...

Basically your music should be supporting your intent. If your intent is to show a discordance with the music then having something that does not relate would be suitable. But if your theme is about water, why would you choose to use a track which that features just percussion?... there is no link... therefore the overall unity of the piece is affected... So of course marks will not be awarded for that reason

ruby~wednesday

HSC
hey hey for my core comp. I ended up paying $150 for a sound engineer to

help me make a soundscape because I allready had a dance and I needed

something to fit, plus I'm really picky. But I dont suggest you do that- if you go

to dance performances like the Sydney Dance Company or Bangarra they

usually sell a CD of the music and it's pretty fantastic, otherwise if you pick

something unique and unusual your dance will probably be the same too, plus

it makes the whole process more interesting. Steve Reich is really good, and

some of Sonic Youth's stuff is really amazerfing- dont worry too much about

words, mayber try to take your intent from the music- probably a much better

way to go. Be artistic and make something you love- screw the marks.

yumchatakeaway

HSC
I used
Roizin Murphy- Ramalama- for My Core Comp
Roizin Murphy- Night Of the Dancing Flame- for my Core Performance
and
Pizzicati from the ballet Sylvia & Believe Me by Fort Minor (instrumental)- for my Major.

I was going to use Hard for Me- By tamara Jaber (instrumental) but it didnt fit with my work.

curlygirl93

HSC
Does anyone have any suggustions for where to find some good contemporay music for my dances.
look up soundtracks and songs from games such as halo .. usually have good music with different beats

anhbui

HSC
muxic without lyrics is best, as you show the movement and not movement to the literally words :)

kBOS

HSC
N/A
If you go onto your iTunes account and search under the genre you're looking for, you should find something. For example, my second phrase was based on technology so I went to the electronica section and just listened to the previews one by one in alphabetical order until I found something that suited what I had in mind :) also I a thought I had the other day is music from circus do'lei (i have nO IDEA how to spell that!) - it would be really varied and dynamic - plus with no lyrics - even better!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)