MX2 Marathon (1 Viewer)

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Does anyone have a cheat sheet for proving shapes in complex numbers? Whenever I'm given a question like "prove these complex points form a parallelogram" I never know how to prove it and the answer's always smthn random like "the diagonals bisect each other". So is there a method of knowing the proof for each shape?

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
Does anyone have a cheat sheet for proving shapes in complex numbers? Whenever I'm given a question like "prove these complex points form a parallelogram" I never know how to prove it and the answer's always smthn random like "the diagonals bisect each other". So is there a method of knowing the proof for each shape?
just look up properties lol. no way of getting around that

liamkk112

HSC
u just got to memorise the quadrilateral properties no way around it

usually though:
- parallelogram -> pairs of equal side lengths, parallel sides
- square -> equal side lengths, 90 degrees between sides, parallel sides
- rectangle -> 90 degrees between sides, parallel sides
- rhombus -> pairs of equal side lengths, parallel sides, diagonals meet at 90 degrees and bisect

there r also kites but i forget how those work and they're relatively uncommon

Luukas.2

HSC
There is always a purely algebraic method, which is usually awful. There are sometimes purely geometric methods (like for arg(z - i) = arg(z + 1) etc.). If there isn't an obvious purely geometric approach, the efficient answer is likely to involve:
  • treating the complex numbers as vectors
  • looking for geometric properties that proves the required result
  • demonstrating these properties through algebraic representation of vectors
For example... the complex number z represents a point A in the first quadrant. If O is the origin, B lies in the second quadrant, and OACB is a square, find the complex number representing point C. Under what conditions is C located in the second quadrant.

A diagram should make it obvious that side OB is adjacent to side OA in the square.

Properties of a square then dictate that OB = i.OA, and so the complex number iz represents B.

Then, using vector reasoning:

Hence, the point C is represented by z(1 + i), and so is in the second quadrant if

from the diagram (as A must be in quadrant 1 and, for C to be in quadrant 2 given angle COA is 45 degrees, OA must be inclined at at least 45 degrees above the real axis), or (algebraically), by solving:

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
what bs is this. Can someone plz explain to me how these r equal
rh534tgerhtrg4r.PNG

Last edited:

liamkk112

HSC
what bs is this. Can someone plz explain to be how these r equal
View attachment 42231
if z-1/z+1 is purely imaginary, then the real part is zero, aka that x(x+1) + y(y-1) = 0
=> x^2 + x + y^2 - y = 0
=> x^2 + x + 1/4 + y^2 - y + 1/4 = 1/4 + 1/4 (completing the square)
=> (x+1/2)^2 + (y-1/2)^2 = 1/2
so basically it should be = 1/2, u can see they made a mistake because they noted that radius is 1/sqrt(2) which makes sense if
(x+1/2)^2 + (y-1/2)^2 = 1/2

liamkk112

HSC
if z-1/z+1 is purely imaginary, then the real part is zero, aka that x(x+1) + y(y-1) = 0
=> x^2 + x + y^2 - y = 0
=> x^2 + x + 1/4 + y^2 - y + 1/4 = 1/4 + 1/4 (completing the square)
=> (x+1/2)^2 + (y-1/2)^2 = 1/2
so basically it should be = 1/2, u can see they made a mistake because they noted that radius is 1/sqrt(2) which makes sense if
(x+1/2)^2 + (y-1/2)^2 = 1/2
also there should be an open circle at (-1, 0) as this would make the denominator 0

Luukas.2

HSC
also there should be an open circle at (-1, 0) as this would make the denominator 0
And is also impossible, as it makes

which is not purely imaginary - so two open circles, at opposite ends of a diameter.

Luukas.2

HSC
what bs is this. Can someone plz explain to me how these r equal
View attachment 42231
Note that a purely geometric approach would provide the graph, with the points and excluded, and is quicker:

Geometrically, this statement tells us that the angle between the vector from to and the vector from to is a right angle.

Applying the converse of the angle in a semicircle theorem, it follows that lies on one of the two semi-circles whose diameter is the interval joining and .

The two end points of the diameter, and , are excluded from the locus as each results in one of the two vectors being the zero vector, and hence one of the two arguments being and thus undefined.

---

Taking the algebraic approach, the two constraints that lead to points being excluded are that and . The point (-1, 0) violates both constraints, whilst the point (0, 1) violates only the second constraint.

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Can someone plz explain to me the second last line of reasoning? That is: z1^2 + z2^2 = z1^2*(1+a^2). How did they get that?
jakaksjfj.PNG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)