Need guidance (1 Viewer)

RhythmKnight

HSC
Hi, I am currently studying in Year 11 and really need some guidance. First of all I'd like to introduce you to the subjects I am currently taking:
  • Advanced English
  • Extension 1 Maths
  • Advanced Maths
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Economics
  • Studies Of Religion 1u
Due to procrastination I have somewhat ruined my learning in Year 11. I have been failing my math course due to lack of practice and steadily passing other subjects but not doing the best I can do. It is already TERM 3 Week 2 and I am sure the serious students are well and ahead studying the Year 12 courses. Do you think it is possible for me to catch up on the work I missed out? In trying to catch up on work, how many hours per day I should study(weekdays and weekend). Please share me your experience if you were in the same position as me in Year 11 and had to work hard to get a very good result. It should motivate me or to the very least give me hope. Please give me as many study tips as you can.
My minimum ATAR Goal is 95.00, so I will have to change myself.
My prelims are in 6 weeks so I will try to get A's in all the subjects, if possible.
Thanks
Hope you have a good day.

Godard

HSC
There is definitely enough time to catch up and still do well in your Year 12 studies if you start working hard and put in the effort. While it is good to get into the habit of developing effective study strategies in Year 11 (as a practice for HSC), luckily your Year 11 results should not affect your Year 12 too much. Many Year 12 subjects do not rely too heavily on Year 11 content (except maths and science).

You have 6 weeks for prelims which should be more than enough if you set out a study schedule. I would prioritise studying the subjects which are more content-heavy first, just trying to understand the main concepts (e.g. eco, SOR) of these subjects. For your maths and science subjects, doing practice questions daily would be a good way to revise as these subjects are more about becoming familiar with the methods of finding the answer.

In terms of how many hours a day to study, on weekdays (since you are probably already tired from school), 2-3 hours would be sufficient but make sure you are not overexerting yourself. Weekends, I'd say aim for around 4-5 hours but ensure you have time relax as well.

I can tell you that many, many people do struggle in Year 11 and find it impossible to keep up, but if you radically change how you approach studying and learning, you can definitely make a difference. Year 12 can be a year of tough work, but you do have to focus on your goal (why am I doing this? To get into my dream uni, etc).

Good luck and if you put in the effort, I'm sure it'll pay off in the end! :)

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you should keep in mind that studying is not about hitting a target of "x" hours a week - it's about learning the content.

Everyone is different in this regard - for example it might take somebody a week to understand a chemistry topic but they might get the hang of a maths topic in a few days, and somebody else might learn it in just one period - so instead of worrying about how long you study, you should instead try to work towards knowing each topic thoroughly - which is not as easy to measure but ultimately is a more efficient use of your time.

And don't worry about others learning ahead because (as long as your teachers do their jobs) everyone will be taught the same content before exams and you can still get marks that are just as good as (or even better than) your peers without going ahead. Just don't stay too far behind.

It's definitely possible for you to catch up. You have two months before your exams and the HSC is still more than a year away.

If your desired uni course has a 95 ATAR cutoff consider if you can get any bonus points or "adjustment factors" that might lighten the load.

Last edited:

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Have a plan to stop procrastinating and begin implementing it now. Stay focused and you'll be fine. Tell yourself "just another day" and you may not hit your goal.

I didn't bomb Year 11, i bombed the first term of Year 12 and still completely turned it around.

If you want a personal tip remember these words: "You have full control of your body. Despite where your mind may wander, your thoughts do not control your body. You choose what your arms and legs do and if they listen to your convincing yet useless excuses and compromises. As you are in control, your HSC from now is completely dependant on you."

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)