my screwed little laptop (1 Viewer)

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
ok people, i will be eternally grateful for any help anyone can give me here!!

my laptop is screwed. it's about 8 months old and i have a lot of problems with it.... anyone who can help me with any of these probs would be great!!!

ummm it has a 40 gig hdd, 256+ 512mb ram, centrino. copying what it says in system info it says it has an Intel Pentium M processor 1600Mhz; 221Mhz, 768Mb RAM (yeah i know i just repeated myself). it has xp professional with SP2.

ok probs are as follows:
- when it starts up it always displays IBM_PRELOAD (C: ) in windows explorer. obviously this has got into the startup registry and i can't get rid of it.
- it likes to spontaneously die. just freeze. yesterday it did something really weird where it all of a sudden just came up with a blue DOS-like screen and said something about an error and restarting. haven't seen that before.
- it's always running at 90-100%, even when i close down processes that i know i can get rid of.
- it basically runs at snail speed
- sometimes when it starts up, it will just freeze for no reason. i have to restart it. it wouldn't be the first time i just yank the batteries out of the back cos it won't do anything at all. major cold restart. also last night it wouldn't shut down.

ummm apart from that, i have adaware, spybot and ms antispyware on it. they're not picking up anything. i also have nod32 antivirus, which says it's clean, apart from spybot, which it says might have virus, but i like spybot.

in the 8 months i've owned it, i've had to re-initialise it about 3 times.

so yeah, i can answer any questions, just please someone help me!!!

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
Ah.. the blue screen of death. Once, the techie bloke at my school told me "Sometimes, the Blue Screen of Death just happens." I thought that his comment was really funny.

I don't really know much that could help - a couple of things to check:
Are you running the latest updates to your adaware, spybot ms antispyware, and nod32 antivirus? Has your lappie suffered any drops from great heights, bangs, knocks or siblings?

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
malkin86 said:
Ah.. the blue screen of death. Once, the techie bloke at my school told me "Sometimes, the Blue Screen of Death just happens." I thought that his comment was really funny.

I don't really know much that could help - a couple of things to check:
Are you running the latest updates to your adaware, spybot ms antispyware, and nod32 antivirus? Has your lappie suffered any drops from great heights, bangs, knocks or siblings?
yes, they're always updated, i'm running them all about twice a week, with antivirus once a week. i clear my internet caches, history, tifs, cookies etc.

and no, it has never been dropped, hit, banged or anything. it lives in my room where it is safe.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
markmooks said:
Have you done the Windows Update thing?

IE -> Tools -> Windows Update.

IBM publishes hardware drivers via that, plus it should come with the
Access IBM stuff in the menus which will point you to other updates,
if you can handle the spam that comes with it.

If you install all the Windows and IBM updates it'll be much more
stable. You might want to take backups of it when it's running ok too
so you can flash back to that point.
it's on auto windows update, and same with IBM - occassionally gives me little access IBM messages about new stuff.

i set it so it automatically creates a restore point every day... cos after the first time i lost everything.

oh and i defragged it aout 3 days ago... did nothing.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
no, haven't noticed any noises with the hdd, only the fan going on when i've been on it for ages. though it does seem to heat up very easily.

it's an X31.

I have to keep backing all my files up onto an external hdd so i don't lose it all again, cos it has no fdd or cd/dvd drive.

EDIT: and i don't know what a motherboard is/does/sounds like. I know my around the comp really well... but not what's inside it...

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
yeah... that's what i meant when i said re-initialise. re-install everything. takes freaking ages, especially when i have no cd drive!

in the past when i've done this, it's help for about a week. then it reverts to it's old ways.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
As asqy says sounds like hardware, could also be corrupted drivers, BIOS or registry.

Check in the device manager (I can give directions if needed) are there any problems with any of the drivers?

Personally I have no idea about BIOS ;), someone else might be able to help you there.

Do you use any registry checking software? I use Norton though I'm sure there are some free ones around. A or indeed many registry errors could be the problem.

Did you put xp-antispy on the machine very early on? I advise enabling all the features that it has disabled, I have had problems in the past with xp-antispy screwing things up. Likewise do you use any tweaking programs? If you do disable all tweaks. Once I accidently managed to disable my USB ports with a tweak and couldn't remember which one lol. Point being that chnages made by tweaking programs and xp-antispy can have some rather unforseen affects.

Hard to do and would void the warranty if you tried to check the hardware itself.

My advice if none of the above works is to backup all your data and start from scratch eg use the recovery CD's (you may need to burn some) and reinstall windows and evrything to factory conditions. If this also fails then be thankful the machine is still under warranty an get them to fix it. As a note with these sot of problems the sooner you address them the better.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
addymac said:
As asqy says sounds like hardware, could also be corrupted drivers, BIOS or registry.

Check in the device manager (I can give directions if needed) are there any problems with any of the drivers?

Personally I have no idea about BIOS ;), someone else might be able to help you there.

Do you use any registry checking software? I use Norton though I'm sure there are some free ones around. A or indeed many registry errors could be the problem.

Did you put xp-antispy on the machine very early on? I advise enabling all the features that it has disabled, I have had problems in the past with xp-antispy screwing things up. Likewise do you use any tweaking programs? If you do disable all tweaks. Once I accidently managed to disable my USB ports with a tweak and couldn't remember which one lol. Point being that chnages made by tweaking programs and xp-antispy can have some rather unforseen affects.

Hard to do and would void the warranty if you tried to check the hardware itself.

My advice if none of the above works is to backup all your data and start from scratch eg use the recovery CD's (you may need to burn some) and reinstall windows and evrything to factory conditions. If this also fails then be thankful the machine is still under warranty an get them to fix it. As a note with these sot of problems the sooner you address them the better.
ok... device manager i can't see anything wrong. I don't think i have any registry checking software, unless it came preinstalled.

by xp-antispy, do you mean ms antispyware? i'm not sure what you mean...

but antispware/viruses are always the first thing i put on the comp again.

last time i re-installed it all i put on tweak ui, but i don't have it now. i didn't know what to do with it and didn't want to screw up my registrys.

and as i said, i've re-installed everything a couple of times, and within a very short period of time it comes back to this...

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
haha my dad works at IBM. that was how i got the comp in the first place... got it cheap at end of year clearances and with his benefits. yes it was brand new.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
my father has a t series. i think he has the t41.

when i got this i made a lot of sacrificies for portability... i wanted to take it to uni. wasted of time, money and energy there... taken it to uni once, and that was for a group assignment. I need a cd/dvd drive!!!!! argh.

for $1000 i could have hada really good t series... but no... i was stupid enough to spend $1600 on this little runty box. ok i'll stop now...

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
ok is this right for the hijack this log?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:25:22 PM, on 5/07/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tp4serv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\EzEjMnAp.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPONSCR.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\NaturallySpeaking\Program\natspeak.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY_1\TpScrex.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSVC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Kathryn\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.502\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ninemsn.com.au/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ninemsn.com.au/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [S3TRAY2] S3Tray2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrackPointSrv] tp4serv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe irprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPHOTKEY] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMLREF] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\BMMLREF.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPKMAPHELPER] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\TpKmapAp.exe -helper
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TP4EX] tp4ex.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EZEJMNAP] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\EzEjMnAp.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UC_Start] C:\IBMTools\Updater\ucstartup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMGAG] RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\pwrmonit.dll,StartPwrMonitor
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DNS7reminder] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\NaturallySpeaking\Program\Ereg.exe" -r "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\NaturallySpeaking\Program\ereg.ini"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "\" /WinStart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: Dragon NaturallySpeaking.lnk = C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\NaturallySpeaking\Program\natspeak.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [JAVA_IBM] Java (IBM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {14B87622-7E19-4EA8-93B3-97215F77A6BC} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsPAClient.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=39204&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {2917297F-F02B-4B9D-81DF-494B6333150B} (Minesweeper Flags Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MineSweeper.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1119398203053
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsClient.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/ZIntro.cab32846.cab
O16 - DPF: {BD393C14-72AD-4790-A095-76522973D6B8} (CBreakshotControl Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/Bankshot.cab31267.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{9BDA631B-99C8-49FF-9C78-AB3A644E776D}: Domain = nsw.bigpond.net.au
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: IBM PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NOD32 Kernel Service (NOD32krn) - Eset - C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
O23 - Service: QCONSVC - IBM Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: IBM KCU Service (TpKmpSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSVC.exe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)