• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

natural biopolymers (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
hey guys i know that cotton, wool and silk are biopolymers because they are produced by living things, but what about other stuff like linnen? or are those 3 the only natural biopolymers. if there are more could you tell me what they are?

thanks, this isnt for an assignment or anything, just iam curious cause whilst doing my assignment on biopolymers it made me think what else is a natural biopolymer

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Serius said:
hey guys i know that cotton, wool and silk are biopolymers because they are produced by living things, but what about other stuff like linnen? or are those 3 the only natural biopolymers. if there are more could you tell me what they are?

thanks, this isnt for an assignment or anything, just iam curious cause whilst doing my assignment on biopolymers it made me think what else is a natural biopolymer
Cotton, wool and silk are NOT biopolymers. They are mainly comprised of a biopolymer, though: cellulose.

A natural polymer is: Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA)

A synthetic semi-organic polymer is: Silicone (stuff they put in breast implants, bouncing putty, et cetera)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
thanks for the clarification slide rule, my textbook was pretty unclear about that point and silcone eh? i didnt know that one

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
No problem. I think another natural polymer is rubber (although an identical polymer can be man-made, it's origins are from the rubber tree).

EDIT: Oh, proteins are, too. And by the looks of it silk specifically is a polymer.

EDIT 2: Australian and New Zealand banknotes are made out of a polymer called 'polymer substrate'.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)