Nebuchanezzar's Signature... (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
I tend to believe it's all to do with revenge.
then why don't i get to stab you with impunity after you stab me? :)

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
then why don't i get to stab you with impunity after you stab me? :)
Bingo. If it was about revenge, we would not have abolished the death penalty.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
By no means do I agree with the idea that punishing for murder is revenge, and by no means am I pro-capital punishment, I despise both ideas. I do however think that the majority of people in Australia believe that a sentence for murder and rape is a way for the victims to gain vengence against those who did it. If not, why would people get so angry with these light sentences rapists get?

In other news, I was unable (regrettably) to make it to the lecutre by Michael Kirby. I ask those who went, how was it?

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Perhaps the main issue is intended to be deterrance, but as a POV from someone on the "outside" of law, I tend to believe it's all to do with revenge.
Is different to...

Nebuchanezzar said:
the majority of people in Australia believe that a sentence for murder and rape is a way for the victims to gain vengence against those who did it.
In the former post, your argument is with regard to the criminal justice system, specifically the judiciary. In the latter, you are referring to the general public.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
lol...Nebuchanezzar is obviously just another one of those university students who has developed an inferiority complex towards law students.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
The criminal justice system is supposed to be there on behalf of the people, is it not? Hence I fail to see why there would be a difference between the two (general public and judiciary), that would be a fundamental conflict of interest in exactly what the law is trying to do.

I do see how my posts may have been interpreted in that way. Let me summarise them for you, in an attempt to get you to understand.

My post(1) - The reason behind it (the sentences) is supposed to be deterrance, but in actual fact it's revenge. This revenge is handed down by the members of this "judiciary", on behalf of the opinion of the people.

My post(2) - The reason behind it (the sentences) is supposed to be deterrance, but in actual fact it's revenge. This revenge is handed down by the members of this "judiciary", on behalf of the opinion of the people.

The main idea being that I tend to believe that the law, judges and juries are all influenced by the feelings of the general public. That's not to say that I think a judge goes and looks at what the public thinks before sentencing, that's absurd. What I do think is that the pseudo-liberal society that we live in dictates that the death penalty is wrong, yet it also dictates that these people need to be punished for their actions. Judges are no different, thus I believe they also suscribe to that general point of view. I too (despite what I said), think that if someone murdered a family member of friend of mine, that I'd want revenge. I'd like to think that would be a reason for the sentencing of the criminal.

Matt - I wasn't aware that so many people didn't like law students, but if it is the case perhaps it's your egotisitcal attitude that gets law students in to that position.

jpr333

HSC
Some might say pharmacists are nothing but glorified salesmen for drug manufacturers. But i'm above the name calling... :p

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
jpr333 said:
Some might say pharmacists are nothing but glorified salesmen for drug manufacturers. But i'm above the name calling... :p
What are you on about? There is no mention of pharmacy in this thread...

matt#1 said:
lol...Nebuchanezzar is obviously just another one of those university students who has developed an inferiority complex towards law students.
I doubt it. It's not that hard to get into law these days with macq, uws, and UTS' liberal transfers.

Last edited:

jpr333

HSC
Meh I was just going off the antagonists sig, he seems adamant to attack something he isn't studying thought i'd just follow suit :p

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I agree. Getting into law is comparitively quite hard, whereas once you're there it's basket weaving.

<_<
>_>
<_<

Erm Pharmacology and Pharmacy are quite different things.....
Thankyou. And anyway, chances are I won't even be in that "game" (as David Cohen would say), I'd be teaching biology/chemistry.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
This thread has gone on long enough. There is nothing constructive going on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)