national undergraduate scholarships (1 Viewer)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
cherryblossom said:
sorry, I think they're closed, they closed a month ago or so.

I got sort of offered a puny scholarship from a Sydney uni. :/ so I too am looking at a very povo year.

I applied for EAS too addy, and if I get the five I would get 103.75, so yeah :/
What scholarship was that, when did you recieve it, and how much were they offering? The university of sydney one I'm talking about.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
fleepbasding said:
What scholarship was that, when did you recieve it, and how much were they offering? The university of sydney one I'm talking about.
whoa slow down boy, lol. A guy rang me and said something about an automatic scholarship, and then talked about how poetic architecture is, then complained of a sore jaw and got off. I looked it up and I think it was a Deans Merit Scholarship for Architecture he was talking about - not for law. $1000 the first year, only :/

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
centrelink people confuse me. I've gone to the bloody office itself, rang up, rang up my school to get a teacher to ring up, and they tell me different things.
dude, you have that special rate of Centrelink. Apparently, I can only get that if I work for 18 months and prove I'm independent.
addy do they take EAS into account for the scholarships?
I don't think they do....eh. dammit, I hate my UAI
Cherry, you're going to make me go over this again aren't you? SHAME ON YOU!

1) Correct, I'm receiving the independant rate, but not because I earnt $18,000. neo_o? Earn $18,000? NOT ON YOUR LIFE!

2) You can receive YA through other means. I don't think the away from home rate and other similar rates apply to you because they're means tested. However, there are other ways to gain independance. You can be an orphan, married etc etc. OR it can be unreasonable for you to live at home.

3) While wishing to go to university in another state does not count, your family situation will. Also, depending on how rural you are, there may be a chance that you could get YA by claiming that it was IMPOSSIBLE for you to find work/go to university in your home town.

4) I got the run around when I called them. What you need to do is download the appropriate forms from the internet, walk in and hand them in. I got Centrelink the DAY AFTER I handed my forms in.

5) Register an intention to claim, then if you do claim within the next month (I think) they'll back date your payment to NOW.

6) Unfortunately, you can only really claim once you arrive in Canberra. If you want to be cheeky though, once you get your hall acceptance forms (and you accept) you can fill out your forms and mail them (or hand them in) just before you go down. That way, you'll have Centrelink as soon as you're down there :).

7)
Claim Info [READ ME!] - http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/ci004_0505/$file/ci004_0505en_p.pdf

Claim Form - http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/sy001_0505/$file/sy001_0505en_p.pdf

Intent to claim - http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/factors/intent_claim.htm

Unreasonable to live at home forms -

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/modY_0409/$file/modY_0409en_p.pdf

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/sy015_0410/$file/sy015_0410en_p.pdf

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/sy016_0410/$file/sy016_0410en_p.pdf

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/sy017_0410/$file/sy017_0410en_p.pdf

Rent Certificate -

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/su523_0412/$file/su523_0412en_p.pdf

Other forms are available here http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/forms/claim_forms_yal.htm#forms

Oh, and by the way. You don't have to be enrolled to claim, an acceptance letter is sufficient. You'll need that, as well as ID (I can't remember how many points of ID you need, but you basically need a passport and/or an original birth certificate along with three-four other bits of ID). You'll also need your banking info, the particular details about the course you're studying etc. Remember to take everything with you so that you don't have to go back again, and again, and again, and again.

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
neo_o said:
Cherry, you're going to make me go over this again aren't you? SHAME ON YOU!

1) Correct, I'm receiving the independant rate, but not because I earnt $18,000. neo_o? Earn $18,000? NOT ON YOUR LIFE!

2) You can receive YA through other means. I don't think the away from home rate and other similar rates apply to you because they're means tested. However, there are other ways to gain independance. You can be an orphan, married etc etc. OR it can be unreasonable for you to live at home.

3) While wishing to go to university in another state does not count, your family situation will. Also, depending on how rural you are, there may be a chance that you could get YA by claiming that it was IMPOSSIBLE for you to find work/go to university in your home town.

4) I got the run around when I called them. What you need to do is download the appropriate forms from the internet, walk in and hand them in. I got Centrelink the DAY AFTER I handed my forms in.

5) Register an intention to claim, then if you do claim within the next month (I think) they'll back date your payment to NOW.

6) Unfortunately, you can only really claim once you arrive in Canberra. If you want to be cheeky though, once you get your hall acceptance forms (and you accept) you can fill out your forms and mail them (or hand them in) just before you go down. That way, you'll have Centrelink as soon as you're down there :).

7) Getting links..brb.. just posting now so that i dont lose what ive already typed =/
sorry mate. Oh, if you don't mind me asking, did you have to have social workers in to check that you can get the unacceptable to live at home rate?
I'm not rural enough. My situation is very weird.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
sorry mate. Oh, if you don't mind me asking, did you have to have social workers in to check that you can get the unacceptable to live at home rate?
I'm not rural enough. My situation is very weird.
Play the family card, there has to be SOME reason why it's unreasonable for you to live at home. Social workers don't check, I had a useless mini-interview with a social worker while I was still in Sydney, afterwards I found out that you don't even need to talk to one unless you're under 16. What you and your parents say also needs to be verified by somebody close to the family, such as your family doctor.

By the way, I hope that you enjoy those forms!

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
neo_o said:
Play the family card, there has to be SOME reason why it's unreasonable for you to live at home. Social workers don't check, I had a useless mini-interview with a social worker while I was still in Sydney, afterwards I found out that you don't even need to talk to one unless you're under 16. What you and your parents say also needs to be verified by somebody close to the family, such as your family doctor.

By the way, I hope that you enjoy those forms!
well, according to my careers adviser (hahaha) she says you have to get social workers in to check your situation. So what did you do - can you go into details (PM me if you don't want to go into this on the boards), my situation is like bonkers unusual it takes fifteen minutes to explain it, and when I tried over the counter the people in the queue got pissed

I'm sure I'll have an orgy over them. :rolleyes: thanks dude

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
Get in touch when you do. PS: Your careers advisor has no idea :).

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
well, according to my careers adviser (hahaha) she says you have to get social workers in to check your situation. So what did you do - can you go into details (PM me if you don't want to go into this on the boards), my situation is like bonkers unusual it takes fifteen minutes to explain it, and when I tried over the counter the people in the queue got pissed

cherryblossom has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

Clear some space or I'll talk to you next time I see you on MSN, either/or. I'm not going to post anything personal here though :p

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
neo_o said:
cherryblossom has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

Clear some space or I'll talk to you next time I see you on MSN, either/or. I'm not going to post anything personal here though :p
you always ignore me on msn. cleared ! :)

ahh the quagmire that is centrelink

Kirika

HSC
OMG OMG OMG..... i got offered a scholarship.... had given up as checked at 500pm and nothing was there and then an email came at about 545pm and i was so shocked! it prolly came so late coz someone else prolly turned it down but YAY! am happy... who else got one?

sarahn

HSC
Kirika said:
OMG OMG OMG..... i got offered a scholarship.... had given up as checked at 500pm and nothing was there and then an email came at about 545pm and i was so shocked! it prolly came so late coz someone else prolly turned it down but YAY! am happy... who else got one?
hey congrats...can i ask - was it a national undergrad scholarship, the $10,000 a year, one (and if so, what was your UAI, if you dont mind me asking!)

i just got offered a regions scholarship, which is $5000 a year, so im also a happy camper!!!

Kirika

HSC
nah i got the region too. my uai was only 98 so im guessing they would have included the EAS points. that or no one else from my region applied for ANU, which is quite likely.

sarahn

HSC
did anyone out there get the national undergrad scholarship???

im curious to see what UAI was needed, as id thought i had a good chance with 99.75...

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Well done to both of you! That's a fantastic achievement! With the regional scholarships, on what basis do they select which regions to include?

Kirika

HSC
they go on postcodes, there are about seven regions i think. You are ineligible of you live in the ACT or live on or went to school in metropolitan sydney. after that they just go on how well you did at school.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Kirika said:
they go on postcodes, there are about seven regions i think. You are ineligible of you live in the ACT or live on or went to school in metropolitan sydney. after that they just go on how well you did at school.
But how do they justify the postcodes they decide are eligble for the scholarships? What is the reasoning behind it (besides being non-metropolitan)?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Kirika said:
i think its all in NSW besides sydney. they just split the state into regions. if you go to http://www.anu.edu.au/sas/scholarships/rural_regional.php it explains it all. they offer one to a VIC student which i guess is the one that sarahn got.
Well, my postcode is 2478, I live in ballina on the north coast, which is most definitely regional. This postcode is not listed. Why? Why? Why?

Kirika

HSC
is it in one of the between numbers? and it does say that if you think you shjould qualify but ur code isnt there then you should write to them. its probably worth explaining that it is regional and just as deserving as other places. i think they also do it coz people far away find it harder to get there, but ballina is proly a long way from ACT top right? if u think ur area deserves it, email them, they wont know that other places deserve it unless u tell them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)