My solutions to the 2019 Mathematics Extension 2 Paper (1 Viewer)

Arrowshaft

HSC
Yeah, it's a perfect combo. It's 97.5 guaranteed entry. You can either do actuarial studies combined with science (major maths), or actuarial studies combined with advanced maths (extra honours year of maths).
Lol, I’m changing my first preference right now, haha.

psmao

HSC
u were really hoping for a state rank with 96 raw
and 99.95 with esl
ikr that was so bad, like i could've aced it but i made some trivial arithmetic mistakes...
well from atar calculator as long as i get over 92 for everything and over 96 for 4u and 3u i would be getting a 99.95, and i think i am close to that now.

Arrowshaft

HSC
I’m sure you’ll do fine mate. Just be content with what you get acknowledging all the hard work you put in.

Arrowshaft

HSC
If your career goal is to be in actuary, why not go with Macq? Aren't they the best for that?
But the thing is initially I was passionate about physics/maths, only changed to actuary because it was a compromise between what I liked to study (maths) and salary (I’ve heard physicists don’t make that much). Thus, I feel by doing both I’m at an advantage.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
But the thing is initially I was passionate about physics/maths, only changed to actuary because it was a compromise between what I liked to study (maths) and salary (I’ve heard physicists don’t make that much). Thus, I feel by doing both I’m at an advantage.
I reckon you should just do what you are interested in. Personally, I was also considering doing actuarial studies with maths, but at ANU. I heard, however, that managing the maths degree at ANU with actuarial studies is next to impossible with the workload so now I'm just doing maths and science, and also decided I wasn't all that interested in the area either. I also heard that the work environment for actuaries is quite awful, which IMO doesn't make the salary worth it. The actuarial studies degree also has a much higher atar than the others lol.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Fair enough, though salary isn't typically the main issue for science graduates - it's mainly the job prospects. The salary in science can be pretty good if you go into research. I agree with the post above about doing what your passionate about. Actuary is a pretty demanding degree, and even you graduate you still need pass exams to be chartered. I got a fair number of friends who graduated from actuary but chose not to go through with the chartered exams since they didn't really enjoy the work. If you want money, just be a quantitative trader - you only need your math/physics degree for that, and you'll get paid bucketloads. Otherwise, have you considered engineering? That way, you get to actually apply your math and physics and also have a degree that can also net you a job with decent pay (though obviously it's not going to be as generous as being in actuary/trading).

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon you should just do what you are interested in. Personally, I was also considering doing actuarial studies with maths, but at ANU. I heard, however, that managing the maths degree at ANU with actuarial studies is next to impossible with the workload so now I'm just doing maths and science, and also decided I wasn't all that interested in the area either. I also heard that the work environment for actuaries is quite awful, which IMO doesn't make the salary worth it. The actuarial studies degree also has a much higher atar than the others lol.
How'd you find 4u =)

TheOnePheeph

HSC
How'd you find 4u =)
I found the whole paper alright, I was able to get every question out. I'm really worried about algebraic/arithmetic errors though. When I went through to check my answers I found about 4 really dumb errors which I fixed up (One of which was a calculator error, this one really bothers me, what if I was wrong the 2nd time :( ), but I'm worried there were more I didn't pick up on, and I'm also worried about the markers taking marks off for silly little things. I have't checked the solutions, as I don't want to cause myself unnecessary stress before the end of the hsc, in case I see something I got wrong, so please don't say anything, but I'm really concerned about these little errors lol. What is the general consensus on this paper out of curiosity?

Arrowshaft

HSC
I found the whole paper alright, I was able to get every question out. I'm really worried about algebraic/arithmetic errors though. When I went through to check my answers I found about 4 really dumb errors which I fixed up (One of which was a calculator error, this one really bothers me, what if I was wrong the 2nd time :( ), but I'm worried there were more I didn't pick up on, and I'm also worried about the markers taking marks off for silly little things. I have't checked the solutions, as I don't want to cause myself unnecessary stress before the end of the hsc, in case I see something I got wrong, so please don't say anything, but I'm really concerned about these little errors lol. What is the general consensus on this paper out of curiosity?
The exam was pretty easy, easier than previous years. But i think i made a few silly errors as well. I looked at 16(c) and was like nah, if i try this im not gonna get any marks so its not worth it so i went back and checked. To my demise, i went home and tried 16(c) again and pulled it off within a minute, smh... i hate myself. I think i got 85-87+ tho so not too disappointed but overall I’d say it was a pretty easy exam. How about you? Probably aced it with that state rank in 2u haha

Arrowshaft

HSC
Fair enough, though salary isn't typically the main issue for science graduates - it's mainly the job prospects. The salary in science can be pretty good if you go into research. I agree with the post above about doing what your passionate about. Actuary is a pretty demanding degree, and even you graduate you still need pass exams to be chartered. I got a fair number of friends who graduated from actuary but chose not to go through with the chartered exams since they didn't really enjoy the work. If you want money, just be a quantitative trader - you only need your math/physics degree for that, and you'll get paid bucketloads. Otherwise, have you considered engineering? That way, you get to actually apply your math and physics and also have a degree that can also net you a job with decent pay (though obviously it's not going to be as generous as being in actuary/trading).
Also many thanks for the insights! I never knew science‘s issue was with job prospects and not salary, haha i guess my passive learning through archetyping by sitcoms kinda misinformed me haha.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
The exam was pretty easy, easier than previous years. But i think i made a few silly errors as well. I looked at 16(c) and was like nah, if i try this im not gonna get any marks so its not worth it so i went back and checked. To my demise, i went home and tried 16(c) again and pulled it off within a minute, smh... i hate myself. I think i got 85-87+ tho so not too disappointed but overall I’d say it was a pretty easy exam. How about you? Probably aced it with that state rank in 2u haha
I honestly have no clue how I went, since I haven't checked the solutions. 16 c) was pretty easy, yeah, I did it using supplimentary angles in cyclic quad combined with sine rule, in two particular triangles, which ended up with the result. I would say overall the exam was more difficult than 2017 and 2014 though, as it got a bit tricky earlier on (q13) and there were loads of stupid convoluted answers. I'm really hoping for a state rank though, so I want a 98+ raw, so hopefully I didn't make as many dumb mistakes as I'm worried I did haha. Also hopefully markers don't mark me down for alternative methods, because I haven't seen much of what other people did but I will guess my solution for the probability question was a bit out there(I found an expression for PB and PA in terms of w and v which ended up with a quadratic inequality with the result as the solution).

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Also many thanks for the insights! I never knew science‘s issue was with job prospects and not salary, haha i guess my passive learning through archetyping by sitcoms kinda misinformed me haha.
Funnily enough I was reading this in the morning: https://7news.com.au/sunrise/on-the...o-avoid-if-you-want-to-get-get-a-job-c-524282

Unfortunately, science and maths are in the worst performing degrees. Reminds me of an old joke I heard on orientation day for first year maths: What's the difference between a pizza and a math major? The pizza can feed a family.

Arrowshaft

HSC
I honestly have no clue how I went, since I haven't checked the solutions. 16 c) was pretty easy, yeah, I did it using supplimentary angles in cyclic quad combined with sine rule, in two particular triangles, which ended up with the result. I would say overall the exam was more difficult than 2017 and 2014 though, as it got a bit tricky earlier on (q13) and there were loads of stupid convoluted answers. I'm really hoping for a state rank though, so I want a 98+ raw, so hopefully I didn't make as many dumb mistakes as I'm worried I did haha. Also hopefully markers don't mark me down for alternative methods, because I haven't seen much of what other people did but I will guess my solution for the probability question was a bit out there(I found an expression for PB and PA in terms of w and v which ended up with a quadratic inequality with the result as the solution).
mate, if a marker marks you down for alt. methods, they don’t deserve to mark. But I agree it was harder than 2017 and 2014, so hopefully alignment won’t be messed up like 2017 and align a 77 to 90. What are your predictions on e4 cut offs? Im guessing around a 75

Arrowshaft

HSC
Funnily enough I was reading this in the morning: https://7news.com.au/sunrise/on-the...o-avoid-if-you-want-to-get-get-a-job-c-524282

Unfortunately, science and maths are in the worst performing degrees. Reminds me of an old joke I heard on orientation day for first year maths: What's the difference between a pizza and a math major? The pizza can feed a family.
Oh no haha. Any suggestions for the best compromise for my interests + salary? Seeing all your degrees, major respect for any input haha.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
mate, if a marker marks you down for alt. methods, they don’t deserve to mark. But I agree it was harder than 2017 and 2014, so hopefully alignment won’t be messed up like 2017 and align a 77 to 90. What are your predictions on e4 cut offs? Im guessing around a 75
I'm gonna guess about 73. I thought the alignment for 2017 was less crazy than that though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)