Need Help For Pip Topic! (1 Viewer)

goki

heyyy people.
okay i really dont know how to use this forum thing, but ill try my best!
well.. for my pip, ive come up with a few topic areas, here are some:
1. the role of beauty in a girls self esteem but then like.. its way too broad and i have no idea to narrow the 'focus' *shrugs
2. sex and adolescents in society today. one of my friends actually came up with this and its a good idea, bcos u can relate it to many s+c concepts like time, gender and even to the media and maybe rites of passage?? *shrugs.
i dont know.. need help!! =/
does everyone know what their doin for their pips yet? my pip proposal is dued soon and i have no idea what to do!!

hscfreak

HSC
Don't worry if you don't know what you want to do yet. You still have like a year. I changed my topic 3 times and didn't know what i wanted to do until about February or March this year.

michelleanne

HSC
Hi!

I did SOC a couple of years ago, so I know how frustrating it can be to find a PIP topic.

Your ideas are good but too broard and probably done to death by other students. Its not a good idea to make markers mark your PIP knowing probably they have marked something similar before.

Your second idea is on the right track but you could narrow it down. I have a few suggestions.

You could do:

"Question: The Portryal, depiction and promotion of sexuality in Australia during the twentieth century and beyond"

In this question u could do a number of things:

With this you could focus on women, men or both.

Sexuality is quite broad too so you can focus on just about anything that related to sexuality.

You could do a content analysis of magazines and movies of the last 100 years and observe any changes hat have occurred, especially in the promotion of female sexuality. This is easy, all u have to compare is a teenage magazine today and one from 50yrs ago. Or even movies, An American Pie (keep in mind this is american though)comparision to another film is the 40's-50's will also be good. Also, the promotion of sexuality is usually inline with societal morals and whether its a taboo subject area or not. How is sexuality depicted?.

Also, why they have occurred? The changing of government laws and policies also influences the promotion of sexuality. Ie. Sex education in schools and the introduction of contraception for women in the 1970's promoted sexual freedom for many women.

You could also run a focus group with women ranging from adolsccents, women in their 20's, 40's, 60's and even 80's and discuss the idea of how the promotion and portrayal of sex throughout their lifetime, what have been the different changes, what do they think etc.

You could also compare two differnt cohorts (groups) such as adolscents today and adolscents 50 years ago- case studies are good for this.

Hope these ideas help!!

A number of SOC concepts such as time, gender, media, and cross cultural aspects will be used.

I will offer any other suggestions if I think of any.

Last edited:

michelleanne

HSC
Just to let everyone know that if you are thinking of doing a PIP on Sex and adolescents there is a segment on this issue on a t.v program tomorrow:

Show: Today Tonight- Channel 7
Date: Wednesday 17th November 2004
Time: 6:30pm or check local guides.

It would be a great idea to see this segment and also tape it and it could provide you with some ideas for your PIP or narrow down the issues or your own topic.

Hope I have been of some assistance..................

Last edited:
J

jhakka

I love how Year 12s start panicking at this time of the year. I suppose they're all grasping for topics because of the Proposal assessment.

HSC
i'm not panicing... but i hate how all u ex hsc students oversimpilise these things AFTER YOU have already done them!! :mad:

mishka

HSC
N/A
you're probably finding that most of us are just glad it's over, we do understand what you're going through... most of us were exactly the same when we started our PIPs.

by the way, michelleanne, great suggestions! :)

J

jhakka

something_funny said:
i'm not panicing... but i hate how all u ex hsc students oversimpilise these things AFTER YOU have already done them!! :mad:
I only chuckle because I was in the same position. After a term or so you don't care so much.

goki

thanks for the ideas people. and to those people who already did the PIP from last year, congrats. i envy you! haha. that's how i will be too in about a yrs time. *yay!* i can't wait. but until then, im going to have to complete my PIP. *sighs
oh wells.

anyways, ive decided to do the adolescents and sex one, where i will be focusing on how the media influences adolescents perceptions of sex and stuff. but i need a catchy title. any ideas? my pip proposal is due tomorrow, uh oh =/

HSC
hey, i had a similar idea , maybe you can try to explore the area of how virginity is depicted and its improtance in different cultures in australia...(i was going to do this, but...i sticked to the original) :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)