my year 11 subjects (1 Viewer)

quite pro

HSC
i know there's someone who has already made a post about year 11, but i didn't want to hijack his post with my questions.

for the hsc, i plan on doing:
ext 2 maths
eng advanced
bio
phys
chem

first off, would i be allowed to do just those in the hsc, or are there any restrictions i'm not aware of. second, is there any lower limit regarding the number of units you need to do in year 11? cause i basically want to do just that but with 3u maths in year 11, but i hear a lot of people are doing 6 subjects?

anyway, sorry if i'm posting in the wrong thread, and thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

lisarh

HSC
Those subjects are fine to do for the HSC, although only the best 10 units are counted for your UAI. I don't know about your school, but my school they make me do at least 12 units of I'm doing an extension course or 13 units.

SO, I'm pretty sure you're able to do those subjects.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
but ext2 math is yr12 exclusive, so you'll need 12 prelim units. without 4u math, you'll only have 11, so i'm assuming you'll do 3u english or another 1u subject?

I wish i could do 4u math as a prelim subject, it'll make my life so much easier, especially how i just failed 3u english...

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
Sound good except for Maths Ext. 2, you can only do Ext. 1 in Year 11 :)

Perhaps you should choose a non-Science elective instead of three sciences? My friend's a genius at Science, and it's even a bit montonous/tiring for her.

But if you really want to do it, by all means go for it.

quite pro

HSC
ah crap, i forgot, i was also gonna do IT (or whatever it's called now) in year 11 and probably drop it in year 12. and as for science being tiresome, i already know physics chem and bio at the prelim level (+ the hsc course for chem) so i think i'll do ok for that. but if for some reason that screws me over, i might just pick up economics and drop bio or something. also, i go to baulkham hills high, so if there's any limitations there, someone let me know. i heard that i need to do 13 units or something in year 11, i'm not really sure if that's true though.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
quite pro said:
ah crap, i forgot, i was also gonna do IT (or whatever it's called now) in year 11 and probably drop it in year 12. and as for science being tiresome, i already know physics chem and bio at the prelim level (+ the hsc course for chem) so i think i'll do ok for that. but if for some reason that screws me over, i might just pick up economics and drop bio or something. also, i go to baulkham hills high, so if there's any limitations there, someone let me know. i heard that i need to do 13 units or something in year 11, i'm not really sure if that's true though.
I wish I was thinking in Year 10 about my Year 11 subjects...

You can undertake a minimum of 10 units in Year 11 at least, no less. But doing 12 units or more I believe is better, because if you're not good in a subject, you can drop it and you'll still have units left over. Time management comes into play with more units, especially at Baulkho, where the workload would be high in comparison to other schools ;).

michael1990

HSC
kaz1 said:
its actually a minimum of 12 units in year 11:)
This is correct.

You must undertake a minimum of 12 UNITS in year 11, once you get to year 12 you are allowed to go down to 10 UNITS. But only when you get to year 12.

m&ss2008

HSC
quite pro said:
also, i go to baulkham hills high, so if there's any limitations there, someone let me know
all your subjects will be fine for the HSC as long as your school:

a) is willing to teach them;
b) puts them in separate timetable columns

sometimes the school timetable is designed in such a way that subjects may clash, and in this case you would either do it by correspondence (if applicable) or choose a different subject

btw 4 unit maths is fun!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
In Year 11, you should try Extension 1 English. According to my school (reliability unknown :p) - it really helps you when you do Year 12 Advanced, and that means that you don't have to pick up another subject to 'fill in' the one unit. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
This is correct.

You must undertake a minimum of 12 UNITS in year 11, once you get to year 12 you are allowed to go down to 10 UNITS. But only when you get to year 12.
I thouht it depended on school. Oh well, even my school's minimum is 12 so I better conform before anyone can yell "YOU ARE WRONG!!!"

bored of sc

HSC
quite pro said:
i know there's someone who has already made a post about year 11, but i didn't want to hijack his post with my questions.

for the hsc, i plan on doing:
ext 2 maths
eng advanced
bio
phys
chem

first off, would i be allowed to do just those in the hsc, or are there any restrictions i'm not aware of. second, is there any lower limit regarding the number of units you need to do in year 11? cause i basically want to do just that but with 3u maths in year 11, but i hear a lot of people are doing 6 subjects?

anyway, sorry if i'm posting in the wrong thread, and thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.
Are you enjoying maths, english and science now? As for science and maths, if you like them then study becomes that much easier. As for english, the same applies but it just looks as though you are more mathematically inclined.

Good luck with your choices.

michael1990

HSC
lyounamu said:
I thouht it depended on school. Oh well, even my school's minimum is 12 so I better conform before anyone can yell "YOU ARE WRONG!!!"
LOL

Yes it is a Board of Studies requirement that every student wishing to recieve a Prelim Certificate, they must undertake a minimum of 12 Units in year 11. So yes best to conform lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)