Naming CFC (1 Viewer)

wolsty7

HSC
1278533_10201703549221103_67228352_n.jpg

why is the answer "c", shouldn't it be "a"?

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
I think it's because you give lowest numbers to most electronegative halogen: F>Cl>Br>I

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I think it's because you give lowest numbers to most electronegative halogen: F>Cl>Br>I
That rule applies after all the other rules don't work(i.e more than 1 answer). In this case Cl comes first alphabetically... I would have gone for OP's answer but I don't know anymore...

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
I was always taught that it was alphabetical order with the halogens. I would've answered A but now I'm also confused.
Organic nomenclature was my least favourite part of chemistry.

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Yup it's alphabetical, OP you're right.

Which book is this btw?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Looks like a past paper

wolsty7

HSC
a catholic school past trial paper, not sure which one tho

jaycoo50

HSC
View attachment 28596

why is the answer "c", shouldn't it be "a"?
No One could answer this easy question and your also wrong! Learn to study smart, you had to memorise the rules of naming them! It took me 1 second to work out the answer

lol the answer is c, because the chlorine is on the 5 carbon while the fluorine is on the 3 carbon. so alphabetical chloro comes first followed by fluoro, so the answer is:
c) 5-chloro-3-fluoroheptane. Note that: Heptane means 7 carboon, don't confuse your self in HSC!

you are confusing option A with C, option A is right, but alphabetical the numbers are opposite. In Option A you can see, that Chlorine is not on the 3 carbon. Hence option is a is wrong.

Last edited:

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
No One could answer this easy question and your also wrong! Learn to study smart, you had to memorise the rules of naming them! It took me 1 second to work out the answer

lol the answer is c, because the chlorine is on the 5 carbon while the fluorine is on the 3 carbon. so alphabetical chloro comes first followed by fluoro, so the answer is:
c) 5-chloro-3-fluoroheptane. Note that: Heptane means 7 carboon, don't confuse your self in HSC!

you are confusing option A with C, option A is right, but alphabetical the numbers are opposite. In Option A you can see, that Chlorine is not on the 3 carbon. Hence option is a is wrong.
"Assemble the components into a complete name, with the halogen and side group
names placed in front of the main stem name, in alphabetical order, ignoring any di-,
tri-, tetra-, etc prefixes. Eg 'dibromo' comes before 'chloro'," ...." the lowest locant is assigned to the functional group cited first
as a prefix." pg 4: http://www.raci.org.au/document/item/1012

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad

It's not left-to-right with nomenclature, that's just the way they're often drawn as a convenience. If you swapped the to halogen groups around on this particular molecule and just flipped it around you'd get the exact same one, so it is the same molecule. (this wouldn't apply if the two halogens weren't equidistant to the end of the carbon chain).

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I was taught this way
And never got any of these questions wrong
So I'd go with this

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I was taught this way
And never got any of these questions wrong
So I'd go with this
No. OP is correct. Look at the 2012 HSC. Look at question 12 and the answer given by board of studies.
There is a little annotation explaining the answer as D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)