• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Myth: RANKING FIRST in a subject means you automatically will go well in HSC exam..? (1 Viewer)

mib

HSC
Iv heard that if you rank first in a subject... even if you dont go well in the exam.. you still get the highest mark produced by your year group in that subject... is this true?

Deep Blue

HSC
Re: Myth: RANKING FIRST in a subject means you automatically will go well in HSC exam

You will get the highest internal mark for that exam, yes. However, the your HSC mark is the average of your internal and external, so this may mean someone could average higher than you, and get a higher HSC mark.

mib

HSC
Re: Myth: RANKING FIRST in a subject means you automatically will go well in HSC exam

So you do get "some one els HSC EXAM mark"... form your school?, what is your external mark?

D94

HSC
N/A

So you do get "some one els HSC EXAM mark"... form your school?, what is your external mark?
Your own; you get your own HSC exam mark.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

External mark = What you get in your hsc after if has been aligned so the hsc mark. You get someone elses hsc external mark as your internal mark (50% of overall mark) if you are ranked first but do not come first out of your grade in that subject in the hsc exam.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

I'll give you an example of legal studies at my school last year. The highest exam mark was 97, but it was by the kid who was ranked 3rd. The kid ranked 1 only got 94, but because he was 1st he got the mark of 97 as his assessment mark.

Rank 1 - Exam mark: 94 Assessment Mark: 97 HSC mark: 96 (keeps exam mark, gets highest exam mark as assessment mark, e.g. gets 97 from guy ranked 3rd for assessment)

Rank 2 - Exam mark: 95 Assessment Mark: 95 HSC mark 95 (high exam mark+2nd highest exam mark as assessment mark, which happens to be his own exam mark)

Rank 3 - Exam Mark: 97 Assessment Mark 95 HSC mark 96 (takes the 3rd highest exam mark as his assessment mark - e.g. in this case, the guy whose ranked 4th)

Rank 4 - Exam Mark: 95 Assessment Mark: 94 HSC Mark 95 (Gets 4th highest exam mark as assessment mark, in this case, the guy whose ranked 1st, so he gets the 94)

enoilgam

HSC

The person who comes first internally gets the top external mark as their final internal mark. Similarly, the person who comes last internally gets the bottom external mark as their final internal mark. All other in between get a moderated mark (i.e. 2nd does NOT get the 2nd highest external mark as their internal mark).

mib

HSC

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh i finally get it haha ! its only taken the year.... i have been explained it so many times but have not understood... so the assessment mark you get from your school....... is now disregarded.. and its all about marks from the exam..

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh i finally get it haha ! its only taken the year.... i have been explained it so many times but have not understood... so the assessment mark you get from your school....... is now disregarded.. and its all about marks from the exam..
Yes the marks you got in school are disregarded, the ranks will count for 50% of your mark but they also depend on the results from the hsc exam.

mib

HSC

Thank you very much ! for clearing that up,
does this method apply to major works and creative subjects ( i do music and art )

D94

HSC
N/A

Yes and no. When they pin the first ranked person with the highest external mark, and pin the last ranked person with the lowest external mark, the gaps between each rank as per the assessments you do through the year, get taken into consideration in order to moderate the external marks which in turn provide your moderated assessment marks. So, you still have to do good throughout the year, and not rely on HSC, but if everyone does well in the HSC (ie. everyone is between 99 and 91), then the gap difference is so small, that people will eventually get the same mark, even though internally, there could have been 5 marks between first and second, and 10 marks between first and fifth (eg.). So ideally, you'd want everyone in your cohort to be as close as possible, and as high as possible relative to the State.

enoilgam

HSC

Yes and no. When they pin the first ranked person with the highest external mark, and pin the last ranked person with the lowest external mark, the gaps between each rank as per the assessments you do through the year, get taken into consideration in order to moderate the external marks which in turn provide your moderated assessment marks. So, you still have to do good throughout the year, and not rely on HSC, but if everyone does well in the HSC (ie. everyone is between 99 and 91), then the gap difference is so small, that people will eventually get the same mark, even though internally, there could have been 5 marks between first and second, and 10 marks between first and fifth (eg.). So ideally, you'd want everyone in your cohort to be as close as possible, and as high as possible relative to the State.
This

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)