need help fixing my topic! (1 Viewer)

emo_chick

HSC
i found a topic i like and have found a lot of very useful info. My topic is Hiroshima and my question: Was it necessary to bomb Hiroshima (to end the war)?

Problem is that it's on the modern history syllabus. I still want to do this topic or something along the lines of it if not maybe something from the 1920s onwards. My teacher is helping via email but i need help asap

I'm going to the library on monday with a few friends and need my topic/question by then.
Any suggestions??

Last edited:

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
you're dealing with a highly subjective concept.
if you could find concrete evidence both ways, then you may be onto something.
look up 'the fog of war' which is a documentary about Robert McNamara and American Policy between the 1920's and the 1960's, more or less.
It should be in most video stores, even my Video Ezy has it.
He talks a lot about a man he served under during WW2.
They were basically in command of the firebombing raids on SOOO many Japanese cities.
Given the way that Japanese people built their houses, its not hard to see that we're looking at mass burnies.
They did this ALL OVER JAPAN. 99% of some cities were reduced to ashes and rubble. McNamara wasnt in favour of the bomb, but at the time it was feared that if they did not win the war (and sharpish) then McNamara and his commanding officer would be up in front of the war crimes tribunal. That was their greatest fear.
At any rate, McNamara says it better. Watch the doco, and learn.

You know where the rep button is, righT?

veridis

droog
HSC
while the development and use of the bomb is in the sylabus if you focus on japans recovery from it or how it changed societies attitudes towards war or something like that you could still do it.
basicly if you wanna do the bomb avoid pre-hiroshima or its use(ok so it wasnt used literaly but its role as a deterrant counts as a use) in the cold war and you're fine

emo_chick

HSC
Thank you sooo much!
I have found evidence for both ways..but seeing as my extension history teacher is the modern history teacher..I'm taking her word for eveything. I'm waiting for her to reply because she told me I can't do this topic and I think she's trying to find a way around it.

Before this one I was going to do the Exodus, and I don't think I want to do it anymore. So if Hiroshima doesn't work for me than it's back to the Exodus!
Thanx again

emo_chick

HSC
veridis said:
while the development and use of the bomb is in the sylabus if you focus on japans recovery from it or how it changed societies attitudes towards war or something like that you could still do it.
basicly if you wanna do the bomb avoid pre-hiroshima or its use(ok so it wasnt used literaly but its role as a deterrant counts as a use) in the cold war and you're fine
Thanx. It never occured to me to focus on its after effects and the societies and stuff! Thank you sooo much! I've read some of your other comments to other people and you're very useful.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
so am i. :p
rep me! now.
please?
:)

emo_chick

HSC
tWiStEdD said:
so am i. :p
rep me! now.
please?
:)
hey..yeh you are too. Whenever i browse through the forums you have a lot of answers. what are you doing for your major topic? (if you don't mind me asking)

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
i answered the question "What is totalitarianism and how does it affect how we view the past?" or something like that.
Class of '04 ;)
If u want someone to go over your major work, email it to me at twistedd_@hotmail.com and i'll be sure to look over it and make HEAPS of corrections ;) as i always do.

emo_chick

HSC
tWiStEdD said:
i answered the question "What is totalitarianism and how does it affect how we view the past?" or something like that.
Class of '04 ;)
If u want someone to go over your major work, email it to me at twistedd_@hotmail.com and i'll be sure to look over it and make HEAPS of corrections ;) as i always do.
thank you brain *bows down* =)

katee p

Help!

hey..on the topics of ext topics...IM STUCK!!! our proposal is due 2nd week back n i have no idea where to start... im pretty sure im goin for the topic of the new west history on the american frontier...how new theories have been brought forward about westward expansion that place new importance on the events that happened....but i dnt noe where to go from here...im not all that confident with the topic...i get it..but yea..i jus dnt noe wat type of question i could set for it

ne suggestions??
thanks!

emo_chick

HSC
katee p said:
hey..on the topics of ext topics...IM STUCK!!! our proposal is due 2nd week back n i have no idea where to start... im pretty sure im goin for the topic of the new west history on the american frontier...how new theories have been brought forward about westward expansion that place new importance on the events that happened....but i dnt noe where to go from here...im not all that confident with the topic...i get it..but yea..i jus dnt noe wat type of question i could set for it

ne suggestions??
thanks!
if you dont feel confident i suggest you change it asap b4 its too late. trust me i know..i wasted so much time on a topic i didnt feel comfortable with and now im still kinda stuck for a topic. you mentioned how new "theories" have been brought forward...my teacher recommended not to focus our topic around theories as it is uncertainties.
Go to Fisher Library @ Sydney Uni. They have great books there for history, and I'm sure you'll find some info that are useful and relevent..although it is very time consuming

veridis

droog
HSC
just try and get a take on the issue that allows you to critique differing views on the topic. so maybe use a cliche like "the wild west" or "cowboys and indians" in the title then go on to contrast the romanticised view with modern theories. just remember this is essentialy a big fat usefulness and reliability question with some more complex stuff over the top so just assess and compare different sources
if you realy dont feel comfortable with the topic however do what emo says and find something you know more about or have the motivation to find out more about

HSC
I want to do something contemporary like pop culture in the 1960s/70s or the protest to the vietnam war

Plebeian

Trippendicular said:
I want to do something contemporary like pop culture in the 1960s/70s or the protest to the vietnam war
If you're doing pop-culture, just make sure it stays historiographical ... you need to quote historians, not just writers imo.

emo_chick

HSC
Trippendicular said:
hey..i wanted to do something on pop culture too! something in the 1960s/1970s..its such a broad topic though and there's soo much. what in particular did you want to do for the protest in the vietnam war..because the protests' held and the war was studied quite in detail in yr 10.

well once again i have changed my mind and decided to do the first moon landing. is that a good idea?

HSC
My uncle was one of the first conscientious objectors arrested during the Vietnam War. There was a photo of him in one of the sources for the 2003 School Certificate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)