• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Need detailed information about gateways please im desperate! (1 Viewer)

wandawoman

I need to know how network gateways work and i need it in detail and their advantages and disadvantages.

Its due this coming tuesday and i cant find anything on the internet or in the library.

Please help!!

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
gateways are devices that are used to connect two dissimilar networks together to allow data to be transferred between them.

when I say dissimilar i mean that they use different protocols to operate.

for example, connecting a LAN to the Internet would reuire a gateway.

the term gateway is not often used any more, router is now the prefered term.

gateways need to be compared to bridges. bridges connect networks that are similar, for example two bus networks or two token ring networks.

check out this link for more info: http://webopedia.com/TERM/g/gateway.html

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by grendel
the term gateway is not often used any more, router is now the prefered term.
i think you are VERY wrong there

gateway and router are two completely different things!

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
if what people have provided for you is still not enough i don't know what else can help you

maybe your looking into it too much

gateways is a very small portion or the HSC

wandawoman

well its a third of my assignment which is worth 25%, and it was all drawn out of the hat, and stupid unlucky me got the worst one out of all of them.

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
I will qualify my previous post. Routers can and commonly do act as gateways. For example, my schools LAN was connected to the Internet via a router. The IP address of the router was the gateway IP address for all of the workstations on the network.
When our school got broadband our gateway became a cable modem.
I got the following definitions for gateway and router from about.com. URLs are provided at the end.
Definition: A network gateway is an internetworking system, a system that joins two networks together. A network gateway can be implemented completely in software, completely in hardware, or as a combination of the two. Depending on their implementation, network gateways can operate at any level of the OSI model from application protocols to low-level signaling.
Because a network gateway by definition appears at the edge of a network, related functionality like firewalling tends to be installed on the network gateway.
Definition: A router is a physical device that joins multiple wired or wireless networks together. Technically, a wired or wireless router is a Layer 3 gateway, meaning that it connects networks (as gateways do), and that it operates at the network layer of the OSI model.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/routers/g/bldef_router.htm
http://compnetworking.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-gateway.htm?terms=routers+gateways+networking

From my reading and understanding, gateways are router capable devices.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
now i'm not going to go into a long debate with you on the difference between the two

there are a couple of things, yes i agree with you, glad you done the research to backup your answer :)

maybe a 'smart' router can be called similar to a gateway...
gateways are mainly an actual computer terminal....but router these days are just a box with network ports and flashy lights

if you were to say in the hsc that the gateway and router are the same thing, then you will be very wrong and the marker will most likely mark you wrong, remember that markers are not very intelligent! it is better to just use the definitions in the textbook rather than research from the internet for your hsc answers
different story if you are doing an assignment, you can provide as much information as you can!
when people ask questions on these forums, we tend to provide answers which can be used in the hsc.
your answer is great but to say that in the hsc, the marker will be like WTF?

i think you will have to look more into gateways if you can be bothered :)
gateways can do a lot more than what a router can....
it can support emails, security, encryption...etc etc....features which routers don't have
but some of the new technology these days have all been to compact everything into a single box....they just call it something...

hmmmm i'm just blabbling on about nothing, lol i've been studying too much economics and my mind is just wacked...

Freedom_Dragon

The 36th Dragon
HSC
N/A
i c wat grendel is saying

lol Grendels done the research for wandawoman.

I think that in the Exams, as long as u can justify your answer there is no reason for the markers to mark u wrong.

Grendal's answer could be used as an example/reinforcement for watever scenarios/discussions that may come up in the exam.

and obivously if u were given a simple question u'll give a simple answer.

Wat is a router? blahahah

Wat is a gateway? blahaha

Discuss the difference: a router is similar to a gateway....reason/eg...on the hand there is a slight diffence in that....difference/eg/reasons.... etc

Last edited:

wandawoman

haha yeah he has! thanks dude!

well i have another question...

where and how is email used?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)