My school wants to make me repeat?!?! (1 Viewer)

jasminemartens

HSC
N/A
I'm in year 12 and my subjects are general 2 mathematics, legal studies, business studies, advanced English, ext 1 and ext 2.
I'm ranked in the top 5 for all of my subjects and doing really well in the HSC so far.
BUT
Our ext 2 English draft/reflection statement was apparently due 2 days ago and I have received an n-award. The notification for the draft/reflection clearly states it is due 'week 3/4' without an actual date, so I was planning to hand it in this Friday after my trials had finished. I think this seems logical? I was never told it was due on Monday!

The head English teacher has rung my parents and told them that if I drop the course I can't get an ATAR or HSC because I would only have 9 units (obviously), and if I redeem the n-award I will still get a mark of 0 thus scaling my entire class down. They literally suggested I REPEAT or do 1 unit next year to get a HSC.

IVE LITERALLY FINISHED MY EXT 2 STORY AND REFLECTION STATEMENT THOUGH, I JUST DIDNT KNOW IT WAS DUE BECAUSE THE NOTIFICATION DIDN'T HAVE A DATE!

Can I appeal this to the board of studies? I have no idea what to do

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
Definitely, definitely make an appeal. Back it up with a very good letter from your parents and any others that may be able to help out. You must pursue any possible options to the nth degree, the first being just submitting a formal appeal - in line with the guidelines/policies & documentation that is set out by your school.

Sorry I don't know anything much about ex2 english, and I admire anyone that has the calibre to do it! I guess this draft/reflection statement would be reasonable important in the whole scheme of things, so it would need a good appeal, perhaps on the grounds of miscommunication or something.

I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to repeat the HSC, especially not someone in your advanced position. You can't let the school force you to repeat!

Good luck! All the best with the appeal, hope it's quickly resolved! :)

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
They have to give an actual date for submission. If they just said "Week 3/4", then you have every right to hand it in on the friday of week 4. Definitely take it up with the principal or the board of studies.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd appeal for it.. the school didn't give you a specific date.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The first step is to appeal through the school's appeal process as the BOS won't look at an appeal until you have exhausted the school's processes.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Are we allowed to repeat hsc for no reason?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yes - you can repeat it if you want to do so.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Omg and are we allowed to repeat certain subjects only and keep the subjects and their marks that are good? I don't want to have to do discovery next year

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Omg and are we allowed to repeat certain subjects only and keep the subjects and their marks that are good? I don't want to have to do discovery next year
Yes.

2 Units of English must count so if you are happy with this year's English marks then you can keep them and redo subjects that you think you can do better in. It is called 'pathways' but...they don't take your 'best' result in a subject but your 'latest' result so if you redo a subject and don't improve the result your ATAR could drop as a result.

HSC
Appeal it with the school and talk to your principal, if nothing happens and they stand on their original decision, take it up with the Board of Studies. I'm pretty sure if you mention Bored of Studies they'll reconsider, because if BOS gets involved then it just becomes a serious problem

jasminemartens

HSC
N/A
I don't have much to do with the other extension 2 people but from what I heard they've been submitting dodgy drafts and 400 word reflection statements (it has to be 1500) since last week. My good friend from the class handed his on on Tuesday with no complaints from the teachers... My mum has emailed the Head English teacher and basically said if they n-award me she'll be arranging a meeting with the principle and taking it to the board of studies. They replied saying they should be able to work something out (whatever that means). I'm going to school tomorrow with my major work, reflection statement, appeal form, notification and letter from my mum in hand so I'll let you know how it goes haha.

jasminemartens

HSC
N/A
The Head English Teacher called my mum just now to say she is sincerely sorry and that it is all their fault. They have withdrawn my n-award and I can hand in my draft and reflection tomorrow and still get marks. They said it was all a matter of miscommunication and not at all my fault. Thank god!
Thanks so much for your replies, it was a massive scare!

Last edited:

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
The Head English Teacher called my mum just now to say she is sincerely sorry and that it is all their fault. They have withdrawn my n-award and I can hand in my draft and reflection tomorrow and still get marks. They said it was all a matter of miscommunication and not at all my fault. Thank god!
Thanks so much for your replies, it was a massive scare!
Awesome! Glad to hear it ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)