My academic standing is at PROBATION!! (1 Viewer)

oct25

HSC
I'm really worried right now.

I began my science degree at UNSW in 2009, but started getting anxiety and panic attacks during my first semester (failing all my subjects). Anyway, I ended up failing that semester, and quit my degree right afterwards, way too depressed to go on. I've now overcome this through family.

I reapplied through UAC for 2010, and to my surprise, I was accepted into Economics at UNSW! (apparently because I'd only done 0.5 yrs full time study) I have gone through the process of accepting offer and enrolling.

However, on the 'my student profile' of MYUNSW, my academic standing is at probation. This is under the 'semester 1 2009' option.

On the other hand, under the 'semester 1 2010' option, it just says 'Academic Standing is not determined until all results are released.'

Does this mean I'm still on probation or is this erased as I start my new course. I'd be really devasted if I'm still on probation even as I enter a completely different degree since I was really looking forward to having a clean slate and starting over.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks!!

rx34

HSC
Does this mean I'm still on probation or is this erased as I start my new course. I'd be really devasted if I'm still on probation even as I enter a completely different degree since I was really looking forward to having a clean slate and starting over.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks!!
Honestly, if you want to have a clean slate (no fails on academic transcript), you need to go to a different university and not apply for credit exemption. Even though you are starting a different degree at the same university, when you finish your economics degree, I am very sure that they will print your 'fails' from your uncompleted science degree. They 'might' even take into account your failed science units when calculating your WAM and GPA for the economics degree.

However, if you apply to Sydney University to do economics and apply for NO credit exemption, they will not print your failed units from UNSW. I think this would qualify as a clean slate because your GPA and WAM would be calculated for USyd courses instead of including the UNSW courses.

Sgt Grumbles

Banned
HSC
N/A
At UNSW your academic transcript is wiped clean if you transfer between departments. They just apply credit exemptions to your transcript, so you can still stay at UNSW if you want to. You will have to transfer to a new department.

Lydia_88

HSC
I'm really worried right now.

I began my science degree at UNSW in 2009, but started getting anxiety and panic attacks during my first semester (failing all my subjects). Anyway, I ended up failing that semester, and quit my degree right afterwards, way too depressed to go on. I've now overcome this through family.

I reapplied through UAC for 2010, and to my surprise, I was accepted into Economics at UNSW! (apparently because I'd only done 0.5 yrs full time study) I have gone through the process of accepting offer and enrolling.

However, on the 'my student profile' of MYUNSW, my academic standing is at probation. This is under the 'semester 1 2009' option.

On the other hand, under the 'semester 1 2010' option, it just says 'Academic Standing is not determined until all results are released.'

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks!!
My best bet is to contact student administration about that. I think since you have started a new degree, there is a chance that you can be under 'good standing'....or there is a possibility that the probation standing is carried (i hope this is not the case!)

oct25

HSC
My best bet is to contact student administration about that. I think since you have started a new degree, there is a chance that you can be under 'good standing'....or there is a possibility that the probation standing is carried (i hope this is not the case!)
Thanks! By this do you mean for me to contact student central? Or my actual science department?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)