Need a focus for my HIP! (1 Viewer)

reeni24

HSC
Helloooo,

I've decided to something on the ancient Greek poet Homer but i really haven't decided on a question as such and i'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed with all the information, haha

i was thinking along the lines of perhapsss..
- Does Homer's famous epics hold any true historical validity?
- Homer: Historian or historical source?
- How have Homer's texts survived to be read today
- how have opinions on homer and his works changed over time - like an analysis

maybe something along those lines.. or perhaps simply the historiography of Homer / Homer's work..?
Alot of these ideas are probably stupid, any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

redox

HSC
Have you read any homer? Reading some of your ideas for questions - man, I can feel the blood rush from my head just thinking about the amount of research needed and number of sources involved.

Perhaps you could look into the differing translations of Homer, and their context, etc. His works have been translated throughout history many times, seems to me theres a good chance you might find something of interest, should you go down this path...

Or, maybe you could look at the authorship of the epics, points of contention about how they were produced in written form etc. Again, seems likely to be some historical debate here.

From your idea:
- Does Homer's famous epics hold any true historical validity?
You might be able to narrow that to say, the Illiad as a historical source on the Trojan war.

Bear in mind that if you are adamant on doing Homer, you can just hold these ideas in mind and start researching and reading, and hope you come to a more definite question along the way.

Hope I helped

reeni24

HSC
thanks alot!

those are good suggestions that i will follow up.

I did originally want to focus on the trojan war but my teacher says i cant because The Trojan War with reference to Homer's Iliad is a topic in the ancient history prelim. course which isn't even a subject i do anyway annoyingly enough!

i will continue though.. thankyou :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)