Need help from law/economics students : ) (1 Viewer)

bikapika

HSC
So generally speaking im gona start my combined law and economics degree this year : )

Just s few quick questions:

1.) Do they teach law in seminar method or lecture+tuturial method?
2.) Say if im aiming to for a credit/distinction average, how many hours will you need to study per week for each law course? including lectures and everything?
3.) Law is a lot of reading for sure. So how many pages do we expect to read per week per course?
4.)How many hours will you spend on each economics/commerce course?

thx guys im so excited about next month : )

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
bikapika said:
4.)How many hours will you spend on each economics/commerce course?
what econ/commerce course specifically?

if you are choosing BUSN1001 (which you will have to), i advise you to do it in the second semester. the first semester has a pretty crappy lecturer as opposed to the second semester which the lecturer is actually pretty good.

bikapika

HSC
jas0nt said:
what econ/commerce course specifically?

if you are choosing BUSN1001 (which you will have to), i advise you to do it in the second semester. the first semester has a pretty crappy lecturer as opposed to the second semester which the lecturer is actually pretty good.
for the first semester i will be doing quantitative research method and microeconomics 1. for the first year i dont think im doing busn1001 anyway since i want to keep my options open between econ and commerce in which i still have no idea about which one to focus on.

bikapika

HSC
i will be doing all the usual law courses with macro and microeconomics, quantitative method, models for finance and economics and introduction to phycology or marketing

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
BUSN1001 is a mandatory course for all kids in the commerce faculty.

seriously STAT1008 is a piss easy course. i put in barely any effort at all (although i did attend 90% of lectures/tutes) and probably put in 4 solid days of studying for the final (there's no mid sem) and i gotten a raw mark of 82%. the assignments are a piss and they're worth 30% all together.

micro i suggest you buy the text book once you know what it is and just read through it from chapter 1 onwards. it's a really nice text book to read and it tries making any student who hasn't done econ before get into "thinking like an economist" and there's a truckload of real life examples.

EMET i haven't done yet but my mate who attended 20% of the lectures got a HD in it. mind you his math background is rock solid.

Last edited:

bikapika

HSC
jas0nt said:
BUSN1001 is a mandatory course for all kids in the commerce faculty.

seriously STAT1008 is a piss easy course. i put in barely any effort at all (although i did attend 90% of lectures/tutes) and probably put in 4 solid days of studying for the final (there's no mid sem) and i gotten a raw mark of 82%. the assignments are a piss and they're worth 30% all together.

micro i suggest you buy the text book once you know what it is and just read through it from chapter 1 onwards. it's a really nice text book to read and it tries making any student who hasn't done econ before get into "thinking like an economist" and there's a truckload of real life examples.

EMET i haven't done yet but my mate who attended 20% of the lectures got a HD in it. mind you his math background is rock solid.
wow thx for the advice mate : )
ive done 4units maths with e3 and 3units maths with e4 hopefully i can cope with stat1008

ive done high school economics with b6 as well so maybe i will have an enjoyable first semester lol

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
bikapika said:
wow thx for the advice mate : )
ive done 4units maths with e3 and 3units maths with e4 hopefully i can cope with stat1008

ive done high school economics with b6 as well so maybe i will have an enjoyable first semester lol
if you know how to use your calc (i.e. plugging in an ultra long formula in involving square roots/fractions etc) without screwing it up, you're in good stead.

bikapika

HSC
lol thats challenging, seriously you dont really use calculator a lot in extension maths

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
1) Law is taught in lectures and tutorials. Some courses such as legal theory and foundations have seminars instead of tutorials. Generally the seminars and tutorials have around 20 people in them.

2) A credit won't be hard for you to get but bringing yourself up to a distinction is actually pretty difficult because of the bell curve (after HDs which go to the top 5% of students only the next top 10% of students in a given course will receive Ds). The amount of work you'll need to do will obviously depend upon your own ability but as long as you do your reading you should keep up and do reasonably well.

3) It really depends on the course. Most courses will get you to read alot of cases but as you become more experienced you'll figure out which of those aren't worth reading (and generally alot won't be). I'd say around 50 pages per week for a first year.

TBH worry about eco more than law. ANU may have the best economics faculty in the country but unfortunately lecturers think that to 'maintain standards' they need to fail people willy nilly. A girl told me that in her micro 2 lecture the lecturer told her to 'look right and then left' and then said that one of the people everyone looked at would fail the course.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
neo o said:
the bell curve (after HDs which go to the top 5% of students only the next top 10% of students in a given course will receive Ds).
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this merely an emperical observation? almost all of my courses involved no scaling - the final mark was equivalent to each of my raw marks collaborated... meaning a course can have a higher or lower amount of people scoring D's/HD's.

A girl told me that in her micro 2 lecture the lecturer told her to 'look right and then left' and then said that one of the people everyone looked at would fail the course.
likewise with our micro 1 lecturer but she was only joking. statistically 15% of people fail macro 1... and these are the guys who either didn't quit the course correctly so they are still listed as a statistic, or those who attend absolutely zero lectures/tutes and rock up to the exams with a few hours preparation.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
jas0nt said:
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this merely an emperical observation? almost all of my courses involved no scaling - the final mark was equivalent to each of my raw marks collaborated... meaning a course can have a higher or lower amount of people scoring D's/HD's.
no, law subjects are actually graded according to a bell curve, unlike other subjects, which are graded on whether you're right or wrong.

bikapika

HSC
humphdogg said:
no, law subjects are actually graded according to a bell curve, unlike other subjects, which are graded on whether you're right or wrong.
thx for all the info guys : )
so 50pages per week for each course is it? if i do 2 courses, then i have to read 100pages lol thats a lot of hard work

im confident about economics its my favour subject at high school

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
bikapika said:
thx for all the info guys : )
so 50pages per week for each course is it? if i do 2 courses, then i have to read 100pages lol thats a lot of hard work

im confident about economics its my favour subject at high school
As long as you're somewhat discerning, you'll read 50 per week not per course :).

And jas0nt, law subjects are scaled and the bell curve statistics are reproduced in the Law Handbook published by the faculty. From the 2007 Law Handbook http://law.anu.edu.au/Publications/llb/2007/LLBHandbook2007.pdf:

In light of those considerations, the final assessment results for students in each course (except Honours Thesis and Law Internship) should normally conform to the following guidelines:
High Distinction (80% +)
2–5% of candidates
Distinction (70–79%)
10–20% of candidates
Credit (60–69%)
30–50% of candidates

bikapika

HSC
neo o said:
As long as you're somewhat discerning, you'll read 50 per week not per course :).

And jas0nt, law subjects are scaled and the bell curve statistics are reproduced in the Law Handbook published by the faculty. From the 2007 Law Handbook http://law.anu.edu.au/Publications/llb/2007/LLBHandbook2007.pdf:
lol i hope i am : ) so 50pages for law per week, acceptable amount of work : )

Evilo

HSC
bikapika said:
lol i hope i am : ) so 50pages for law per week, acceptable amount of work : )
I do geology, if i actually did all the readings it would be 50 or more pages a week :p

rumour

HSC
neo o said:
A girl told me that in her micro 2 lecture the lecturer told her to 'look right and then left' and then said that one of the people everyone looked at would fail the course.
Paul Chen said that?

He is probably one of the fairer markers in the faculty, the economic history lecturers are the worst.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
rumour said:
Paul Chen said that?

He is probably one of the fairer markers in the faculty, the economic history lecturers are the worst.
i hope i get paul chen for micro 2 this year, heard he's a legend :uhhuh:

not that lecturers mark economics papers themselves personally but either way.

rumour

HSC
I thought he took it every year?
Paul Chen is a pretty good lecturer, he needs to teach more subjects..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)