myer group interview! (1 Viewer)

ashlii18

HSC
There is heaps of stuff on the vogue forums about the myer interviews etc.
Here's a recent one that has lots of info about what they do in the interviews, what they ask you to do and everything:

http://forums.vogue.com.au/showthread.php?t=306072&page=7&highlight=Myer+interview

Also, Im from a smaller town and when I went to book my group interview straight after I got their email there was only two sessions to choose from. Do you think this is a good thing??

gemmal

HSC
ashlii18 said:
There is heaps of stuff on the vogue forums about the myer interviews etc.
Here's a recent one that has lots of info about what they do in the interviews, what they ask you to do and everything:

http://forums.vogue.com.au/showthread.php?t=306072&page=7&highlight=Myer+interview

Also, Im from a smaller town and when I went to book my group interview straight after I got their email there was only two sessions to choose from. Do you think this is a good thing??
Oh awesome, thanks!
There's probably onto two sessions because there aren't that many people from your neck of the woods. It is a group interview so you can't have the small amount of people spread out over many sessions.

gemmal

HSC
Anyone have any tips on sales? What is Myer looking for?

jannny

HSC
I wonder when they notify people that they got the job!?

gemmal

HSC
jannny said:
I wonder when they notify people that they got the job!?
I think it's pretty much straight away, a day or two after the group interview. Time is ticking, they want to have you trained, and have some on floor experience before the xmas rush starts.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
at the Bondi/Eastgardens interview they told us that we should expect to wait up to 4-6 weeks for any information about whether we got the job or not. They're also not doing individual interviews, so if you got the job you go straight into training etc.
*crosses fingers* I REALLY hope I get it.

gemmal

HSC
ahen said:
at the Bondi/Eastgardens interview they told us that we should expect to wait up to 4-6 weeks for any information about whether we got the job or not. They're also not doing individual interviews, so if you got the job you go straight into training etc.
*crosses fingers* I REALLY hope I get it.
How did the group interview go, what did you guys do? Can you give us abit of a run down?

wendus

krawr.
HSC
i remember a little bit from mine a couple of years back.
they go round the tables first and ask each of you to tell them a bit about yourself + why you want to work at myer. then they get you guys to ask them questions. i don't remember doing any more than that actually.

pandaaMONIA

HSC
My Group interview Is scheduled for 25th September at Roselands Myer. Anyone else got an interview there, then at that time?
I'm a bit nervous about it all, only because I really want the job : D. A few questions though...
What age group do they normally choose? Saying, I'm only 16 and I'm sure there will be much older people there than me.
Also, what kind of pay am I looking at for a 16 year old at Myer?
I appreciate all the help and all information will be taken onboard : )

HSC
nanaxdd said:
ok ive never even done a group interview so i duno whats gona happen..they said they wud put us in a table of approx 6 ppl and see how we do in their activities?!?! huh??? anyways...i duno what to do! has anyone done these b4...what do they normally ask u to do?
Yeh I've been to group interviews and basically they get you into groups give you scenarios with customers e.g. what would you do if the phone is ringing, a customer wants to do a return, the beepers are going off, there is a spill on the floor, you suspect someone shoplifting at the same time in order prioritise them...that sort of stuff.
REMEMBER don't sit there and not say much!!! speak out when appropriate. At the beginning they usually get everyone to do a brief intro about themselves this is where you get your chance!! When doing the group work comment alot and show some sort of knowledge but remember to let others speak and agree/disagree reasons the myer people will probably walk around and record stuff on a paper about your progress and how well you participate. Thats about all ahaha good luck!!

HSC
pandaaMONIA said:
My Group interview Is scheduled for 25th September at Roselands Myer. Anyone else got an interview there, then at that time?
I'm a bit nervous about it all, only because I really want the job : D. A few questions though...
What age group do they normally choose? Saying, I'm only 16 and I'm sure there will be much older people there than me.
Also, what kind of pay am I looking at for a 16 year old at Myer?
I appreciate all the help and all information will be taken onboard : )
Hey man don't stress over the age thing just shine on the day XD!!! I was 15 when i was hired by David Jones so don't worry too much!!! I was really intimidated by the older people not to mention there was some TEACHER there as well he was from japan XD

Last edited:

gemmal

HSC
honeynlicorice said:
Yeh I've been to group interviews and basically they get you into groups give you scenarios with customers e.g. what would you do if the phone is ringing, a customer wants to do a return, the beepers are going off, there is a spill on the floor, you suspect someone shoplifting at the same time in order prioritise them...that sort of stuff.
REMEMBER don't sit there and not say much!!! speak out when appropriate. At the beginning they usually get everyone to do a brief intro about themselves this is where you get your chance!! When doing the group work comment alot and show some sort of knowledge but remember to let others speak and agree/disagree reasons the myer people will probably walk around and record stuff on a paper about your progress and how well you participate. Thats about all ahaha good luck!!
Any how are you suppose to priorities that? What are some basic rules to follow?

HSC
gemmal said:
Any how are you suppose to priorities that? What are some basic rules to follow?
Majority of the group interviews i've been to would get you to prioritise a scenario similar to that but heaps more than what i've listed because i've forgotten quite alot of them, so be prepared.
Safety is always first so wipe up the spills and explain to the customer something like "I won't be long, sorry for the wait"so they know your not ignoring them. With customer service usually when the customer walks in you smile at them then within 3 minutes or something (can't remember) approach them with open questions where they don't answer yes/no something like "what were you looking for today" they will answer and you can go on with helping. HOWEVER if you can tell the customer wants you to leave them alone do not bug them just say"if you need any help feel free to ask" then leave.

Im not sure about Myers but companies like David Jones likes their employees to ask customers for complimentary items to add to the transaction at the registers e.g. if the customer buys a suitcase you might ask the customers if they would like to take a look at the locks which is usually convenientley at the register. Close the transaction with something like " Thankyou, Have a nice day". This might sound really stalkerish and freaky:eek: but when i was training i was told to try to remember customer names so the customer feels as if you are committed to serving them but i never do it. Hope that helps

HSC
frootloop said:
Well I went to my group interview for the Sydney City store and we were told that there wouldn't be any individual interviews- that we'd just have to wait for an email (within a month) saying if we got the job or not.

Speaking of which I got an email earlier today :) :

"From your application and assessment we are able to establish that you have a combination of skills that makes you a suitable candidate for a position with Myer.

We would like to advise that you have progressed to the next stage in our recruitment process and your application is currently being reviewed. This may take a number of weeks, due to the volume of applications we have received. Please be advised that your application is currently on hold and we will contact you ASAP via email."

So that means I've got a position right? :confused: It just hasn't been confirmed as of yet... I'm thinking they're still deciding who they want at the Sydney City store and who they want at other stores.. or maybe they're doing referee checks now? Suppose it doesn't matter seeing as how I said I want to start after my exams finish (late November).

Anyone else heard back from Myer yet?
I got an email sort of like yours too about 2 days after I had the group interview.

It said "From your application and assessment we are able to establish that you have a combination of skills that makes you a suitable candidate for this position. Over the coming weeks we will be finalising the Christmas Casual recruitment and will be back in contact with you to confirm if we are able to successfully place you into a Christmas Casual position."

Yea I was confused too? Does this mean I have the job and their just finalising? Or have they just made like the "1st cuts" or something and I made it through that stage but still deciding? If that makes sense?

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
gemmal said:
How did the group interview go, what did you guys do? Can you give us abit of a run down?
I thought the interview went quite well, there's another Myer interview thread floating around from a few years ago and I looked at that before I went to my interview, I think that put me at ease because I knew what to expect.
But anyway they told us to sit at a table then the HR rep went through what we'd be doing during the day, this was followed by all the other HR reps giving a brief introduction about themselves : name, how long they've been working there blah blah
So then it was our turn to do it at our own tables and we were constantly reminded to just completely ignore the HR rep at our table and talk 'naturally'. We started off by saying our names, what we did, what department we wanted to work in and an 'interesting fact about ourselves'. That was easy and over pretty quickly though I discovered that everyone there was older than me, there was a 2nd year student and everyone else was a graduate or about to graduate, but don't let that stand in your way!
you could immediately tell who was over enthusiastic and who wouldn't talk at all, one guy was really over the top and seemed to be sucking up to the company too much... it was strange.
They then spent ages going through a form we'd have to fill out which is basically just your name address, availability etc (all the crap you've already done online) after a million years doing that we moved onto the 'group activities'. These lasted about 15 mins, they gave us 3 scenarios and 5 mins to discuss each. I can't remember them all exactly but they were along the lines of:
' a male customer comes in and is looking at perfume for his partner, how would you advise him?'
we were just like - age, what she likes, what she currently uses, any celebrities she likes, what kind of 'girl' she is etc (though the 'partner' could be a guy too ya know but anyway)
then they added that he was really iffy about it and needed more help, so we said that we'd take him through it in more detail, tell him what we or other girls of that age tend to like etc
the other one was a customer comes in after christmas all fuming and flaming cos the dress she bought her daughter was ripped and a sales assitant had assured her it'd be perfect, what do we do?
We said we'd listen to her let her get everything off her chest, assure her we'll help, apologise and take her through the company policy, take her to the sales rack and ensure she gets the best quality product if she wants to exchange or just refund.
See this is where the strange guy was all 'but no don't apologise you have to think about the company, they will lose money, you can't just accept whatever she says'
and we were like 'dude, if she has a docket and it hasn't been worn then there's no big deal , just follow the policy, the customer is always right'
but he kept refuting that, god knows why.

the whole time our HR rep sat at the top of the table writing down notes next to people's names based on their answers to each question ( i know this because i peeked).

the HR rep also stressed very heavily that YOU NEED TO BE AVAILALBE ANY TIME DURING THE CHRISTMAS PERIOD
ANY
TIME
BECAUSE THEY WILL CALL YOU
AND THEY WILL MURDER YOU IF YOU ARE NOT AVAILABLE
EVEN IF YOU ARE GETTING MARRIED

frootloop

HSC
8. said:
Yea I was confused too? Does this mean I have the job and their just finalising? Or have they just made like the "1st cuts" or something and I made it through that stage but still deciding? If that makes sense?
Man, I don't know! I'm hoping it's the former rather than the latter of the two possibilities you mentioned. Wow, 2 days after aye? I think they probably had some sort of ranking thing happening and getting contacted only 2 days later is definitely a good thing. I think I'll let myself believe that since I said I won't be available to start until late November that they didn't exactly contact me right away lol. :p

born2b

HSC
ahh!! missed out on my interview.. online booking checked my email after 24 hours and it was all booked out !! ::mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!

lol better luck next time eh?

HSC
her ahen were you at the 4pm group interview? me too

btw i got that email that i "progressed to the next round". pretty confised. hope it means i got it and they're allocating me to some store instead of rejecting me at the last minute

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
**freakstar87** said:
her ahen were you at the 4pm group interview? me too

btw i got that email that i "progressed to the next round". pretty confised. hope it means i got it and they're allocating me to some store instead of rejecting me at the last minute
hey! no i was at the 2pm one.

I also got an email that reads exactly the same as everyone elses, here's hoping that means we're getting employed soon!

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Hmmm..i'm in the process of applying for a x-mas casual, jst need to get afew references off teachers tomorrow..is it too late? :<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)