My School is ranked below 600th..... (1 Viewer)

Rohanco

HSC
What course do YOU want to do?
Make a decision now and work on getting into that course.
My dream would be to do something commerce related with International at UNSW or maybe USYD, If not I'll take up my options with Macquarie

k-pham

HSC
Uni Grad
So Far I'm not hearing a whole lot of good news, Is there anyway I could possibly get any bonus points with any Uni's, seeing as I'm coming from somewhat of a "disadvantaged School"?
you can apply for EAS

Breeby

HSC
I don't know if someone's already said this since I can't be bothered to read everything but once the rankings are done, you have to get a group effort started and make sure EVERYBODY helps everybody else and works hard because that can make a huge difference and pull your school up a lot. I saw it happen top my school one year and our ranking was half of what it usually is.

k-pham

HSC
Uni Grad
dont worry to much my old high school was ranked like 487 every year manages to get a dux of like 99. this year the dux was 99.1. but try to top at some of your classes and you'll do fine

harrietty

HSC
Pretty sure my school is ranked very very low (not too sure, but it's a small town school so yeah), anyway, we were informed that we got two 94's and a 96 last year, so it is possible to get a good ATAR.
Try to avoid being brought down by your cohort by ranking 1st and getting the highest possible marks you can in externals, that's what I'm going to do - do my best and hope for the best!
A lot of the kids in my year don't really study, I mean, there are of course the high achievers and such, but the rest don't want to get into uni or they're too immature to work. But after trials, I'm sharing all of my notes with my friends etc. because it'll be win win if it helps them improve and it will improve our performance as a whole.

Focus is Key

HSC
My school is ranked in the late 500's :/. The ranks do fluctuate a lot, especially considering my school has been ranked like in the early-mid 300's just a couple of years ago. Consider the prior cohort in relation to your own. For example, the cohort from the class of 2012 were the worst we've had to pass through in quite a while. Our school almost always has people getting in the 90's for their ATAR score although they are basically top three in their subjects. The dux of our school a couple of years ago got 97.5 and the dux the year before got a similar score.

Let's take my HSC cohort of 2013 as another example. We have the usual slackers and people who are certain to get low results. However we have three people in our year that I'd honestly be shocked if they didn't get an ATAR in the 90's because they are just blow the results of everyone else out of the water and they're extremely consistent. I'd almost bet anything that our year is bound to improve the results quite dramatically from last year. That year got 3 Band 6 results. I'd say just between these three students they'd likely manage around or more than three band 6 results each, as well as any other random band 6 results from other subjects. This would push the school ranking up quite a lot.

You just need to aim to be above everyone else, set your own standard and don't comply with your school's!

Last edited:

Timothy6340

HSC
my school rank was just above 400, and there was a girl in my cohort who was comming first in 6 subjects, however her atar was only ~88, so u have to get good marks as well as high ranks to get the atar you require

thekooldude

HSC
My school was ranked below 600th, however we had a 99.90 ATAR person as well as 3 others over 95 ATAR, furthermore my school had an extremely small cohort, and with combined effort and hard work our school jumped around 500ish places and we're finally in the top 100. so its very possible in a school ranked below 600th to achieve many high atars plus EAS will automatically grant you bonus atar points too, due to your school being "disadvantaged". Just work hard! and you should be fine :D

Tasteless

HSC
you're actually fucked
rank 600 means * atar

Kingportable

HSC
This is the reason they invented the ranking system just make sure your ranked number for 10 of your best Unit and get the highest marks you can that should negate all differences. School ranks just mean how trust worthy the school is getting great marks.

jnney

lemon
HSC
If you want to keep yourself on track for a 95 ATAR, it might be a good idea to keep in touch with any friends that seem to be doing well at higher ranking school (within the top 100). If there is nobody in mind that fits the criteria, another way would be to ask past HSCers on this website that have achieved 95 ATAR+ if you are on 'track' for specific subjects they studied e.g. if preparation current method of preparation for exams is sufficient; if you're unsure if you should be studying parts x, y, z in biology with more detail; maybe doing a check on whether you need to know everything that you're supposed to know for a specific subjects; questions on different textbooks they used; study/revise methods, etc.

These suggestions might give you a better indication of where you are in comparison with the state as it is kind of ambiguous to judge from the ranks at your school alone.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

squishyau

HSC
Gah! Yeah a friend of mine in a similar position as me last year scored two first places, two second places, and a third, and she still only got an 86. Guess I'm just going to have to kill it Haha. Scaling is general pretty fair, but I think for students like me in my situation, it can actually be a bit of a let down.
Not really if you think about it, consider you friend, she got two 2nds and one 3rd which look good but when taking into account the rank of the school, that second could be equivalent to a 50+ at a top 100 school, thus high ranks at a lower ranked school are not really a good indicator of how you will do. Tbh, your best chance to get 95+ atar would be topping everything and in essence separate yourself from your cohort, cause even a few 2nds and 3rds at such a school will have a huge impact on your atar overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)