Need help for getting into dentistry (1 Viewer)

boredofhsc12

HSC
I've always been super passionate about dentistry and don't think i'll get the ATAR+ UMAT required to get into any course because with what ive seen of 98+ ATAR requirements and extremely high UMAT percentile requirements its almost impossible for be to get in.

Despite this, I dont want to give up on my dream of being a dentist and was wondering about the post-graduate options and what degree would give me a head start on the road to becoming a dentist because even USYD doesn't recommend BOH for progressing into dentistry.
Yea so any help wouldbe appreciated as i will do whatever it takes to get into dentistry no matter how long it'll take

MSPTeam

HSC
N/A
Apply to JCU

and in the meantime focus on doing an undergrad you will enjoy, then prep for GAMSAT and UMAT every-year if they take non-schoool leavers and just keep applying and you will get in

A1P

HSC
One possible path is do first year of any degree that suits you, stack the year with units that you are strong with, score all HDs for GPA 7 and apply to Griffith Dent (so far GPA 7 is practically assured of a place). Its last 2 Master years of the 3+2 course is full fee totaling ~$120k but you can use a Fee-Help loan and pay it back with your future income.

sleekgeek

HSC
undergrad - JCU/CSU
post grad - Do any undergrad, doing 1st year uni sciences helps e.g. bio/chem/physiology --> sit GAMSAT, practice essays --> get into USYD, UMelb, etc.

My undergrad was computer science and I barely passed GAMSAT using past acer tests.

Nikolerak

HSC
Look into Premedicine at UOW (3 year undergraduate degree). Early admission open until 14/08.

quickoats

HSC
Look into Premedicine at UOW (3 year undergraduate degree). Early admission open until 14/08.
Please be wary of "pre-med" or "clinical science" degrees as they don't exactly lead into any field of work. They are usually vague as they cover a wide range of subjects (a bit of chem, phys, anatomy, plus some ~communication and ethics~) in not much detail for the sole purpose of preparing one for graduate entry medicine. Even "medical science" is a more 'job ready' degree as it focuses on the human sciences at a further level which lends itself to research roles.

Also UOW advertises that their pre-med degree can be used as a stepping stone into "podiatry, physiotherapy, and pharmacy" which can all be entered with an atar lower than the UOW cutoff for pre-med (95). All those allied health degrees offer the same opportunity to learn about the health sciences in addition to clinical practice, AND are still eligible for graduate entry medicine, and somewhat 'guarantee' a job (you have vocational training and registration with AHPRA).

spicycorn

HSC
Please be wary of "pre-med" or "clinical science" degrees as they don't exactly lead into any field of work. They are usually vague as they cover a wide range of subjects (a bit of chem, phys, anatomy, plus some ~communication and ethics~) in not much detail for the sole purpose of preparing one for graduate entry medicine. Even "medical science" is a more 'job ready' degree as it focuses on the human sciences at a further level which lends itself to research roles.

Also UOW advertises that their pre-med degree can be used as a stepping stone into "podiatry, physiotherapy, and pharmacy" which can all be entered with an atar lower than the UOW cutoff for pre-med (95). All those allied health degrees offer the same opportunity to learn about the health sciences in addition to clinical practice, AND are still eligible for graduate entry medicine, and somewhat 'guarantee' a job (you have vocational training and registration with AHPRA).
yep I did clinical science and didn’t end up wanting to go into med or dentistry, and you can’t really get a good job anywhere since you didn’t study anything specific. Med sci with a major biochemistry or micro will at least help you get a job in a lab or somewhere else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)