Music Theory! (1 Viewer)

Libra Swords

This is where we can get technical in music.
Whats behind the music and What makes music work?

:D So.....let the music begin!

Any of you play an instrument?
Any of you sing?

Libra Swords

I play the violin and sing soprano!

Thats cool! What instrument and what auctive
do you sing in??

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
flute, guitar, drums.... and the list goes on.. main is guuitar... i woulnd't know what octave in singing tho

MouNtY

i play piano and i sing, i'm also trying to learn how to play guitar...i'm not 100% sure what ocatve i sing in but i think i'm a baritone - tenor kinda thing....

chepas

HSC
I am trumpet, piano when chords need to be bashed out for a particular reason or melody dictation confirmation, and bass for voice.

I picked up a tenor sax last year, that was fun... sick fat lower register sounds :p~~~

sammeh

neonazi a counter-tenor? ;o go pro and make a god damn FORTUNE! that is my advice right there.

lets see. i've been playing piano since year 2 and have formal training in that instrument - my teacher (who is among the most hideously over qualified men i've ever met) says that im very talented but just damn lazy, this is an accurate appraisal. i also picked up guitar in yr 8 and taught myself a workable knowledge of the instrument, enough to pull off a semi-impressive solo and accompany myself singing. singing, well im a baritone with about a 1.5-2 octave range depending on the day, again self taught (enough singing in the bedroom can prepare you for anything ^^). and im sitting my 6th grade theory paper later this year.

overall, nowhere near enough music in my life, but hey it'll have to do :]

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
Originally posted by stareathesun
i play, piano, guitar, bass, a little drums, sing harmony, and thats about it
starting to pick violin back up again, its so pretty
i agree, violin is sweet!
i've always wanted to learn the violin, but my mother insisted i play piano first before i play other instruments, so i've been doing piano for AGGESSSS... but my main instrument is the bass guitar.
i still dont know how to play the violin :(

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
seems like everyone can actually sing here, is it something that comes naturally if you're a music student? coz i SUCK at singing and i wouldn't sing in public if someone payed me. i must be a mutant of the music students ... :p

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I CANT SING!!!!

and i dont try to... i play piano, did exams to third grade but my teacher was a practice nazi so i gave that up and now play at around a fifth grade level but i have no interest in doing exams again... i played clarinet for a little while till i had issues with my teeth and im interested in learning guitar.... i also teach piano regularly and musicology sometimes

chepas

HSC
Originally posted by Crikket
seems like everyone can actually sing here, is it something that comes naturally if you're a music student? coz i SUCK at singing and i wouldn't sing in public if someone payed me. i must be a mutant of the music students ... :p
Hehe, depends what you mean by singing. Like, the people with voice as their primary instrument, and those like me who do it with school choir and the odd outside group... voice is a very strange thing indeed... :confused:

olay

HSC
i used to sing - but i stopped lessons this yr cos of the hsc :(

i've been playing the piano since i was 5 but PLAYING the piano [as in enjoying it] since i was in yr 5. i play the guitar badly, am trying to play the bongos and have a harmonica i fiddle with occasionally. :) oh and a sax in my cupboard waiting for me to learn too..!!!! :)

chepas

HSC
My friend won an Fender guitar at the Sydney North Music Festival at Chatswood on Monday. She nearly died! Haha. SHe's swapping it for an acoustic though, but still. Winning a Fender, pretty all right.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
wish i could sing...

chepas said:
Hehe, depends what you mean by singing. Like, the people with voice as their primary instrument, and those like me who do it with school choir and the odd outside group... voice is a very strange thing indeed... :confused:
teehee :p
i mean if you sing and not get stuff thrown at u :D
and if you are good enough to not get kicked out of the school choir, which means that you, like the rest of the musos here ARE A GOOD SINGER!
i think i'll go into the corner and cry or something...hehehe

Libra Swords

Those of you who love and know your music.....

What do you like most about Music Theory?

Do you like sight reading? Like scales?
Like the rhythm?

(Remember: Music Theory is whats behind the music and what makes
music work.)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
hey libra swords,

did you know that in Australia, Libra is a brand of womens sanitary products??

Music theory isn't necessarily whats behind the music and what makes it work. Atonal music has theory and it doesn't always world :p

scales -- ok. good for showing off to people who don't know much about music... oh and they are good for warm ups too.

sightreading -- dont like it , probably because i suck at it. I like sightsinging though and i can do that -- it's compulsory here for the HSC Music 2 course.

rhythm -- depends on what kind. again, i'm not a great fan of arhythmic music or polyrhythmic music, probably because i like things with a pulse of some kind. That being said, if something is meant to be rubato and is played in strict time, that also doesn't work....

olay

HSC
i love sight reading!!! sight singing (non examinable) is fun too. :)

scales i'm not so much a fan of, especially arpeggios + dom 7ths.

in terms of theory, i love score reading :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)