MX2 and Hospitality, a weird subject combo? (1 Viewer)

vinlatte

HSC
I'm curious to know about thoughts on this combination of subjects.

I wanted to take MX2 since yr 10, because I knew that I would want to challenge myself to the highest level in maths for high school. My subject choices for yr 11 kept changing due to classes being cancelled for low numbers of students. Eventually, I also chose hospitality as I was intending to complete a VET course.

Since MX2 is such a high scaling subject compared to hosp, how would the scaling of my ATAR work? I ranked 1st in yr 11 hosp, math adv and MX1 in school ranked 450+.

Also for students that do MX2, what are their usual combination of subjects?

There's a lot of questions because I'm so clueless on how the combination of low and high scaling subjects will work.

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Usually people in 4u take the big4 so to speak..

Eng Adv, Maths Ext1, Maths Ext2, Physics, Chem.

What questions do you have? What's wrong with having a lower scaling subject with a high scaling one? You should just do what you like.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
How is economics in year 11? Easy? or is there lots of writing and content

vinlatte

HSC
How is economics in year 11? Easy? or is there lots of writing and content
I was struggling in the subject that I was actually considering dropping it. But towards the end of the year, the concepts became clearer and I ended up enjoying the subject. I did the subject because my ranking in eco was better than business studies.

But I wouldn't say it's easy. You need to make connections and remember concepts and be able to explain it using economic metalanguage.

There was quite a bit of writing, but mostly research. Linking current events to economic concepts helps to provide examples that you can explain in your extended responses.

If you did commerce in yr 9 and 10, it might make it easier to link the concepts to your existing knowledge.

It really depends on the person, but if you are interested in economics then just go for it.

Last edited:

vinlatte

HSC
Usually people in 4u take the big4 so to speak..

Eng Adv, Maths Ext1, Maths Ext2, Physics, Chem.

What questions do you have? What's wrong with having a lower scaling subject with a high scaling one? You should just do what you like.
Huh I didn't know there was a big 4, does that mean that MX2 students have predictable subject patterns?

I think, compared to other combinations including MX2, that my combination of subjects are easy or not challenging enough for a high ATAR. Especially that I don't have much content heavy subjects, aside from economics and maths.

But I would agree with you that they are subjects I like, so maybe scaling doesn't matter? I haven't thought of it like that, so thank you.

quickoats

HSC
Any combination of subjects is fine as long as you’re happy with them. If you enjoy the lower scaling courses, you’ll put more effort into them, which will be a far greater reward markswise than not doing so well in a high scaling subject. It’s very possible to get a 99+ atar doing all “low scaling subjects”, but since you’ve got MX2 on your side, that will certainly boost your ATAR, so I wouldn’t worry too much about scaling.

Regarding typical combos with MX2, it’s more common to see people doing the Big 4 or Asian 4/5 (Adv Eng, MX2, Chem, Phys and Eco OR Bio), since it makes ‘sense’, but you’ll come across plenty of strange combos like mine.

For me personally, the only issue I’ve had with having a weird combination is timetabling. Since schools usually put subjects that are different in the same slot, sometimes you’ll get a clash and have to figure that out.

vinlatte

HSC
for eco do you do tutoring?
No, I don't do tutoring for any subject because I don't like the idea of going to extra classes. Instead, I always ask the teachers after class for any clarification and they sometimes provide extra reading material like textbooks or worksheets.

vinlatte

HSC
Any combination of subjects is fine as long as you’re happy with them. If you enjoy the lower scaling courses, you’ll put more effort into them, which will be a far greater reward markswise than not doing so well in a high scaling subject. It’s very possible to get a 99+ atar doing all “low scaling subjects”, but since you’ve got MX2 on your side, that will certainly boost your ATAR, so I wouldn’t worry too much about scaling.

Regarding typical combos with MX2, it’s more common to see people doing the Big 4 or Asian 4/5 (Adv Eng, MX2, Chem, Phys and Eco OR Bio), since it makes ‘sense’, but you’ll come across plenty of strange combos like mine.

For me personally, the only issue I’ve had with having a weird combination is timetabling. Since schools usually put subjects that are different in the same slot, sometimes you’ll get a clash and have to figure that out.
Yeah, my timetable messed up because of my MX1 and MX2. For business, my class had a teacher change after term 1, but I had to move to another class with other students because of a clash with MX1. Now that I dropped business, I would've had more early days but MX2 was moved to the last period on two days leaving a free period inbetween.

Thank you for your feedback. It does make sense that low scaling subjects could contribute to a high ATAR if I did well.

Also, what is your strange combo of subjects??

vinlatte

HSC
U did advanced math right? How was it in year 11?
There was definitely a difference in the difficulty from yr 10 to yr 11. Topics of algebra, quadratics, inequalities, functions and trig that we learnt in yr 10 was re-introduced. New topics included calculus, probability, trig functions and equations, and exponential and logs.

It is content-heavy so I would recommend to write effective notes that explain each step when solving equations. Practice a few questions with writing a step-by-step explanation then once you are confident in remembering the steps, solve more questions like you would in an exam. Even teaching other classmates helps to remember the steps.

I don't want to scare you from taking math adv, but many students in my year group dropped to standard. It was because we had more students than our school typically had for adv math. It started at 60 to the current number of 15-ish.

I did pretty consistently throughout the year but did lose marks in exams due to silly mistakes. And even if I'm yr 12 right now, my class is still going through yr 11 content. There's a 'spare' term in yr 12 for catch up content.

If you are willing to challenge yourself in maths, then go for it. However, if you do drop mid-year or in yr 12, the std math content may seem very easy. There is a quite a huge gap in difficulty from std to adv.

Last edited:

Cherrybomb56

HSC
really, thanks for the advice, if it's okay with you but how many hours a day/week did you focus on math, english and eco?

vinlatte

HSC
really, thanks for the advice, if it's okay with you but how many hours a day/week did you focus on math, english and eco?
Honestly, I didn't think about how much time I was spending on my subjects. Economics and english teachers gave homework often, and I would sometimes do it. It wasn't the best habit and I'm making a goal to actually complete tasks (hopefully I'll start breaking the habit soon). I tried to complete as much of the school work during school hours, and ask many questions to my teachers for clarification. In eco, I would always borrow or bring my laptop to research any concepts and context the teacher mentions, so I follow along and understand as they explaining.

Yr 11 is like a free trial for yr 12. I realised that my study habits weren't great and I would need to space out more time for assignments and studying, than just cramming studying before an exam or procrastinating on an assignment. Especially with MX2, it requires more self-study since there's only one class per week.

It doesn't really matter if you put in more time or less, as long as you are studying the way it fits your schedule, suits your way of learning, and that you are spreading out your study time throughout the year. The goal is to understand your subjects, not counting the hours of study.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Honestly, I didn't think about how much time I was spending on my subjects. Economics and english teachers gave homework often, and I would sometimes do it. It wasn't the best habit and I'm making a goal to actually complete tasks (hopefully I'll start breaking the habit soon). I tried to complete as much of the school work during school hours, and ask many questions to my teachers for clarification. In eco, I would always borrow or bring my laptop to research any concepts and context the teacher mentions, so I follow along and understand as they explaining.

Yr 11 is like a free trial for yr 12. I realised that my study habits weren't great and I would need to space out more time for assignments and studying, than just cramming studying before an exam or procrastinating on an assignment. Especially with MX2, it requires more self-study since there's only one class per week.

It doesn't really matter if you put in more time or less, as long as you are studying the way it fits your schedule, suits your way of learning, and that you are spreading out your study time throughout the year. The goal is to understand your subjects, not counting the hours of study.
okay thanks for the advice, and one last questions did you buy textbooks for any of your subjects in year 11?

vinlatte

HSC
okay thanks for the advice, and one last questions did you buy textbooks for any of your subjects in year 11?
No, I borrowed my textbooks from my teachers. In MX1 and MX2, the teacher uses the textbook for the lesson so we were given our own copies. I also requested additional math textbooks from my other math teacher. I also borrowed an economic textbook for a few weeks.

Right now, I have 4 textbooks. Teachers are willing to lend textbooks as long as you take care of them. Sometimes if you request a textbook they don't have, they might order a new copy.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
No, I borrowed my textbooks from my teachers. In MX1 and MX2, the teacher uses the textbook for the lesson so we were given our own copies. I also requested additional math textbooks from my other math teacher. I also borrowed an economic textbook for a few weeks.

Right now, I have 4 textbooks. Teachers are willing to lend textbooks as long as you take care of them. Sometimes if you request a textbook they don't have, they might order a new copy.
oh ok thanks. What's the change from year 10 to 11?

vinlatte

HSC
oh ok thanks. What's the change from year 10 to 11?
The workload does increase since teachers expect a level of study similar to the HSC. But it really depends on your study habits and ethics and how willing you are to adapt to the changes.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
The workload does increase since teachers expect a level of study similar to the HSC. But it really depends on your study habits and ethics and how willing you are to adapt to the changes.
nice, do you think extension math is similar to 5.3 year 10 math or will be easy for students who did this course?

vinlatte

HSC
nice, do you think extension math is similar to 5.3 year 10 math or will be easy for students who did this course?
Uh I'm not sure what level 5.3 yr 10 math so I can't say how similar it'll be. I think ext math is good for students who are able to make connections between their adv and ext concept. They should also be willing to put more effort as another unit of math adds more workload.

You won't really know how much easy or difficult it'll be until you take ext math classes for a few weeks. Ultimately, it really depends on the person. So I would suggest that if you are interested in ext math, take the class. You can always discuss with your teachers about the math ext content.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Uh I'm not sure what level 5.3 yr 10 math so I can't say how similar it'll be. I think ext math is good for students who are able to make connections between their adv and ext concept. They should also be willing to put more effort as another unit of math adds more workload.

You won't really know how much easy or difficult it'll be until you take ext math classes for a few weeks. Ultimately, it really depends on the person. So I would suggest that if you are interested in ext math, take the class. You can always discuss with your teachers about the math ext content.
oh ok. Btw By 5.3 math I was talking about advanced math but you answered my question. It's okay. Also do you think moving schools really impacts your studies and HSC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)