myer group interview! (1 Viewer)

CieL

HSC
Not to mention Cotton On pays like crap.

aussie-boy

HSC
i worked at myer last year

in the group interview, you will be most likely be surrounded by 30-40yr old people who can barely speak english... its easy to get selected - dont be shy and speak up; try and develop a rapport with the interviewer... smile, be casual etc but DONT suck up to them!

for dress... shirt and tie in any colour or business attire for chicks

in terms of answering questions, just remember that safety comes before customers in all situations

finally, expectations about the job: myer is a bludge... i found it dissapointing that fellow coworkers would stand behind registers/in the changerooms either texting or bitching about customers constantly, or even more surprisingly, people would discuss how myer was a joke compared to david jones

Compared with supermarket work, i had an incredible amount of independence... i could walk around the whole floor and do anything i liked, even could take breaks whenever i felt like it (and lots of people stretch the 45min lunch into an hour)

also, the managers are all really really nice, so its a cool place to work - just know that service standards are pretty low lol. however what can they expect when their training is nothing more than ideological shite, without a single mention of grass roots product information

HSC
What happens if the group interview is tomorrow and you cant attend?

Myer only just sent me an email today (10th Sep) and the booking is for tomorrow (11th Sep) at 9.30am....

Will there be another session time later on that I can book or not?

It sucks because I really wanted to go but why do they send the email so late?

hearts

HSC
8. said:
What happens if the group interview is tomorrow and you cant attend?

Myer only just sent me an email today (10th Sep) and the booking is for tomorrow (11th Sep) at 9.30am....

Will there be another session time later on that I can book or not?

It sucks because I really wanted to go but why do they send the email so late?
When did you apply?

HSC
hearts said:
When did you apply?
Not that long ago. 2 maybe 3 weeks ago...

Would that have something to do with the late notice?

hearts

HSC
I dunno, i applied today, and got an email back saying they have "no suitable vacancies available" ...

born2b

HSC
hearts said:
I dunno, i applied today, and got an email back saying they have "no suitable vacancies available" ...
omg same!

have they finished hiring xmas casuals :| ohh!!!

i was looking foreward to it...

CieL

HSC
They usually start recruiting xmas casuals around midyear.... like late june/july/early august or something.. I remember people telling me HEAAAPS early to join..

hearts

HSC
CieL said:
They usually start recruiting xmas casuals around midyear.... like late june/july/early august or something.. I remember people telling me HEAAAPS early to join..
Fuck! So early ><

I'll go in and ask for a chat with a manager maybe ;)

gemmal

HSC
aussie-boy said:

in the group interview, you will be most likely be surrounded by 30-40yr old people who can barely speak english... its easy to get selected - dont be shy and speak up; try and develop a rapport with the interviewer... smile, be casual etc but DONT suck up to them!

in terms of answering questions, just remember that safety comes before customers in all situations

finally, expectations about the job: myer is a bludge... i found it dissapointing that fellow coworkers would stand behind registers/in the changerooms either texting or bitching about customers constantly, or even more surprisingly, people would discuss how myer was a joke compared to david jones

Compared with supermarket work, i had an incredible amount of independence... i could walk around the whole floor and do anything i liked, even could take breaks whenever i felt like it (and lots of people stretch the 45min lunch into an hour)

also, the managers are all really really nice, so its a cool place to work - just know that service standards are pretty low lol. however what can they expect when their training is nothing more than ideological shite, without a single mention of grass roots product information
great post aussie-boy! What department did you work in? How did you go not knowing much about what you were selling?

Scinery

HSC
aussie-boy said:

yeahh great post...ive got a group interview with myer as well.. but im working at big w getting about $10 an hour and i just bought the sexy new pyjama shirt...so i dont know if i should change jobs.

aussie-boy man how much did u get paid at myer per hour and how lenient were they in terms of letting you call in last-minute to say that u cant come in?

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
I got invited for xmas casual group interview as well! Mine's at bondi on wednesday, and I'm getting a bit nervous about it now that I'm reading all these posts. Though some of them have helped me feel a bit better, the impression I'm getting is to just be relaxed, friendly and helpful/enthusiastic?

I'm not particularly looking forward to this, but I want the job damnit.

So 'office attire' for girls can be a professional looking shirt, office pants and leather shoes yes?

davOmeter

HSC
Mmmmm, mine is at like Roselands, seems to be plenty of sessions, darrr, do you really have to wear a tie for guys?

Not really looking forward to this neither <_<, hate interviews, especially group.
Anyone know if there's individual interviews after?

frootloop

HSC
Well I went to my group interview for the Sydney City store and we were told that there wouldn't be any individual interviews- that we'd just have to wait for an email (within a month) saying if we got the job or not.

Speaking of which I got an email earlier today :) :

"From your application and assessment we are able to establish that you have a combination of skills that makes you a suitable candidate for a position with Myer.

We would like to advise that you have progressed to the next stage in our recruitment process and your application is currently being reviewed. This may take a number of weeks, due to the volume of applications we have received. Please be advised that your application is currently on hold and we will contact you ASAP via email."

So that means I've got a position right? :confused: It just hasn't been confirmed as of yet... I'm thinking they're still deciding who they want at the Sydney City store and who they want at other stores.. or maybe they're doing referee checks now? Suppose it doesn't matter seeing as how I said I want to start after my exams finish (late November).

Anyone else heard back from Myer yet?

hearts

HSC
Myer is total bullshit- I rang their HR, saying i wanted to talk to them about employment. I explained that although i had submitted my application a little late, i would love an opportunity for an interview (as far as i'm aware, they haven't started/finished yet)

The reply i get? Some stupid reply that Myer "randomly selected people for their interviews because there are too many applicants"

Come on, am i supposed to believe this utter dribble? How hard is it for them to put my name down for an interview?

Not happy Jan

conics2008

HSC
man where is the jobs at myers.. stuff sydney cant find a single job lol

I've applied through a thousand job and still no call back.. com'on is it just my luck..

stuff sydney and the jobs..

tichondrius

HSC
Uni Grad
When did the majority of the people here submit their job applications?

I submitted on Aug 2nd and it still says "application under consideration" <.<

frootloop

HSC
tichondrius said:
When did the majority of the people here submit their job applications?

I submitted on Aug 2nd and it still says "application under consideration" <.<
Here's my timeline for Myer recruitment so far:

August 15- completed and submitted application online
August 22- received "Application under consideration" email
August 26- received "Invitation to apply to Christmas Casual position" at Bondi Junction (Haha... realised it's way too far for me and didn't really end up applying properly for it)
September 2- got an sms saying I got an invite to an interview and to check my email. Received "Invitation to group interview" email for the Sydney City store
September 6- group interview (told that we'll get an email within a month about whether we're in or not and that there is no individual interview)
September 18- Application update email received that I posted about yesterday.

I REALLY want to work at Myer this Christmas. Lol, think I'm in... :p

amber44

HSC
frootloop said:
Here's my timeline for Myer recruitment so far:

August 15- completed and submitted application online
August 22- received "Application under consideration" email
August 26- received "Invitation to apply to Christmas Casual position" at Bondi Junction (Haha... realised it's way too far for me and didn't really end up applying properly for it)
September 2- got an sms saying I got an invite to an interview and to check my email. Received "Invitation to group interview" email for the Sydney City store
September 6- group interview (told that we'll get an email within a month about whether we're in or not and that there is no individual interview)
September 18- Application update email received that I posted about yesterday.

I REALLY want to work at Myer this Christmas. Lol, think I'm in... :p
I'm sure you got it! I've heard these type of emails are sent when you've got the job but they still haven't decided where to send you.
Can you tell us what the group interview was like, what scenarios did you have to work with?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)