• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

My USB ports are fucked (1 Viewer)

gracie007

HSC
Desperate for help.

Recently, whenever I plug in anything into the USB ports on my hard drive, the computer comes up with an error message saying it is 'unrecognised' and the USB has malfunctioned.

WTF

How can my computer suddenly go from transferring data to and from my digi camera, 3 different mp3s in my family, 2 flash drives and two mobile phones...to not even knowing what has just connected to it? It doesnt just happen for one-but for each and every one.

basically when I plug them in now, any one of them, the error message comes up and I can't do anything at all. How do I fix this fucker?

Thanks.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
gracie007 said:
...USB ports on my hard drive...
on the hard drive...? but anyways, i'd make sure i check the usb drivers... and re-install them if necessary

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
lol, well:

1) try re-installing drivers first

2) Try a format of windows

If the above two don't solve the problem, it's very likely a hardware issue.

You can either take it to the computer man to see what he can do, chances are, he'll probably replace the motherboard (ouch) if the USB ports are broken because they are linked to the mobo. Unless somehow he's got an idea which I have no idea, then its likely you'll have to spend some money to get a new mobo (which pretty much means...)

Use this excuse to buy a new computer as buying/replacing old parts aren't really worth the trouble

korrupt samurai

Sneaker Addict
HSC
well this problem can also occur when you have USB 1.1 hardware instead of the USB 2.0 which things like ipods use. so if you plug in anything into the usb port say an ipod which isn't backwards compatitable with USB 1.1 that same message appears.

Or it could mean your hardware is damaged and need to replace it or fix it some how

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
rather than getting a new motherboard, you can get these pci cards which have additional usb ports on them - should only cost about $20-$30.

but try melbournien's suggestion first - it might do the trick.

also, don't listen to politik - he'll just try and sell you a mac which, as good as they are, are still way overpriced

gracie007

HSC
^dont worry, theres no fucking way im bothering with a new comp unless i completely need to..esp. not a mac, yuck

ps. how the hell could it have happnd anyway? what causes this to happen?

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
gracie007 said:
^dont worry, theres no fucking way im bothering with a new comp unless i completely need to..esp. not a mac, yuck

ps. how the hell could it have happnd anyway? what causes this to happen?
depends on how old your computer is and how well built it was to start with.. although that's just a generalisation, like all things, parts break down overtime or they become less reliable. It's just the way things are.

Hard drives for example have a higher chance of breaking down than other components through normal use due to moving parts, although they are generally engineered to withstand normal working pressures

gracie007

HSC
thanks heaps to Melbournien's link- it was the exact description of the problem, and i did what it said- search for new hardware in device manager and turned off the comp for 5 mins at the power switch. THNKS all! xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)