music (1 Viewer)

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
i need serious help with listening exams in music. my responses are woeful and my real downfall
the music forum is basically empty and theres only one thing in the bos notes section
how do you guys approach these songs youve never heard before

phunky

hey, I did music last yr, and believe it or not, my listening was always beta then performing.
What i always did was to pretend that ur describing ur response to someone who doesn't understand music, so that ur responses are clear and explain what u hear clearly.
Try and just listen to the first playing, without writing anything, so that u hear the overall piece, and then depending on the question, u can jot notes in the next 2 playings and should be able to finalise answer by the last 2 playings.
I used to sit there and hear the music in layers. If i was suppose to answer the question on texture, and expressive techniques for example, i used to litsen to all the texture bits, write everything down that i hear with texture, then concentrate on getting the expressive technique. so u kinda work out each thing seperately and have ur notes ther, and then u can repate itand write it all out properly by the last playing.
i hope that helps. it's kinda vague cos it's hard to explain how to do it- my friends always thought it was werid that i was good at theory- I just could hear it... try listening to a lot of strange music to get u used to analysing pieces. ABC radio is pretty good. :)

Originally posted by mlagana
i need serious help with listening exams in music. my responses are woeful and my real downfall
the music forum is basically empty and theres only one thing in the bos notes section
how do you guys approach these songs youve never heard before
firstly ml, you got to know the song,become the song- firstly whatever it is download it from an internet site, get the head phones,play it and hmmm it several times.i u know what hmmmm is c , you should be right with playing it like a master

phunky

But it's a listening exam- chances are no one wil ever know what the song is- and even as u knew it, as if u would've analysied every song is this world to knwo it off by heart. My teacher made a cd with all the pieces from past papers and gave us all the past papers such as trials and actual exams- do them it helps loads.

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
good info... helps with my approach, which was basically hear the song and panic and realise you can only hear drums and its a big band song
thanks heaps gtg i write more later

phunky

I'm glad i kinda helped- anymore probs i'd be happy to help u out... a lot of ppl feel nervous about aural in the beginning of the yr, u usually pick up on it after practising a bit. Try it out, and analise some pieces for homework, and then compare it with friends and see if thir answers defer, sometimes u learn things from others becaus they can pick up things they hear about their instrument, then u'll know a bit more about what other instruments do, and be able to remember it for ur actual exam.

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
thanks alot your posts are very reasurring
hey how high did your UAI have to be to get into fine arts?

phunky

For my uni, we had to get 75 ( i think) and we get an interview. So they mark u in the interview outta 100, 9 we had to bring our portfolio, and theylook it it together with ur uai.
For music, I got like 85, which i was kinda disappointed with, but i think it was my lack of preparations for my exam in the practical side. hehe oops. I was always beta at the aural, which is y i think if u do what i did, u should be fine...
r u interested in fine arts?

Originally posted by phunky
But it's a listening exam- chances are no one wil ever know what the song is- and even as u knew it, as if u would've analysied every song is this world to knwo it off by heart. My teacher made a cd with all the pieces from past papers and gave us all the past papers such as trials and actual exams- do them it helps loads.
i suppose you could also ask past students about the songs teachers have used in the past.Even a slight clue from previous experience may help with ml's preparation

phunky

The reason why listening may be hard is the fact that they never repeat the same piece twice in exams. I mean there are millions of songs in this world, and they pick 4 for the exam... so u don't really get any clues.
The only way to do well, is to know ur musicla concepts well and know what they are and what to look out for ( texture, expressive techniques, sound sources etc etc)
Lots of listening may help, but ultimately, it'll be a piece u have neva heard b4.
i used to compare answers alot. I mean, a guy in my class who played the trombone used to pick up all the brass instrument techniques that i would neva hear- and by comparing my answer with him, I knew what to look for in future exams where i might have to analyse a jazz piece.
You are obviously going to know ur own instrument beta then others. You just have to talk to ppl, and see who other ppl do it. there are so many methods.
I find the listening for "layers" the best technique. it always works for me. ;)

i like these tips, i think the songs in listening exams are parallel to the questions you get in the hsc english exams.You never really know what they are, and you're never completely prepared but if you listen to enough music and study the notes, you at least have the knowledge to tackle most songs that comes your way in the tests.

phunky

Hehe, I am glad that you find my tips useful. It is after all kinda hard to teach someone when there's no really specific question to tackle. lol.
Anyway I am glad to help out, if theres a piece in particular u need help with ( that is any of u) i would be more then happy to help u out. Just umm, send me the piece of music somehow!
(man i am finding myself addicted to this forum again... not good- after pulling myself away from it after the hsc!)

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
yeah well last years yearly music had purple haze by jimi hendrix, which i know like the back of my hand, unfortunately it was a version by all violins

yeah i wanna do fine arts for sure. i wanna go to southern cross at lismore but i dont wanna board there, whats your uni like? heaps of prac?

phunky

hey!
I haven't started uni yet- it starts on the 10th. but if ur interested and want more info that i can't give u, then check out the website www.usyd.edu.au/sca I believe there is going to be quite an amount of prac- i'll let u know once i start!
The uni is so awesome, not only do i get the benefits of the mian campus ( since i am still part of USYD) i also get teh quietness of our campus out in Rozelle. it's the site of the old psychiatric hospital so it's kinda spooky but it's really cool. there are so much stuff u can do, and u don't have to do fine arts either, there's also media arts and objects and design. u should really check it out if ur interesed. I was hardly prepared for my interivew, just took pics of everything i've ever painted and drawn and shoved it as a powerpoint presentation, and they asked me a few questions. I was told it was going to be sooooooooooo competetive and i thought that's it i'm not in! but then i got my letter and i found out that my studio was the most applied for, and only 35 got in out of somethingl ike 400 to do painting. man i was over the moon!
anyway back to music, seriously, don't stress too much. the markers understand that u have nevaer heard these bloody things b4, so they are not expecting u to write a book! u just have to be able to describe and write a concise answer. if u hear it, write it down! it's all about practising listening to a piece of music in terms of all the technical stuff and not just enjoying it. i'm sure u'll be fine... try it out and let me konw if u improve. :)

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
is the campus opposite a graveyard? because my sister does a physio course opposite a graveyard which is wierd because they work with dead bodies

as for music, i'll keep you posted :) thanks heaps

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
yeah they r called kadivers. once she got just a head, and it still had a moustache and its eyes open! cut at the neck

phunky

y the hell does she need to go to a cemetry for a physio course?? it's like hey hey lets see what bargains we find today! oops this one has a cut on the neck!! lol man that is freaky stuff... i'll stick to art.. thanks! lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)