N Korea conducts Nuclear test. (2 Viewers)

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
They can't aim their missles and even if they could their nukes are too big to be carried by them.

They aren't a real threat. They will never be allowed to become a real threat. If they continue how they are going its just a matter of time before someone attacks them.
North Korea already has large amounts of deadly chemical weapons that they can fit onto missiles that can reach Japan. I doubt anyone would attack NK anytime soon. Because Japan, China, SK will never give permission to the likes of the US to attack them. And without them, there's no way anyone can even reach NK.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
i am pretty sure india has more nukes than China. Then you also have pakistan who have nukes as well. Of those three countries i am sure will not allow any other country to further develop nuclear weapons.

At least China will not allow Japan at any cost to gain nuclear weapons.
Will China go to war with Japan over nuclear weapons? With the US military commitment to Japan, that's highly unlikely.

Let's face it, the US military is still stronger than China's. And noone's wants nuclear holocaust.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
what971 said:
North Korea already has large amounts of deadly chemical weapons that they can fit onto missiles that can reach Japan. I doubt anyone would attack NK anytime soon. Because Japan, China, SK will never give permission to the likes of the US to attack them. And without them, there's no way anyone can even reach NK.
Russia can and if they could easily thump Korea. There will be no resistance to a russian invasion - but the russian wont be bothered to do so. thats another nuclear power in asia.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
To the people who think NK can be easily defeated, I think you're forgetting the little detail about NK's 1.2million man army and stockpiles of Chemical Weapons that (to East Asians anyway) are as much as a threat as nuclear weapons.

This is the main reason, SK's not really shaken by this test, any attack by NK on SK whether it be conventional, chemical, nuclear = worst case scenario. The real losers in this event are China and the US. And yeah, I think Russia has too many problems in Chechnya and the like.

melb22

HSC
N/A
North korea would never use a nuclear weapon. They aint that stupid. They will use it to leverage favours or to prevent any country from attacking them. Once they use the nuclear weapon, they know they would be history and they would lose the only thing they had to bargain. I still think usa today is much much more likely to use a nuclear weapons on another country then nth korea. Having said that i would have preferred if nth korea didnt go nuclear but now they have gone and it is going to stay that way.....

By the way are there any sth koreans here??? Just wondering if hypothetically if the western countries do attack nth korea and then if they are able to do a regime change, Would south koreans prefer to have 1 united korea like what the germans did or would u guys prefer to have two seperate countries???

If japan wanted to go nuclear, they would. China cant do anything even if they wanted to. I personally think Japan would definately increase their military budget now. Right now they spend very little, just 1% of their total gdp, lower then almost every country. They have a very good navy and with usa air bases no country would attack them.

Last edited:

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Think it's obvious Korea would like to be unified as soon as possible.

But South Korea will never let any foreign power attack NK, not from its own territory at any rate.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
I wonder if australia will ever get nuclear weapons?

Or maybe we've already developed some top-secret weapons defence system that makes them obsolete?

-P_D

melb22

HSC
N/A
I dont know about nuclear weapons, but australia should have had nuclear power industry few decades ago. I think they missed a golden opportunity. Right now in the next few decades china and india are gonna spend billions on the nuclear energy industry. Just india is going to spend around 60-70 billion dollars on their nuclear power industry in the next decade and it is not a small number. Australia already has massive amount of uranium and if they already had a well developed nuclear power industry they could have got there hands on the massive contracts that in the years to come companys from usa, france and russia would.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
what971 said:
Think it's obvious Korea would like to be unified as soon as possible.

But South Korea will never let any foreign power attack NK, not from its own territory at any rate.
you need to attack from SK - plus i am sure SK will be convinced to fight against NK if any country was to go to war with NK,

numbers mean nothin, 1.2million might sound a lot but pretty pointless if you are economically unsustainable. All countries around the world have already talked about sanctions against NK. NK need not be defeated militiarically they can easily be defeated economically they depend highly upon aid.

At last resort NK will then have to threaten or invade a nearby country for resources when this happens.. i am sure they be attack and obliterated. Unlike IRaq or afghanistan there is little interest for other countries to preserve NK (like no oil etc).

military NK are weak compared to neighbours. china, india, pakistan, and of course russia. Japan are i think have militaric restrictions on them by the USA - nevertheless they have full support of them.

NK cannot win against the world - Asia is becoming more and more important globally economically as a result it is in the interests of the rest of the world at all costs to maintain stability there. China and India re two fastest growing economies .. relative terms, both have been boasted to be superpowers inthe future both have large militarys and advanced technologies.

HSC
N/A
P_Dilemma said:
I wonder if australia will ever get nuclear weapons?

Or maybe we've already developed some top-secret weapons defence system that makes them obsolete?

-P_D
Why would Australia even need nuclear weapons?? It barely has an army and our main form of defence is alliances with other countries. Also, who the hell would bother attacking Australia?! It would be a waste of time and money. It's a huge area, geographically and it's population is low. Maybe smaller scale bombings or something, but I would think even those would be executed by Australian residents, not foreign countries trying invade us or something. If you were going to terrorise a country with intent to cause maximum economic destruction and loss of lives (and spend all that time and money developing these weapons) - Australia would not be on top of your hit list, by far. USA, UK, some other European or major Asian countries, maybe.
Well thats my opinion, anyway.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
you need to attack from SK - plus i am sure SK will be convinced to fight against NK if any country was to go to war with NK,

numbers mean nothin, 1.2million might sound a lot but pretty pointless if you are economically unsustainable. All countries around the world have already talked about sanctions against NK. NK need not be defeated militiarically they can easily be defeated economically they depend highly upon aid.

At last resort NK will then have to threaten or invade a nearby country for resources when this happens.. i am sure they be attack and obliterated. Unlike IRaq or afghanistan there is little interest for other countries to preserve NK (like no oil etc).

military NK are weak compared to neighbours. china, india, pakistan, and of course russia. Japan are i think have militaric restrictions on them by the USA - nevertheless they have full support of them.

NK cannot win against the world - Asia is becoming more and more important globally economically as a result it is in the interests of the rest of the world at all costs to maintain stability there. China and India re two fastest growing economies .. relative terms, both have been boasted to be superpowers inthe future both have large militarys and advanced technologies.
If you knew anything about the South Korean psyche and society, you'd know that they would NEVER (no not even the americans) let anyone attack NK from its territory unless NK started a massive offensive towards SK first.

India and Pakistan pretty balance each other out, China won't invade NK anytime soon and Russia is having trouble with a couple of thousand troops on its Southern Front. Any war in NK would have to be a long and drawn out war, and say (if China) attacked the NK would rain down chemical weapons on Beijing. Yes, the NK would eventually lose to the likes of China and the US but there will definately be millions of casualties, and that's why fighting the NK is just not worth it.

Also, I doubt there would be any united front against NK. Enough trouble getting China, Japan, SK united on this as it is, it'll be even harder to do that on the world stage. And no. No one will attack NK now anyway. They've got nukes now.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
The_Apprentice said:
Why would Australia even need nuclear weapons?? It barely has an army and our main form of defence is alliances with other countries. Also, who the hell would bother attacking Australia?! It would be a waste of time and money. It's a huge area, geographically and it's population is low. Maybe smaller scale bombings or something, but I would think even those would be executed by Australian residents, not foreign countries trying invade us or something. If you were going to terrorise a country with intent to cause maximum economic destruction and loss of lives (and spend all that time and money developing these weapons) - Australia would not be on top of your hit list, by far. USA, UK, some other European or major Asian countries, maybe.
lol. Indonesia. nah.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
The_Apprentice said:
NK's been itching to destroy Japan for a while now.....

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Japan's current constitution basically is to never use military force, so I highly doubt they will do anything and they are allies with USA who would most likely take the initiative if they saw a threat. NK obviously made the choice to go nuclear a while back and Westernised intelligence would of undoubtedly known (they've been talking about testing for months) so I doubt it's a huge surprise internally. I highly doubt NK will do anything seeing as they would economically fucked, they're just alerting to the world now the fact they too have nuclear weapons. Anyways, USA is to lose? They have more nuclear weapons than everyone combined.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
what971 said:
If you knew anything about the South Korean psyche and society, you'd know that they would NEVER (no not even the americans) let anyone attack NK from its territory unless NK started a massive offensive towards SK first.

India and Pakistan pretty balance each other out, China won't invade NK anytime soon and Russia is having trouble with a couple of thousand troops on its Southern Front. Any war in NK would have to be a long and drawn out war, and say (if China) attacked the NK would rain down chemical weapons on Beijing. Yes, the NK would eventually lose to the likes of China and the US but there will definately be millions of casualties, and that's why fighting the NK is just not worth it.

Also, I doubt there would be any united front against NK. Enough trouble getting China, Japan, SK united on this as it is, it'll be even harder to do that on the world stage. And no. No one will attack NK now anyway. They've got nukes now.
Russia is in a class of it's own. I agree, I doubt anyone would invade NK unless the NK waged war and if they had any smart economists they would basically tell them it would be lost before it started.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
The USA loses when ONE nuclear attack happens on their territory.

Now that the NK has nuclear weapons, they can basically bribe the US for (what could be) unlimited concessions. If they don't, the NK can sell it onto terrorists and the like. Also, the NK would be free to engage in low-scale military operations in East Asia without being fearful of foreign invasion because of its nuclear capability.

melb22

HSC
N/A
what971 said:
India and Pakistan pretty balance each other out
there is no balance between india and pakistan militarily or economically. India has the better army, navy and airforce in term of number and better tech. In terms of military it is on par with china. China wouldnt be able defeat india if they ever attack India. Though India cant do the same as well. Indian airforce and navy qualitatively is much superior to china though china has much better numbers.

Last edited:

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I don't see the US co-operating with NK unless it's something the UN enforces.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
melb22 said:
there is no balance between india and pakistan militarily or economically. India has the better army, navy and airforce. In terms of military it is on par with china. China wouldnt be able defeat india if they ever attack India. Though India cant do the same as well. Indian airforce and navy qualitatively is much superior to china though china has much better numbers.
India and Pakistan balance each other out because they basically neutralise the ability of the opposing army to conduct large-scale military operations outside South Asia. I remember they nearly went to war over a shooting in the Indian parliament a few years ago but didn't due to the Pakistani nuke.

Obviously this is what the British had in mind when they divided the country before they left, they divided it into religious lines in order for them to cancel each other out and so they couldn't operate as a military power on the larger world stage.

I wonder why we're talking about India-China War here, cuz I'm sure that won't happen any time soon. We wouldn't be talking about the navies though, because both are not blue-water navies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)