Name of the steps that occur in Meiosis (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
What are the name of the steps that occur in Meiosis for this picture? Basically what happens in each step? (Taken out of 2012 HSC sample answers)

buriza

conviction
HSC
May be wrong.

1. Interphase
2. Prophase
3. Metaphase
4. Anaphase
5. Telophase.

Flop21

HSC
Do we have to name the stage, or can we just describe what is happening?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Do we have to name the stage, or can we just describe what is happening?
Yeah describe what's happening, because I may be wrong in describing it myself.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
What are the name of the steps that occur in Meiosis for this picture? Basically what happens in each step? (Taken out of 2012 HSC sample answers)

I think the first picture is the cell nucleus, after that the chromosomes replicate, then the chromosomes line up (I think there's a better way to word this), then crossing over, and then the 4 gametes are produced. (Not too sure about this though)

Flop21

HSC
Okay so each row is 1 -> 5 (also I'm going to attempt to describe, but can someone help me out and correct me / clarify).

1 = Interphase, where no cell division is occuring, and before meiosis.

2 = Prophase I, where chromosomes line up with homologous pairs, crossing over occurs.

3 = Metaphase I, where hetrozygous pairs line up at the equator.

4 = Anaphase I / Telephase I (?), where chromosomes move apart resulting in 2 cells.

5 = Telophase 2 (?), Chromatids have seperated forming haploid gametes.

Flop21

HSC
Tryin to say we're wrong? lol jks, it'll be good if someone can confirm our answers.
tbh I'm pretty sure my description is okay, it's just the names for the different phases I wasn't sure. But do we even need to know the phases?? Especially on a diagram like this that has obviously simplified the steps / doesn't show all phases.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
tbh I'm pretty sure my description is okay, it's just the names for the different phases I wasn't sure. But do we even need to know the phases?? Especially on a diagram like this that has obviously simplified the steps / doesn't show all phases.
I haven't really come across any HSC question that asks about Prophase, Metaphase, etc. I've only seen questions about crossing over, random segregation but this 2012 HSC question came as a surprise, it's good to know how chromosomes work in meiosis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)