Music - What are you playing right now? (1 Viewer)

Auto Wah

Cyberfret is a good website, i've learned much from it. There are better websites that goes deeper but cyberfret are good for beginners/intermediates

chord progression in other words meaning change of chord. Check out some of the Ramones (The Ultimate Punk band) songs (most punk bands now days derive from the Ramones). Any of their songs has the 3 chord progression.
Let's see what can we use as an example? Rockaway Beach by the Ramones are played with the progression C D G/A. The Root is definitely C so it's played in the progression of I II V (C D G) a common progression for punk. It can be played in any key, so you can play it in maybe i don't know A Major scale (A B E)
Or the chord progression can be I VIIb IVb, you use like Am G D etc 'Knocking on heaven's door' is written in that progression.

A lot of punk bands uses Suspended chords, Augmented chords, even diminished just so they think they'll sound different from older bands. But it's pretty much the same way how they write music. They want to write a song in a certain progression they'll use that progression then they play the songs in difference keys until it sounds like it's happening. Or maybe they pick the notes in that chord instead of playing it like that song from Green Day 'times of our life' (don't think thats what it's called)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Oh, sorry, I don't really understand what all those I II V progressions e.t.c. mean, so can you please give me a link so I can read about what they mean:)?

So when a band makes a song they follow set progressions, is that right? So they don't just decide to play one chord and then another if they fit well together:)?

Auto Wah

Merethrond said:
Oh, sorry, I don't really understand what all those I II V progressions e.t.c. mean, so can you please give me a link so I can read about what they mean:)?

So when a band makes a song they follow set progressions, is that right? So they don't just decide to play one chord and then another if they fit well together:)?
I II V is just the scale

ok this is one of the BEST website i've found http://www.torvund.net/guitar/lessons.asp

it has pretty much everything you need to know, just click on chord progression, but you also need to know about the major scales to understand the Roman Numeric Numbers. It just replaces the number in the scales, instead of writing C D E F G A B (also known as Tonic 2 3 4 5 6 7, Tonic is the root, or the first chord in the scale) you write I II III IV V VI VII VIII(Octave of I), it's just a way to present the scale.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Auto Wah said:
I II V is just the scale

ok this is one of the BEST website i've found http://www.torvund.net/guitar/lessons.asp
OK, thanks. I will have a look at that:).

Auto Wah said:
it has pretty much everything you need to know, just click on chord progression, but you also need to know about the major scales to understand the Roman Numeric Numbers. It just replaces the number in the scales, instead of writing C D E F G A B (also known as Tonic 2 3 4 5 6 7, Tonic is the root, or the first chord in the scale) you write I II III IV V VI VII VIII(Octave of I), it's just a way to present the scale.
Haha, I have a long way to go until I understand any of that:(.

Auto Wah

Merethrond said:
Haha, I have a long way to go until I understand any of that:(.
no worries, read from that website, it explains well with diagrams and pictures. If you've got time of course. You can understand everything. I was struggling with modes, Phrygian Dorian Ionian Mixolydian etc. You don't have to worry about that now. But after hours of reading i finally understood it completely. i've got new problems to tackle with. Minor scales is a bitch to understand.
Theory stuff can improve your ability to improvise/compose songs. Have fun playing around with it. :cool:

mack

Banned
HSC
I II V etc, simply means the respective harmonised chords from the particular major or minor key. For example II in the key of C major would be D minor.

Auto Wah, to work out a minor scale, you simply follow this pattern of intervals:

W-H-W-W-H-W-W

And about the tonic thing, there are names for the other scale degrees as well:

I-Tonic
II-Supertonic
III-Mediant
IV-Subdominant
V-Dominant
VI-Submediant
VII-Leading Tone

"Sweeping" is another term for sweep picking. Sweep picking is not like strumming a chord, you use the same right hand motion, but is used to execute arpeggio shapes at fast speed ala Yngwie Malmsteen. It is where the notes are not individually picked but rather "swept" with the right hand motion, whilst muting simultaneously so they dont bleed into each other.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Auto Wah said:
no worries, read from that website, it explains well with diagrams and pictures. If you've got time of course. You can understand everything. I was struggling with modes, Phrygian Dorian Ionian Mixolydian etc. You don't have to worry about that now. But after hours of reading i finally understood it completely. i've got new problems to tackle with. Minor scales is a bitch to understand.
Theory stuff can improve your ability to improvise/compose songs. Have fun playing around with it. :cool:
Thanks a lot:).

Just one last thing, could you tell me how you can tell if the guitarist is alternate picking (i.e. how doe sit sound different) and whether sweeping is the proper word for normal picking, i.e. just downward strumming? Thanks:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
mack said:
"Sweeping" is another term for sweep picking. Sweep picking is not like strumming a chord, you use the same right hand motion, but is used to execute arpeggio shapes at fast speed ala Yngwie Malmsteen. It is where the notes are not individually picked but rather "swept" with the right hand motion, whilst muting simultaneously so they dont bleed into each other.
Thanks mack:).

mack

Banned
HSC
Good news. Ive finally come to terms with the fact you are male.

Sorry, but it was like finding out Santa Claus doesnt exist when youre 8. It needs some time to sink in.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
mack said:
Good news. Ive finally come to terms with the fact you are male.

Sorry, but it was like finding out Santa Claus doesnt exist when youre 8. It needs some time to sink in.
Haha, what finally made you realise:p?

I know what you mean though, I could have sworn that "iambored" was a guy but it turns out I was wrong and I couldn't believe it for a minute:D.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Playing Muse - "Apocalypse Please"; and will play "Butterflies and Hurricanes" when I get ink for my printer >;D

They're lovely songs for the piano.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Merethrond said:
How do you know whether the guitarist is using alternate picking:confused:?
Can someone please answer this question, because I can tell:(.

Auto Wah

Merethrond said:
Can someone please answer this question, because I can tell:(.
Most guitarists don't really think about it when they're picking, Alternate picking is highly recommended because it's harder to get lose/lose track when you alternate pick.

You don't really need to tell wether the guitarist is alternate picking or not, cuz it really doesn't matter, you play the using whatever way that suits you the best. Some people hold their pick with 3 fingers are can still kick ass (2 fingers are more recommended maybe you've read that from cyberfret.com).

You just assume most of the time that the guitar player is alternate picking, cuz that's the only suitable thing to do. It's faster and a lot more accurate than just plucking the string in a downward motion. But if you have any style that's more comfortable for you and you're still able to play the song well then do that, there's no wrong way of how to pick.

you can alternate pick arpeggios if you want. But sweeping is more recommended because it's suitable for most people and people can play at a faster tempo while sweeping than alternate picking arpeggios.

Hope that helped a little

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
mack said:
Mate, Ive got a 100 watt amp and my death metal riffing has made the neighbours call up and threaten to get the cops over. If its too loud youre too old!
What brand do you play. And what guitar

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Merethrond said:
Haha, I don't think it is too loud, it is my mum, sisters, and dad when he is home that whinge. We are only talking about a 15 watt amp here too:rolleyes:.
Does your amp have a headphone-out jack? That will save you some hassles

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
final fantasy music rocks orite. i can play songs from just that forever and not get bored

piano:
-eternity ~ memory of lightwaves
-windcrest ~ the three trails
-besaid
-1000 words
-*learning* ending theme from ffx

mmmmm addicted to that music

ethereal_666

What sorta gear do u guitarists out there have?
I have
- Ibanez AX7221 seven string
- Samick 7-string
- Ibanez TCY10 semi acoustic
- a couple dodgy 6-strings
- Marshall 100watt ValveState
- Zoom GFX-707 pedal

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Auto Wah said:
Most guitarists don't really think about it when they're picking, Alternate picking is highly recommended because it's harder to get lose/lose track when you alternate pick.

You don't really need to tell wether the guitarist is alternate picking or not, cuz it really doesn't matter, you play the using whatever way that suits you the best. Some people hold their pick with 3 fingers are can still kick ass (2 fingers are more recommended maybe you've read that from cyberfret.com).

You just assume most of the time that the guitar player is alternate picking, cuz that's the only suitable thing to do. It's faster and a lot more accurate than just plucking the string in a downward motion. But if you have any style that's more comfortable for you and you're still able to play the song well then do that, there's no wrong way of how to pick.

you can alternate pick arpeggios if you want. But sweeping is more recommended because it's suitable for most people and people can play at a faster tempo while sweeping than alternate picking arpeggios.

Hope that helped a little
Thanks for that. So you usually just assume that they are alternate picking? The reason why I asked in the first place was that I read somewhere that they make a different sound:confused:.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Cactus said:
Does your amp have a headphone-out jack? That will save you some hassles
That is a good idea, but I don't know if I have one of those big headphone jacks:(.

ethereal_666 said:
What sorta gear do u guitarists out there have?
I have
- Ibanez AX7221 seven string
- Samick 7-string
- Ibanez TCY10 semi acoustic
- a couple dodgy 6-strings
- Marshall 100watt ValveState
- Zoom GFX-707 pedal
I am pretty sure that my guitar is pretty crap:(, but I am only learning so it is OK I guess:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)