• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

My review of CompSci at UOW (1 Viewer)

BriscoCountyJr

HSC
Hi all. Back at the beginning of this century I studied CompSci at UOW. Having nothing much to do a month or so ago, I decided to write a review of the course, and posted it here: Facts, Failures, and Frauds: Informatics at University of Wollongong: A Review If you are feeling bored and are curious about my impressions of the university please check it out. I'm interested to know whether or not much has changed since I was there. Actually I wouldn't mind doing some more study there at some point, but graduate courses are so damn expensive and I'm sceptical about the return on investment. Caution, some of the stuff I say in the review is a bit negative, so if you are enjoying this course, maybe you don't want to read what I say as you might get discouraged. Some of my colleagues attended other Unis, so I might type up their brief reviews also at some point. Since we all graduated a few years back some of the information may be out of date, however in my experience the culture at many universities doesn't change that quickly.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
I agree with most of what you said. But you mainly focused on Degree vs Pay, rather then the actual content of the degree. Im really curious to know how satisfied other students/graduates are with their degree...

I feel that the degree's good, i just wish if it was just a bit more "hands on"/practical....

There are still tons and tons of stuff that i need to teach myself for work though, and i just hate how employers think that just because im a CompSci graduate, i should be able to know all the computer related problems and stuff...

:(

Last edited:

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Good Review and explaintions.

I would say that most technical fields get low pay, not just informatics based. But atleast we learn something that is benefical to society as we can apply compsci/ IT to many fields, rather then some others who just write essays throughout uni.

And ye Meniella, i agree the thing is with our fields is that practical experience is important, as working in the industry makes you realise how little we really know and how stressful it can be trying to learn new things quickly.

StandOff

Reidy
HSC
I was reading your article, and I was wondering if you knew what the employment conditions are like for people trying to get into network management/maintenance after completing a B CompSci. Was thinking of double majoring in Digital Systems Security and Enterprise Systems

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
I was reading your article, and I was wondering if you knew what the employment conditions are like for people trying to get into network management/maintenance after completing a B CompSci. Was thinking of double majoring in Digital Systems Security and Enterprise Systems
for network management/maintenace id say do B.Information Tech and major in Network Design and Management.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)