need help figuring out an option- post-grad med (1 Viewer)

zizi2003_

HSC
I'm aiming to do post-grad Med and have the following options, would appreciate some advice:

1. Undergraduate psychology at MQ (honours) or USyd (takes 4 years for both unis) --> GAMSAT --> med

I actually prefer this option - BUT psychology takes 4 years and to add another 4 years of post-grad medicine - I'd have to study 8 years+ to pursue a career in med. While this option is time-consuming, it's also more safe because in case I don't pass the GAMSAT, I can still pursue a career in Psychology. (unlike doing a random science course, after which I can't really have a proper career besides anything research-related which I don't want)

2. Undergraduate course (a science course at MQ or USyd which preps me for GAMSAT, but has no career options after) --> GAMSAT --> med
With this option, it'd take me max 2-3 years to do the undergraduate science course which would also prepare me for GAMSAT and is thus safe in doing so. But then doing a random science course means that I won't really have proper career options (besides research, which as I previously mentioned, I don't really want). This option was also advised against by my career adviser at school, but I figured it is less time-consuming than the first option.

SO basically - the first option is time consuming BUT less risky (since I will still have psychology as a career pathway in case I don't pass gamsat) - whereas the second option is less time-consuming BUT very risky (in case I don't pass the GAMSAT and have to do some random job in research).

What option would you guys suggest? any help would be appreciated

Epicman69

HSC
I am pretty sure there is the non-standard entry for some med schools i.e WSU, UNSW, JMP, and some interstate schools, where you are able to apply during your uni degree provided you maintain a competitive GPA as well as getting a 90%+ UCAT score (usually much higher). If you aren't able to get a non-standard entry, I'd suggest the first option as a position for med school is never guaranteed and option 1 won't leave you without proper career options as you mentioned.

Though do take my advice with a grain of salt as I am still in high school, but I too want to pursue medicine so I've done quite a bit of research on the possible pathways. There is also a Medicine specific forum like Bored of Studies called Med Students Online, which I'd suggest you take a look at since there are many others on there in the same situation as you.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say do option 1, it seems like you've got somewhat of an interest in psych and healthcare if that's what you're doing as your undergrad. You might find out you enjoy psych more than you think and might end up forgetting about the med degree, just going ahead with the psych degree.

icycledough

HSC
I'm aiming to do post-grad Med and have the following options, would appreciate some advice:

1. Undergraduate psychology at MQ (honours) or USyd (takes 4 years for both unis) --> GAMSAT --> med

I actually prefer this option - BUT psychology takes 4 years and to add another 4 years of post-grad medicine - I'd have to study 8 years+ to pursue a career in med. While this option is time-consuming, it's also more safe because in case I don't pass the GAMSAT, I can still pursue a career in Psychology. (unlike doing a random science course, after which I can't really have a proper career besides anything research-related which I don't want)

2. Undergraduate course (a science course at MQ or USyd which preps me for GAMSAT, but has no career options after) --> GAMSAT --> med
With this option, it'd take me max 2-3 years to do the undergraduate science course which would also prepare me for GAMSAT and is thus safe in doing so. But then doing a random science course means that I won't really have proper career options (besides research, which as I previously mentioned, I don't really want). This option was also advised against by my career adviser at school, but I figured it is less time-consuming than the first option.

SO basically - the first option is time consuming BUT less risky (since I will still have psychology as a career pathway in case I don't pass gamsat) - whereas the second option is less time-consuming BUT very risky (in case I don't pass the GAMSAT and have to do some random job in research).

I'm in a similar position to you, where I didn't get into medicine through Year 12, and so am trying again this year as a first year uni student. I'm currently doing a Business degree while also trying to get into med. Personally, I believe this is the better option than doing a so-called 'med science' or 'health science' degree, as there is no back-up options with those. So if I am able to get into medicine for 2022, then all's well good. However, if I don't manage to get in, then doing a business degree will at least provide me a pathway to get a career in business, rather than a medicine pathway course, where there aren't any feasible career options after graduation. Thus, I would definitely stay with the psychology path. Also, with reference to time, considering how long the entire process for med is (5-6 years of UG, followed by a year of internship, followed by a few other steps. So roughly, the entire process will take around 10 years (give or take a few, depending on where you want your career to be). Thus, an extra few years won't affect you that much (potentially apart from having to pay off university fees).

dasfas

HSC
I'm in a similar position to you, where I didn't get into medicine through Year 12, and so am trying again this year as a first year uni student. I'm currently doing a Business degree while also trying to get into med. Personally, I believe this is the better option than doing a so-called 'med science' or 'health science' degree, as there is no back-up options with those. So if I am able to get into medicine for 2022, then all's well good. However, if I don't manage to get in, then doing a business degree will at least provide me a pathway to get a career in business, rather than a medicine pathway course, where there aren't any feasible career options after graduation. Thus, I would definitely stay with the psychology path. Also, with reference to time, considering how long the entire process for med is (5-6 years of UG, followed by a year of internship, followed by a few other steps. So roughly, the entire process will take around 10 years (give or take a few, depending on where you want your career to be). Thus, an extra few years won't affect you that much (potentially apart from having to pay off university fees).
Good plan, glad you realised the scam that is medical science. The extra years are not insignificant - you will likely be in your late 20s when you start your postgrad training, which is also when people start to think about settling down and having kids. However, in the broad scheme of things, you do not lose out on much. Additionally, I am a strong believer that the cohort is improved by the diversity of its students, with academic background being one part of the equation

Psychology is tough, so it definitely is not an easy ride as it is brutally competitive to become a clinical psychologist.

If you are not interested in basic science research and passionate about psych, it may be a better option.

However, research is inevitable in STEM - you need to do honours if you want to do clinical psychology, and you will need to do research again for medical school to be competitive for postgraduate training.

With a bachelors in psychology, at USYD, you can do a minor in STEM. I highly recommend using this to do med prereqs such as Chem 1a, Chem 1b, Biochem (super important), Physics 1, Biology (ideally with some anatomy + physiology as well, for example BIOL1008 at USYD). This will make studying for the GAMSAT much much easier, especially for section III. I also recommend taking up some humanities essay writing courses for section II.

Good luck

Last edited:

icycledough

HSC
Good plan, glad you realised the scam that is medical science. The extra years are not insignificant - as you will likely be in your 30s when you start your postgrad training, which is also when people start settling down and having kids. However, in the broad scheme of things, you do not lose out on much and I am a strong believer that the cohort is improved by the diversity of its students, with academic background being one part of the equation
Exactly what I was thinking as well. Also considering that you will be working until retirement (maybe as you get closer to retirement, you may want to cut down the hours you work for), that's still 40+ years of working and constantly learning, so taking a few years of that is practically nothing when you think further about it.

dasfas

HSC

Attachments

Greninja340

HSC

If you are thinking of doing medicine check out medstudentsonline, its basically like BoS but geared towards medicine, check this link out, and check out pitfall #2 i think it is relevant to your situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)