NEED HELP once again (1 Viewer)

mkv_86

HSC
'Outline the chemical and physical processes involved in the production of ONE of the following from a natural raw material'
(I chose polyethylene bottle):
Include relevant chemical equations in your answer. (6 marks)

My answer:
Harvesting sugar canes:
Sugar canes are solid raw materials from where glucose can be extracted, through crushing which increases the surface area for the process of fermentation.

Fermentation of glucose:
Fermentation is an exothermic process in which glucose is broken down to ethanol and carbon dioxide by the action of enzymes present in yeast. The yeast secretes enzymes, each of which catalyses a specific step in the fermentation reaction sequence. Sucrase enzymes in yeast catalyses the break down of sucrose into glucose and/or fructose, then zymase enzymes catalyses the breakdown of glucose into ethanol and carbon dioxide:
•*(chemical reaction)
• (chemical reaction)
Yeast can produce ethanol concentrations of up to 15% ethanol. At these concentrations, yeast cells die and fermentation stops. Fractional distillation is then used to obtain 95% ethanol. In order to obtain 100% ethanol, more complex distillation is required due to the strong hydrogen bonding between ethanol and water.

Dehydration of Ethanol:
Ethanol can be dehydrated to give ethene by heating it with an excess of concentrated H2SO4 at about 170˚. A strong catalyst is required as the hydroxyl functional group (-OH) is bonded relatively strongly to the CH3CH2 chain. As such, a catalyst provides an alternative pathway which lowers activation energy for the reaction to occur.
(structural equation)

Production of polyethylene
Initiation:
An organic peroxide is heated to produce free radicals. The free radicals open out a double bond in an ethylene monomer and forms an ethene radical.
(structural equations)

Propagation:
The ethene radical opens out the double bond in a neighbouring ethene to create a dimer radical. The opening out of bonds and joining continues to produce an ever-increasing chain length
(structural equation)

Termination:
Long radicals meet and bond to form a non-activated polymer (polyethylene). Since these process relies on random molecular collisions, chain lengths and thus molecular weights vary. An inhibitor is added to halt the formation of free radicals so that size/molecular weight of polymer chains can be regulated.
(structural equation)

LDPE:
If these polymer chains are regulated where there is an extensive chain-branching, then LDPE can be produced, because of this property as well as the lack of chain-stiffening side groups and cross-linking. Due to the dispersion forces between the long chains of polymers of the C and H atoms, it is relatively soft and very flexible with a fairly low melting point. These properties thus make it suited for making squeeze bottles in both the laboratory and the home.

Any feedback?

Much thanks

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
You have quite a bit of irrelevant info and I wouldn't go down the route of sugar canes to ethene (as this is used industrially to produce ethanol). Because in the syllabus there is a clear dot point that talks about ethene coming from the cracking of some of the fractions from the fractional distillation of crude oil, so its a little bit risky doing what you did (HSC markers can be weird with that sort of stuff although ur explanations for that stuff are good - so continue that sort of work in the ethanol production dot point)

The actual addition polymerisation part is good though. The last paragraph is irrelevant to the actual question since it's asking how its made and not how its used (so might waste some time for you in an exam, although you probably won't lose marks for it). the last bit you could have just wrote in one sentence: The polyethylene formed is LDPE in small pellets usually and this is melted into a mould of a plastic bottle and allowed to cool and set.

Lastly, since the question stated outline the chemical and physical processes. I would recommend in brackets to each step that you write if it is chemical or physical.

This response I've attached below would be better (addresses the crude oil to ethene)

The way I would mark this question in my tutoring classes would be:

1 mark - prior steps (described in the answer below)

1 mark - identifying the conditions (temp, pressure, initiator)

1 mark - correctly identifying the names of steps (initiation, activation (this is like a branch step of initiation so yeah you don't have to mention it), propagation, termination)

1 mark - a decent description of each step (meaning using like key scientific terms such as the name of the initiator)

1 mark - structural diagrams

1 mark - stating that the plastic pellets are melted into a mould of a bottle and allowed to cool and set into shape. Also, identifying at each step if its chemical or physical.

I know this is harsh like sort of criteria but its best to try put as much detail and be as structured and concise as possible since you never know how much detail the marker is looking for.

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 6.51.36 pm.jpg

mkv_86

HSC
You have quite a bit of irrelevant info and I wouldn't go down the route of sugar canes to ethene (as this is used industrially to produce ethanol). Because in the syllabus there is a clear dot point that talks about ethene coming from the cracking of some of the fractions from the fractional distillation of crude oil, so its a little bit risky doing what you did (HSC markers can be weird with that sort of stuff although ur explanations for that stuff are good - so continue that sort of work in the ethanol production dot point)

The actual addition polymerisation part is good though. The last paragraph is irrelevant to the actual question since it's asking how its made and not how its used (so might waste some time for you in an exam, although you probably won't lose marks for it). the last bit you could have just wrote in one sentence: The polyethylene formed is LDPE in small pellets usually and this is melted into a mould of a plastic bottle and allowed to cool and set.

Lastly, since the question stated outline the chemical and physical processes. I would recommend in brackets to each step that you write if it is chemical or physical.

This response I've attached below would be better (addresses the crude oil to ethene)

The way I would mark this question in my tutoring classes would be:

1 mark - prior steps (described in the answer below)

1 mark - identifying the conditions (temp, pressure, initiator)

1 mark - correctly identifying the names of steps (initiation, activation (this is like a branch step of initiation so yeah you don't have to mention it), propagation, termination)

1 mark - a decent description of each step (meaning using like key scientific terms such as the name of the initiator)

1 mark - structural diagrams

1 mark - stating that the plastic pellets are melted into a mould of a bottle and allowed to cool and set into shape. Also, identifying at each step if its chemical or physical.

I know this is harsh like sort of criteria but its best to try put as much detail and be as structured and concise as possible since you never know how much detail the marker is looking for.

View attachment 34286

Thank you so much for the compressive feedback! This is actually for a teacher to mark for me, just one more thing, if i started sugar canes as my raw material, could they possibly penalise me for taking a different approach?

Sp3ctre

HSC
Thank you so much for the compressive feedback! This is actually for a teacher to mark for me, just one more thing, if i started sugar canes as my raw material, could they possibly penalise me for taking a different approach?
It depends on the marking criteria, if they have a mark allocated for discussing how cracking works to produce ethene then maybe, but I highly doubt they would have a mark allocated for that in the first place since ethene CAN be produced from both methods after all. They'll most likely have a mark allocated for the production of ethene, and whereas ethene from cracking is only basically one step as opposed to from dehydration of ethanol which goes into a bit more detail, writing about dehydration of ethanol will probably only cost you a bit of time in the end. You'll only have marks deducted if your description of something is actually wrong.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest it probably doesn't matter that much, as they will give you the marks, but I'd personally use the cracking since there are dot points based on it to be safe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)