myth busters---2006 hsc (1 Viewer)

wdoueihi

2006 HSC Student.
HSC
guys take a look at this....my brother gave it to me. His wife is a university lecturer.

Due to some highly reliable research by the University of Armington, the following myths have been busted.

"studying for long periods of time in the week before the hsc will help you on the day" ---false. In actual fact, studying two hours a day or less will allow your brain to absorb information at an accurate level. Any more study will most likely jumble up your short term memory and will have disasterous impacts on your ability to recall information during your examination. It is therefore recommended that no more than two hours of study per day should be undertaken.

"In order to maximise your chances of success, you should have been prepared for the hsc since day one."---false. In actual fact, studying on a regular basis for a long period of time will give the individual slightly more chance of recalling information in an examination situation. however, it has been proven that long term study s not a critical aspect in hsc examination success.

"Cramming information for two hours the night before will reduce my chances of success in an hsc exammination"---false. In actual fact it is undoubtedly evident that a no more than two hour cramming period usually results in the individual accurately retaining 98.43% (on average) of the information.

the moral of the story is....studying your behind off only results in increation levels of stress, a jumbled short term memory and hence a considerably lower examination mark. studying no more than two hours per day is the key to hsc success. Also, regular study does not neccesarily result in a higher mark. Occasional study (every few days) will allow your brain to proccess the information and ultimately increase your chances of success.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
wdoueihi said:
"studying for long periods of time in the week before the hsc will help you on the day" ---false. In actual fact, studying two hours a day or less will allow your brain to absorb information at an accurate level. Any more study will most likely jumble up your short term memory and will have disasterous impacts on your ability to recall information during your examination. It is therefore recommended that no more than two hours of study per day should be undertaken.

"In order to maximise your chances of success, you should have been prepared for the hsc since day one."---false. In actual fact, studying on a regular basis for a long period of time will give the individual slightly more chance of recalling information in an examination situation. however, it has been proven that long term study s not a critical aspect in hsc examination success.
Does that not contradict itself? lol.

And I call bull crap, how many people was this study taken over? Especially the first point, I believe it's down to the individual and their own methods. Infact, if I was to only study 2 hours a day, I'd most likely forget the stuff I studied since it would be over such a long period of time...
It also depends how people space out their study, if you were to do 4 hours in the early hours of the day it would sink in by night, then another 3 hours at night would sink in over night...

GaganDeep

fffff
HSC
is 1 h a day, speard out thorugh out theday as u watch movies, watch tv and listen to music? is it enough?

wdoueihi

2006 HSC Student.
HSC
well i trust my brothers wife. why would she lie to me anyways. she has a phd in psychology and neurology. she knows heaps of sht about how the brain works. anyways its been working for me. i can remember everything i have studied 2day. wen u study heaps u just forget what u have studied b4. coz u have a limited memory.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
I'm not saying the research is invalid, the people she took it over might work that way? But again, I believe it's down to the individual, their own methods, and how their own brain works - I don't believe this would be the "key to success" for everyone. I mean I even know people who have almost photographic memories, one guy I knew never turned up to class and just read the text book the night before. He had a bottle of jim bean in his bag when he arrived at the exam too, and he got 85% (this was a year 11 half yearly).

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
wdoueihi said:
well i trust my brothers wife. why would she lie to me anyways. she has a phd in psychology and neurology. she knows heaps of sht about how the brain works. anyways its been working for me. i can remember everything i have studied 2day. wen u study heaps u just forget what u have studied b4. coz u have a limited memory.
i believe you wdoueihi or rather your brothers wife

:),

thats very good news for us bludgers, but i know those dudes doing 6+ hours of study will still whip my behind, because they actually concentraE

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
"In actual fact it is undoubtedly evident that a no more than two hour cramming period usually results in the individual accurately retaining 98.43% (on average) of the information."

No offence intended towards the poster, but this statistic is clearly bullsh*t.

michaeln36

HSC
lol i want it to be true.. but obviously its not.

2 hours a day is no where near enough time to cover the entire syllabus in any detail.

My theory: Since the UAI is a ranking, this person knows if they make us do worse, it will lower our ranks, effectively pushing up their own UAI - cynical, i know.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS PERSON -- 2 hours of study a day is crap all. U will do heaps bad if u study that much. Think back to ur trails -- did studying more help or worsen ur mark? obviously help.

STUDY!

michaeln36

HSC
dagwoman said:
"In actual fact it is undoubtedly evident that a no more than two hour cramming period usually results in the individual accurately retaining 98.43% (on average) of the information."

No offence intended towards the poster, but this statistic is clearly bullsh*t.
hahaha yea-- i picked up on that as well. Obviously u cant come up with a statistic that accurate for something that is hard to measure - such as memory retainment. AND 98.43% ROFL - if that was true everyone in the state would be getting 98% in their hsc -- since most people end up cramming alot the night b4.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
And of the many study guides I've read, they've all said that small amounts of regular study is the way to go in terms of retaining information, i.e. 10 minutes every day is HEAPS better than an hour a week.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Highly reliable research by the University of Armington??? :confused:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Contribute to Myths of the 2006 HSC!

And plus, peoples' brains work differently. I CANNOT cope with the stress of cramming, but my best friend thrives with it. We both get very similar marks.

Another great tip my Chem teacher taught me is that if you place your notes under your pillow for 5 hrs a night (2am-7am is best but if you can't any time around then is okay), you retain 70.96% more than those who only study during waking hours. EDIT: I should explain that is because the information diffuses into the fibres of the pillow allowing a "gateway" as such into the brain's long term memory.

Anyone else care to add some myths?

HSC
N/A
Re: Contribute to Myths of the 2006 HSC!

Hmm just to add to what others said above - it's really up to the individual.

Now, I *can* and have been able to store a lot of information in my head at short notice. This is a skill particularly useful for multiple-choice based exams when you have to know 50-100 different definitions. But for subjects where understanding is required, then I find that it's better if I've spread the studying process over a longer time.

Whilst HSC exams are largely regurgitation based, there IS a hell of a lot of content to cover so I assume most people aim to study 4-5 hours minimum at this stage of the game.

wdoueihi

2006 HSC Student.
HSC
i called up my bros wife. she says the sample base was 230 people. also she says that the statistics were based on four seperate examinations then averaged to get that statistic u see before u. plus im not a fn psychopath. why the hell would i post that if it wasnt true. i mean read it...it makes perfectly good sense to me.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i don't believe it. i mean, if u study for 2 hours per day, what do u do for the rest of the 10 hours?
play gamse? watch tv? watch movies?
that'll just throw your 2 hours of study out of the window.

for me, i only have good memory recall when put under pressure; and hence: practise essay writing isn't that great for me. lol .. no pressure.
i kinda thrive on the few-days before study.

i did 8-10ish hours of study 2day ... and even though i don't recall all the info that i read over, i'm pretty sure that the constant pounding of information will be more beneficial than just 2 hours of study for 6 - 7 subjects?

c0okies

HSC
Re: Contribute to Myths of the 2006 HSC!

study of how much information?... 200 words?

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
michaeln36 said:
My theory: Since the UAI is a ranking, this person knows if they make us do worse, it will lower our ranks, effectively pushing up their own UAI - cynical, i know.
It's not a ranking is it? I thought it changed to standard-based -.-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)