• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

National Curriculum. (1 Viewer)

eschatos

HSC
Wikipedia with regards to Australia's National Curriculum, has this to say: "Forums such as the infamous Bored of Studies have also criticized the curriculum." (National Curriculum [Australia], n.d. )

Is this a case of 'citation needed'? Is it referring to the view of the administrators of this forum, the moderators, or to the individual users who post on this forum? What is your view on the development of the National Curriculum?

To start off, featured below is a reply from the Shadow Minister for Education (Christopher Pyne), when he was asked to comment on the National Curriculum, and what changes if any will the Coalition make on this body of work if elected to govern.

You may also wish to look at yesterday's (23/07/12) edition of the popular ABC program, Q&A, which can be found at: www.abc.net.au/qanda. Christopher Pyne was on the show's panel discussion that focused primarily on education-related issues.

Finally, I feel too much emphasis has been placed on the direction of the Australian Labor Party, and I do feel it necessary to bring to light the National Curriculum, and the direction of the Coalition in this regard.

References:

National Curriculum (Australia), (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved Tuesday 24th of July, 2012, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Curriculum_(Australia)

[HR][/HR]

Dear _____,

Thank you for taking the time to email me with regard to the National Curriculum, and what changes if any will the Coalition make.

As you may be aware, the Coalition is supportive of the concept of a National Curriculum. The development of a National Curriculum began under the Howard Government, however the Opposition has expressed reservations about the direction the curriculum has taken under Labor.

The Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority has a sincere responsibility to ensure that a truly world class curriculum is developed, free from ideological bias, with a strong foundation on the basics that have been neglected for too many children in recent decades.

If elected the Coalition have a number of key initiatives we would investigate regarding the National Curriculum and national testing.

You may be interested to know that the Coalition are keen to work with the states to unshackle school principals from overbearing state bureaucracy so they can respond to the results of national testing and act to improve their own school community. This change would truly revolutionise public education, giving public school as similar capacity to govern themselves not unlike that as a non – government school.

For your reference, I have attached a copy of the Coalition’s Quality Education Policy.

We will continue to monitor curriculum development very closely.

Thank you again for taking the time to email me about the National Curriculum. I wish you all the best with your studies at Macquarie University.

Yours sincerely,
Christopher Pyne MP

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I think we should be moving further towards an education system where kids only care about a number they receive at the end of a course and how they can rote learn enough garbage to entertain a dot point.

Free thought and critical analysis of anything is not the domain of children and should never be.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Wikipedia with regards to Australia's National Curriculum, has this to say: "Forums such as the infamous Bored of Studies have also criticized the curriculum." (National Curriculum [Australia], n.d. )

Is this a case of 'citation needed'? Is it referring to the view of the administrators of this forum, the moderators, or to the individual users who post on this forum? What is your view on the development of the National Curriculum?
As a forum, boredofstudies is subject to a wide range of opinions. In the forum's history, it would not surprise me if the national curriculum had been criticised by at least some portion of the users. However, as far as I am aware, the forum takes no standardised stance on the issue, and any opinions on the matter would be reflective of the individual administrator, moderator, or user making those claims.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
I might be seeing it from a fence sitter position, i believe that it is good and somewhat fair in a way because it gives the atar a fair meaning since that is meant to be the rank that all aus uni's are meant to use, so in some respect everyone is studying the same thing and is given a fair representation. However i also agree with the point that it will make no difference and it doesn't stop people from rote learning, we need to move away from the concept of a number on a page. I don't believe HSC is a fair representation of a students potential to perform in tertiary study if anything i think it moulds students to hinder their ability to study, with the reliant on a syllabus and rote learn like HSC rather than think outside the box

Lentern

HSC
You may sneer but I'd fucken get shit done if I were in the lodge. I think I've already enlightened you on how I'd get the Republic resolved.

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I might be seeing it from a fence sitter position, i believe that it is good and somewhat fair in a way because it gives the atar a fair meaning since that is meant to be the rank that all aus uni's are meant to use, so in some respect everyone is studying the same thing and is given a fair representation. However i also agree with the point that it will make no difference and it doesn't stop people from rote learning, we need to move away from the concept of a number on a page. I don't believe HSC is a fair representation of a students potential to perform in tertiary study if anything i think it moulds students to hinder their ability to study, with the reliant on a syllabus and rote learn like HSC rather than think outside the box
Well that's where you're wrong

Kids that outperformed others in the HSC will generally outperform the same people in later studies (source: general observation). They perform well because they have a strong work ethic towards their studies. They'll learn and study and show a marker that they have learnt the material effectively and that they can convey it. You don't see kids that get 99 ATAR's suddenly only getting P's or F's in uni. If they do, it's not because they aren't smart enough, it's usually due to a lapse in behaviour or discipline.

What alternatives do you propose? Do you think criteria outside of what has been taught should be admitted into marking in high school or something of this nature?
You may sneer but I'd fucken get shit done if I were in the lodge. I think I've already enlightened you on how I'd get the Republic resolved.
forced gay mating?

Lentern

HSC

Kids that outperformed others in the HSC will generally outperform the same people in later studies (source: general observation). They perform well because they have a strong work ethic towards their studies. They'll learn and study and show a marker that they have learnt the material effectively and that they can convey it. You don't see kids that get 99 ATAR's suddenly only getting P's or F's in uni. If they do, it's not because they aren't smart enough, it's usually due to a lapse in behaviour or discipline.

What alternatives do you propose? Do you think criteria outside of what has been taught should be admitted into marking in high school or something of this nature?
forced gay mating?
'
Declare war on England.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
You would wouldn't you ya sadistic little creep.
Mate, think what you want but I would do more for this country than you ever could.

Within a year I would fix
- carbon tax (repeal it)
- illegal entry of asylum seeker boats into Australian waters (stop it)
- mining tax (increase it)
- 'green' programs (cut some, keep others)
- national school curriculum (modify it)
- improve due process and reduce committees. These are all well and good although when they take 5 years then the infrastructure takes 5+ years after that to build... maximum period of 6 months for all major project decisions
- legislate to make gay marriage legal

Within 10 years I would fix
- welfare crisis (make it harder for long term recipients who are not employed, studying or disabled)
- Australian identity crisis (fix it)
- turned around Australia's sporting performance at the 2016 Olympic games (reinstate funding & facilities)
- in the process of constructing major infrastructure (including a second Sydney airport)
- investigate the feasibility of removing state governments and giving more power to local (amalgamated) councils

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Please stay on topic guys. If you want to debate about how you'd fix/ruin the country, you're welcome to start a new thread.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

It happens a lot more often than you would think at first it would.

I agree with Lentern (and Goodwin also on this matter). The HSC is a poor tool in analysing how people perform at university or later in life due to the fact the HSC is all about rote learning. Most of those who get 99 in the HSC done so with extensive tutoring - those are the students who will find it a lot harder at university (and some will fail). For students who got 99 without tutoring etc then I commend them.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Please stay on topic guys. If you want to debate about how you'd fix/ruin the country, you're welcome to start a new thread.
Please move Lenterns post and my post (or copies of to a new thread). I would move mine although without Lenterns it would be out of context.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC

forced gay mating?
I'm suggesting that they should maybe not base their whole mediation on one exam.... Like it seems fair when they tell you that school marks are moderated to the HSC, but how fair is that when you could get the hardest marker in school and the mediation still doesn't represent what you should really get. I'm just suggesting that the idea isn't completely a dud there is something good out of it but at the same time it's not that great

Debauchee

HSC
HSC is a good predictor of university performance, but asians nearly always under-perform in the workplace compared to university scores.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)