Need assistance in selecting engineering course! (1 Viewer)

metalslug

I have made the difficult choice of picking between courses and confined it down to one course but now im in a bit of a dilemma, due to the reason that I don’t know whether to pick CIVIL at UNSW or Usyd. i want to do structural and project management, however syd has a course for each, additionally a u need about 90 for both, but the mark is 80 and can choose both with electives, please some 1 give me feed back on the course at UNSW, and if u have any idea on career prospects that would be of great help.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I'm not sure if anyone here can give you advice on civil engineering - attend the open day this saturday and ask all the questions you want. :)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Asking question is important. Last year I was too busy watching robocup, and not asking a single question about what software eng is like.

Not saying that it's bad, it's not what i thought it'd be (cough*infs*cough)

Anyway, yeah. So I discovered what seng really is after i went in. I found pain to my liking though...

|Axis_

HSC
If you're going to do engineering, you might want to think about which uni has larger and better schools of mathematics and sciences. My (biased) opinion is that the bigger and better these departments are, the more disciplined the rest of the place is.

Actually, just go for the best Maths department. :p

asdf

HSC
underthesun said:
Asking question is important. Last year I was too busy watching robocup, and not asking a single question about what software eng is like.

Anyway, yeah. So I discovered what seng really is after i went in. I found pain to my liking though...
What are you going to transfer to, if you are?

metalslug

|Axis_ said:
If you're going to do engineering, you might want to think about which uni has larger and better schools of mathematics and sciences. My (biased) opinion is that the bigger and better these departments are, the more disciplined the rest of the place is.

Actually, just go for the best Maths department. :p
so ur saying i should go for UNSW? what would u pick?

laney

HSC
actually i think the maths department is better at Usyd. All their exams are so much harder too!

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
asdf said:
What are you going to transfer to, if you are?
Not really gonna transfer, but going to combine with commerce. Extra pain. Pain! More pain!

I hear that later seng gets better though, and since my current 1721 tutor says its' the best, i'll stick with it =)

|Axis_

HSC
metalslug said:
so ur saying i should go for UNSW? what would u pick?
I picked UNSW because, in my opinion, UNSW has a more active Maths school. Also, in deciding, it was important to me that UNSW doesn't just have one or two large faculties, but varieties of Commerce, Arts, Sciences, Engineering and Maths. It's also with ADFA (Australian Defence Force Academy) and NIDA. To me, larger schools and faculties mean that the school must be more disciplined and organised, because they have an obligation to a large body of students. (For example, in my high-school Economics was taught and assessed much more properly than, say, Software Design and Development). The diversity in terms of disciplines, and the activity of the uni and large maths school, to me, is important even though you might only be in one school of the uni - it means the uni is better as a whole. I place so much emphasis on Maths because, in my opinion, Maths underpins all areas of study except maybe Arts (ah - but if you read some philosophy books you'll realise how Maths can indeed be linked to philosophy!). I think Maths is so important (it's more than just numbers, you know!) that it is integral, and should even be primary study, in any science or engineering. I might get a whippin' for this, but my opinion is that in certain areas, there are not enough mathematically minded people, when there really should.

What also attracted me to UNSW is the environment - It's not fragmented - it's like one big school. Faculty-relationships are also important.

Lastly, I chose UNSW because I assumed that it's standards of teaching, assessment and grading are higher, or less lax. But this is all my opinion, and I hope I've just done a good job marketing UNSW! :p

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
underthesun said:

I gave you ample warning ....

underthesun said:
Not really gonna transfer, but going to combine with commerce. Extra pain. Pain! More pain!

I hear that later seng gets better though, and since my current 1721 tutor says its' the best, i'll stick with it =)
It DOES get better ...

Chris T

HSC
N/A

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
underthesun said:
at second year?does it get better at second year, or third year?

mattk said "it all comes together at the third year"
2nd year = less INFS, more choice. You can take one or two 3rd year subjects which get far more exciting.

3rd year = basically All up to you. SENG becomes code, not paper. It's all more excting, beacause you arn't learing languages, you are learning to actually program ...

KD

HSC
N/A
Syd Uni has lots of different courses like: Civil (structural) but they are basically Civil where you have to do the Structural electives. UNSW just has Civil and then lets you choose your electives (structural, project management/construction, water, geotechnical, transport) as you go along. I think you should just do a Civil degree and then choose when you know more about each of the areas. If you did Civil at UNSW and the structural electives I think you would actually do more structural than Civil (structural) at Sydney. You should check the syllabus for the courses at each Uni for yourself - they should be on the Net. Both unis have good reputations and employers won't care which course you do as they will just look at the electives that you have done. Besides there's a shortage of Civil Engineers at the moment so you'll definitely get a job anyway (assuming you don't fail too much).

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
I would recommend doing straight Civil engineering if you can, and then choosing your major...it seems a bit hard to pick what you want to major in before you start the degree. I know that i couldnt have picked what i wanted to major in before i started my degree. So it seems as though you would be better suited at UNSW, by majoring in structural and maybe doing some management subjects as electives if you can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)