• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Must visits in South Africa (1 Viewer)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I'll be in South Africa for three weeks June-July. Such a big country and unfortunately such limited time, besides Cape Town what are must see destinations and hidden gems.

Where should one not travel? I've been informed that parts of the Garden Route are not safe...

I also want to delve into (even if only briefly Lesotho and Swaziland)

I'll have a hire car.

rasengan90

HSC
I had a great uncle who went to South Africa ~1900. He says Cape Town sucks.

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A
Cape Town is one of the most amazing cities in the world.
Jo'berg is a dump.
Durban is a dump.
We drove the Garden route from durban to Cape Town and it was stunning. That was back in 2001/2002. So it may well have turned to shit since then. But some of the towns along the way, towards the Cape Town end are great, loaded with character.
J-Bay was tip top, particularly if you like your surfing.
We went to Vic Falls in Zimbabwe, and a brilliant game park, but probs not the best place to hang around at the moment...

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
An aunty said that there are dangerous parts of the Garden Route between Durban and Cape Town so that you could only travel on it so far before you had to fly? I figured Durban would be a dump but thought that at least in Joburg there would be that whole cultural shock factor...what about Pretoria? That looks like it has some nice colonial buildings...

КГБ

Banned
HSC
South africa have muslims. and your jew. so, should you still go?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I'm meant to be heading to South Africa for the World Cup next year with a bunch of mates but we are seriously contemplating just spending two weeks or so there and say a month in Europe. I don't know whether the influx of tourists will make the country more or less safe.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
South africa have muslims. and your jew. so, should you still go?
So does Australia, and even Israel for that matter...a lot of kosher products are made in South Africa, next time you're in your local coles check the kosher aisle. :) Haha.

I once went to Auburn. But I wore a baseball cap.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
I'll be in South Africa for three weeks June-July. Such a big country and unfortunately such limited time, besides Cape Town what are must see destinations and hidden gems.

Where should one not travel? I've been informed that parts of the Garden Route are not safe...

I also want to delve into (even if only briefly Lesotho and Swaziland)

I'll have a hire car.
Apparently the whole of Jburg is a no-go zone once the sun sets.

My uncle went South Africa for about a month and returned minus a wallet, mobile phone and a pair of undies.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Sandton in the far north is a gated, patrolled community which has all the international hotels - will be staying there on our two days in Jozy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)