My Internet and computer is f*d----n e comp experts here? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
Today this fucked up man came to set up an internet connection for my second computer. I've got Telstra Cable....now I wanted both comps to have a cable connection. This man wasn't from Telstra, he's from another comp. company who we asked to come.

The problems are on the old comp whereas the new comp is fine.

He installed a D-LINK stuff, a router stuff etc etc.
BUT here's my prob.:

1. For some stupid reason Windows Media Player won't work! All my movies won't work. It worked yesterday! (i have win xp)
Files in my shared folder won't play and Kazaa Lite won't download.

Sometimes u can hear the movie but the program won't start AT ALL. A sign appeared saying:
! An internal application error has occurred

2. Some sites are very slow and have different layouts.
Eg. my boredofstudies homepage, the one u see before u go to the forum. Here, the word "menu" appears but the buttons don't appear. Eg. buttons like "forum" so i havta scroll down and follow another link.
Howver, on the new comp the BOS site is fine

Similarly wif yahoomail.........the layout is different on the old comp. A page appeared b4 logging onto yahoomail saying smthng about my browser not letting these settings appear.

Could it be viruses? Or maybe that dickhead messed my computers? If it's a virus, how did i catch it........and so easily?

Thing is i have no antivirus (PC Cillin) on my old comp n e more cos that fuckhead uninstalled it to install Norton but Norton (a copy) couldn't install so now i have no antivirus. I tried installing PC Cillin again and it installed but i cant register again!!!!!!!!!! So now it can't be updated.

He installed Norton onto my new comp and it worked. 5 viruses were found and only 3 were destroyed.

N e way...........i feel so angry and fustrated !!!!!!!!!!!!
N e thing i could do???????????????????????????????????

sunny

meh.
HSC
[By the sounds of things, its very unlikely that the guy installing the router would have done this kind of damage.

1. For some stupid reason Windows Media Player won't work! All my movies won't work. It worked yesterday! (i have win xp)
Files in my shared folder won't play and Kazaa Lite won't download.

Sometimes u can hear the movie but the program won't start AT ALL. A sign appeared saying:
! An internal application error has occurred
Have you tried playing your movies in other movie playing software?

2. Some sites are very slow and have different layouts.
Eg. my boredofstudies homepage, the one u see before u go to the forum. Here, the word "menu" appears but the buttons don't appear. Eg. buttons like "forum" so i havta scroll down and follow another link.
Howver, on the new comp the BOS site is fine

Similarly wif yahoomail.........the layout is different on the old comp. A page appeared b4 logging onto yahoomail saying smthng about my browser not letting these settings appear.
Are you on Internet Explorer? (Tools -> Internet Options -> Delete Files -> check "Delete all offline content" -> OK).

Has your old computer had previous problems?

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
my comp was fine yesterday.....just perfect
the old comp is less than 1 yr old and the new comp is about 1 month old.

the movies won't work n e where else......

i dunno if he caused the prob or maybe i did, but i was aware of everything i did.......

this is what i did when he went home::::::::::

i went onto comp and saw Norton Antivirus icon still there so i decided to delete it and uninstall everything from it to install my old antivirus on again.

i went to "add/remove...." from control panel but Norton didn't want to uninstall. Unlike other programs, it didnt have a "remove" button just a "change" button.

so i decided to install pc cillin again. I found the disc and put it in. The old antivirus software is from a "support cd": P4S533 for the motherboard. The same disc had other things to download like drivers....but i didnt install those assuming they r already on the comp n e way.

After this installation everything went crazy....*sigh*

I realised i posted this same post somewhere else.....

I read this from my old comp from a paper they gave us:
"Reloading or deleting the programs, files, drivers for peripherals will cause th operating system (Microsoft Windows) to become unstable, corrupt or crash and will attract a minimum $180 for software repair"

What r peripherals?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by lillaila
my comp was fine yesterday.....just perfect
the old comp is less than 1 yr old and the new comp is about 1 month old.

the movies won't work n e where else......

i dunno if he caused the prob or maybe i did, but i was aware of everything i did.......

this is what i did when he went home::::::::::

i went onto comp and saw Norton Antivirus icon still there so i decided to delete it and uninstall everything from it to install my old antivirus on again.

i went to "add/remove...." from control panel but Norton didn't want to uninstall. Unlike other programs, it didnt have a "remove" button just a "change" button.

so i decided to install pc cillin again. I found the disc and put it in. The old antivirus software is from a "support cd": P4S533 for the motherboard. The same disc had other things to download like drivers....but i didnt install those assuming they r already on the comp n e way.

After this installation everything went crazy....*sigh*

I realised i posted this same post somewhere else.....

I read this from my old comp from a paper they gave us:
"Reloading or deleting the programs, files, drivers for peripherals will cause th operating system (Microsoft Windows) to become unstable, corrupt or crash and will attract a minimum $180 for software repair"

What r peripherals?
Peripherals like scanners, printers etc... $180? lol i'll fix your computer for $18 or $10 haha

sunny

meh.
HSC
Click on change anyway, depending on the version of norton thats installed you'll have to option to remove it after you click change.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
That's werid for a router.. do you guys think it could be the network itself assuming no damage was done? Maybe there's something wrong with the redistrubution of packets to that particular computer..?

Is it a wireless or a cabled network lillaila? (and calm down a bit..)

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
lol. yeah...it's cabled.....he sed the old comp has a virus...i thinkso too...but yeah, we've decided to re-install windows and backup all files to disc .....he sed this way the viruses would be all cleaned up.....is this right?

kept on dc-ing me....i have the blaster worm on my comp!!!!!
oosh, double post, how embarrassing

sunny

meh.
HSC
You might want to scan your backup disc for virus as well, incase theres a source of a virus on one of your files.

Winston

HSC
If you ever have a virus in your PC, make sure you clear System Restore data, System Restore really isn't some miracle creation to me, first of all it's not good if your PC is infected with a virus, System restore will kindly replicate it. It's good technology for the n00bs if they did very 'minor' changes, other wise it's a resource hog, space hod, and useless, because if your PC fails to boot how on earth is there possibility to launch System Restore.

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
sunny: omg, u serious?...i never thought of that....thnx a lot but.....
how do i do that? the old comp (the comp i'll be making a backup disc from) doesn't have any antivirus software on it at all.
Should i make the backup then put the disc into another comp and use the antivirus software there?

The old comp doesn't want to DL antivirus software. Norton doesn't install and PC Cillin won't register for updates for new viruses. The internet is slow as hell even tho it's cable.

This is what we think happened:
We wanted to link new and old comp together, both having cable. But new comp had viruses (discovered when the 2 comps were linked thru the D-LINK ROUTER...........watever that is) so those viruses went and infected the old comp. Norton saved the new comp but nothing can b done about the old comp.

winston: where do i find sys restore?

ok, found it on search....should syst. restore be on or off? i played wif it now i totally 4got!
i'm on the new comp now, the old one works but is sooooooooo slow, wind. med. player and search for files or folders wont work.....

Thnx for n e help :)

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
sunny: omg, u serious?...i never thought of that....thnx a lot but.....
how do i do that? the old comp (the comp i'll be making a backup disc from) doesn't have any antivirus software on it at all.
Should i make the backup then put the disc into another comp and use the antivirus software there?

The old comp doesn't want to DL antivirus software. Norton doesn't install and PC Cillin won't register for updates for new viruses. The internet is slow as hell even tho it's cable.

This is what we think happened:
We wanted to link new and old comp together, both having cable. But new comp had viruses (discovered when the 2 comps were linked thru the D-LINK ROUTER...........watever that is) so those viruses went and infected the old comp. Norton saved the new comp but nothing can b done about the old comp.

winston: where do i find sys restore?

Thnx for n e help :)
Yes just use another computer to scan your backup disc - just don't open anything in it incase its infected.

Its unlikely that from just having the two computers hooked up caused the damage in the old computer, and by the sounds of it, it looks like there might be several virus in it.

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
yeps several viruses alright.....that's wat he said

BUT THE THING IS...WE BOUGHT THE new comp just 3 weeks ago and it already had 5 viruses. 3 were destroyed while 2 are still here......

We had to activate the new comp withing 9 days even tho the manual says 30 days which i really think that ppl at the store already used the comp on the net....thats why 30 days has been reduced to 9 and 5 new viruses were found even tho it's just bought........

sunny

meh.
HSC
hmmm quite suspicious indeed. Did you ask if you were supposed to be given the original Windows installation CDs with your purchase? Was your computer bought from a reputable store?

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
Yeah, we were given the original Windows installation CDs....
I think............that's y we had to activ8 the comp. Copied Cds won't have that i dun think?

Just a quick question:
Ukno for a normal comp. like urs or my old comp....once in a while a small bubble thing pops up at the right hand corner of the screen saying we r kept up to date and we havta install this and that updates for the comp.....will this still pop up if i reinstall Windows?

A friend says yes, but my sis says no since it's "like another copy of windows or i couldn't activate it again this time".

And....ukno those basics? Like paint, wordpad, games, remote assistance, MSN etc etc.....r they part of Windows? Or i havta still backup them and put them back onto the comp?

Thnx!

Winston

HSC
Yeah, we were given the original Windows installation CDs....
I think............that's y we had to activ8 the comp. Copied Cds won't have that i dun think?

Just a quick question:
Ukno for a normal comp. like urs or my old comp....once in a while a small bubble thing pops up at the right hand corner of the screen saying we r kept up to date and we havta install this and that updates for the comp.....will this still pop up if i reinstall Windows?

A friend says yes, but my sis says no since it's "like another copy of windows or i couldn't activate it again this time".

And....ukno those basics? Like paint, wordpad, games, remote assistance, MSN etc etc.....r they part of Windows? Or i havta still backup them and put them back onto the comp?

Thnx!

That's Automatic Updates, it's just a tool integrated into windows which can be turned off, it schedules at times to download updates and you can choose to install them whenever.

The basic essentials are included in the Windows Install Disk

sunny

meh.
HSC
I'm just worried that with 9 days left on activation when you bought the computer, they might've used a fake CD key - but since you've got the original Windows CD that should be fine.

If you reinstall Windows, those update reminders will appear again because those updates you've installed before would have been deleted in the format. You won't have any problems reactivating your copy of Windows, as long as you haven't made significant changes to your hardware.

All those pieces of software you mentioned comes with Windows.

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
oh coolies thnx ppl......sorry 4 being such a bother and the mods moving stuff......

AFTER REINSTALLING WINDOWS AGAIN AND it doesn't work.....or it's not back to normal im GONNA SMASH THAT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

sunny, wat do u mean a fake CD key?

farrrrrr out, im not even home wen he does the comp stuff...ill b working! man!!!!!

just another small q.:
for 2 comps using cable, if u want the 2nd comp to get on the net does the main comp havta be on too? the man syas no, but from wat i kno and it appears that both comps shuld b on at same time for some reason.

Winston

HSC
oh coolies thnx ppl......sorry 4 being such a bother and the mods moving stuff......

AFTER REINSTALLING WINDOWS AGAIN AND it doesn't work.....or it's not back to normal im GONNA SMASH THAT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

farrrrrr out, im not even home wen he does the comp stuff...ill b working! man!!!!!

just another small q.:
for 2 comps using cable, if u want the 2nd comp to get on the net does the main comp havta be on too? the man syas no, but from wat i kno and it appears that both comps shuld b on at same time for some reason.
your D-Link router, if you can check for me the serial, because i've owned a normal one and a wireless one for telstra cable, u dont need both PC's to be on, the D-Link acts as a mini computer which helps connect to the telstra bigpond servers.

sunny

meh.
HSC

Did you do a format before you reinstalled, or just installed Windows over again? What format are the movies in?

Like Winston said, if you are sure its a router then they don't both have to be on - the router acts as the computer that does the work of sharing the cable connection.

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
formatting is just like reinstalling windows yeah?

like tommorow all we're doing is backing up files and folders then he's gonna install windows again then put the saved files etc back on....that's wat i understand

but b4 putting back all the files and stuff we're installing antivirus software first just in case.....

woah....u 2 ppl answer like in a click of a finger :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)