Nationalist leaders - indochina (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Nationalist leaders are people like Ho Chi Minh, Diem, Norodom Sihanouk, Pol Pot (to some extent)... that's what we were told anyway. We had an assessment task on this where we had to write about 2 nationalist leaders.

poowee

Banned
Originally posted by natstar
yeah basically leaders who had 'nationalistic' views.
thanks man that really helps ur so good at exaplining stuff............. NOT.................

TastesGoodBut

ahh ok furry muff

yeh... i was just reading through possible questions and things and there was the one on nationalist leaders and i was like "etf... how am i meant to write alot on that

id prolly end up doing the other question anyway lol

Eeko

Banned
nationalist leaders

look at the leading figures in politics and military for all involved basically
so u got
pol pot
kennedy, LBJ, nixon, Ford and so on
u go Uncle Ho, General Giap
u got sihinoauk and those not so important guys

nationalist leaders is though i reckon
hope we dun get it

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
i hate to be a stickler but
"all the way with LBJ", kennedy and nixon aren't nationalist leaders, like the other people its the indochinese leaders, but who gives a toss, just answer the other question they give us.

2003HSC

Originally posted by Buggdogg
i hate to be a stickler but
"all the way with LBJ", kennedy and nixon aren't nationalist leaders, like the other people its the indochinese leaders, but who gives a toss, just answer the other question they give us.
are you sure? technically, they were leaders of a nation. The syllabus doesnt say nationalist leaders of indochina, even it seems to suggest that. ANyway, if a question asked about the role of nationalist leaders, I would have a whole lot more to wirte about if I could include the roles of US leaders.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think Soph rang the advice line and they said that the USA ones didn't count as nationalist leaders or something... soph??? I can't remember exactly.

s2ophie

HSC
yes thats what they told me. The US presidents don't count.

HSC
are you guys sure the us presidents do not count as nationalist leaders? i thought american nationalism was a motivation for us involvement? i mean, didn't nationalist motives form an important part of their foreign policy after WWII? i thought they saw involvement partly as important in defending themselves against the spread of evil communism, and partly as a nationalistic 'we're so great everyone should do what we say' approach to international affairs?
i'm probably wrong, but just want to be sure

Last edited:

eds

werent the nationalist leaders just like
ho chi minh and bao dai and diem ?
us presidents were just plain us presidents
=P

many people made the mistake of talkin about US presidents
in the catholic trial where it asked for nationalist leaders

bjMaxx

i had the nationalist leaders question in my trial and was marked correctly for including us presidents.
my teacher at first had his doubts, but later cam to the conclusion that nationalism was the motivation for their movement as the were attempting to stop the spread of communism and ensure that the united states remain free.
i think that as long as you presented that as an argument in your essay, you can not really be marked otherwise.

apollo

i got 30/30 in the trial for a question on nationalist leaders without mentioning a single us president... i talked about;

ngo dinh diem (refered to him as a "flawed nationalist" due to US puppetry, but a nationalist none the less)
uncle ho
giap
sihanouk
lon nol
soloth sar/pol pot

i really dont think that us presidents count. nationalist according to dictionary.com:

Devotion to the interests or culture of one's nation.
The belief that nations will benefit from acting independently rather than collectively, emphasizing national rather than international goals.
Aspirations for national independence in a country under foreign domination.

you might think US presidents are relevant... but in the context of conflict in indochina, they were not at all interested in national independence for their own countries, nor did they have any colonial/imperial influence to rid themselves of...

according to my teacher, a nationalist leader is one who thinks about his own country alone, and specifically seeks it's independence and to rid it of other countries imperial presence/colonial influence... us presidents may have been nationalists, but in the context of our studies, its hard to twist anything more than what bjmaxx did out of it. i would not waste more than 2-3 sentences on them.

:)

HSC
ok thanx guys, this forum's really helpful :)
hey apollo do u reckon i could swap the essays i've done (the importance of geneva to the development of the conflict to '64, the development of the conflict from 1960-73, and the impact of the war on indochina, the us and the world) for a copy of ur nationalist essay? it sounds mad and i'm kinda having trouble on that point

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)