• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muslim People in Australia (1 Viewer)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Sorry! I didn't know a simpleton like me wasn't allowed to argue with you :(
nah dude... to be honest i just wanted a few more intelligent sydney students to join those boards... :rofl:
Also it does cost a bit of money for the certificate; but theres alot of added benefits to joining... it's a lifetime membership... mainly for people who want to discuss things with people of a certain intelligence.... (which is what draws alot of people to these boards...)

davin

HSC
N/A
the definition of "added benefit" is much in question here

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea but you do realise;

a) it's a scam
b) the test is dubious, i've actually done that test before and let the timer go out on almost every single question and still had a score meriting me access to the society...

But thanks for clearing it up :eek:

Collin

HSC
N/A
Wasn't this notorious scam discussed in NS? I remember you talking about how you let that timer run. And I guessed everything and still got around 100, which believe it or not is the *gasp* average IQ. Shit, we humans must have gone stupiderrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The great, yet ironic thing about this scam is that it manages to engage the more retarded people around into believing it's legitimate. Rofflecopter :eek:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Lol trust me its pretty accurate; theres alot inside.

davin

HSC
N/A
i'm speculating they don't have $80 worth of stuff
though i'll give em one thing...the trivia quiz was fun

K

katie_tully

lol @ paying $80 for a website membership, just so you can recieve some mass manufactured certificate stating that "you're smart".

far as i know, mensa is the only club you can join where your intelligence is certified.

that's the most retarded thing i've ever heard, but whatever helps you sleep at night.

davin

HSC
N/A
you pay for Mensa, too, so theres not that much of a difference.

the trick would be a test where the organisation grading you has no financial incentive to pass you, and ideally, not that expensive anyway

Collin

HSC
N/A
There's a few clubs out there where prerequisite-entry conditions are based on a high-level of certified intelligence. The 'highest' is the 'Giga Society', where potential candidates must score at or above the 99.9999999th estimated unselected population percentile on any of the acceptable tests. That's roughly one in a billion people which roughly equates to an IQ of 196. :rofl: Currently there's only 6 people in the club, and by definition I wouldn't expect many more left in the world still being eligible of entry.

Ogm my brain hurts!

davin

HSC
N/A
Collin said:
There's a few clubs out there where prerequisite-entry conditions are based on a high-level of certified intelligence. The 'highest' is the 'Giga Society', where potential candidates must score at or above the 99.9999999th estimated unselected population percentile on any of the acceptable tests. That's roughly one in a billion people which roughly equates to an IQ of 196. :rofl: Currently there's only 6 people in the club, and by definition I wouldn't expect many more left in the world still being eligible of entry.

Ogm my brain hurts!
purely by definition, it would be impossible for anyone else to join. secondly, i'd highly doubt it unless one member is from india and one is from china.

K

katie_tully

Regardless of whether you pay to be in Mensa, atleast it proves you're smart.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
The difference between mensa and hiqs is with mensa... theres only weekly meetings and only within your area.
With hiqs, the tests are alot more accurate/they pay hundreds of professionals to formulate those tests.
To make the questions based on a persons mental capacity and not their aquired intelligence.

It does feel a bit... like a scam... but if you were gonna spend the money on junk what the hell? its worth it.

davin

HSC
N/A
if its not supposed to be on aquired intelligence, why did that site mention trivia as a portion of it?

HSC
sam04u said:
It does feel a bit... like a scam... but if you were gonna spend the money on junk what the hell? its worth it.
Dude give me your money, I'll tell you that you're smart as long as the money keeps coming.

katie_tully said:
Nobody gives a shit how smart any of you think you are.

Back on topic.

Is Islam peaceful?
http://www.slate.com/id/117525/
Last paragraph pretty much says it all I think. It really does make you wonder though when you somehow manage to crowd so many maniacs, the type who will react violent to cartoons, the type who will consider putting someone to death for following a different religion, the type who will stone people to death for being raped, whatever, into one religion. For a peaceful religion, there appear to be an awful lot of exceptions to the rule.

K

katie_tully

Islamic fundamentalists are violent, and there are roots of this violence to be found both in the Quran and the cultural history of Islam. At the same time, this is a faith with a billion adherents of every race and color, in countries across the globe, with hundreds of different sects and movements. Peaceful Muslims are practitioners, too.
My issue is, if the Peaceful Muslims far outweigh the Radical Muslims, why aren't they joining with the rest of the world to rid themselves and us of extremists? Why do they stand there and tell us this is all just a backlash over West's hate for Islam, and that Islam is misunderstood?

HSC
katie_tully said:
My issue is, if the Peaceful Muslims far outweigh the Radical Muslims, why aren't they joining with the rest of the world to rid themselves and us of extremists? Why do they stand there and tell us this is all just a backlash over West's hate for Islam, and that Islam is misunderstood?
Agreed, that on its own in a uniform manner would do wonders for the perception of Islam, rather than the "oh, you can't critcise another muslim, they're just interpreting it wrong, but it's not my place to call them out on being a maniac, allah's will etc!" approach, which really looks a lot like support or at very least indifference.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
See they have issues with it, because often at the heart of it I think they sympathise with many of the 'extremists' - they understand why they are bombing people - they know why they're angry... they just choose not to participate in such behaviour themselves. It's like your common racist who may dislike the KKK because they kill people and they have issue with that, but that agree with them on the principle that white people are losing their culture or whatever. It's hard to take a hardline stance against a group of people whom ideologically are very similar to you, just practice it in different ways.

Another example would be greenies and the animal liberation front... they agree with them ideologically, that animals need to be saved etc, but disagree with their methods. That disagreement isn't enough for them to feel comfortable totally condemning the animal liberation front.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)