Need help plz newbie here fob (1 Viewer)

geoff18

HSC
Hi im a yr 11 student who's about to enter yr 12
Newayz im just wondering if there's anyone here who like moved from standard english to advanced and if there are ppl who did, can u tell ur expereince and whether u find the course hard to easy compared to standard. Also will be pretty happy if ne one can like give me advise to stay or moved to advanced english. My english tutor told me to move from standard to advanced and im still hesitating whethere to move cause my standard teacher suggested me not to. I got 71% for my preliminarys and came top of my class but like still im struggling to come to a decision whether i should move to advanced to stay in standard... thx a lot for u guys' help... looking forard to replies...

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Wow. Never knew that you could actually move from Std to Adv English o.0

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
You shall stay in English Standard, two members from English Advanced moved to our class, Advanced proves too difficult for them.
If I stay in English Standard, I shall reign in the Top 10 at English Standard once again. So LOL dun join english advanced unless yuo wanna get owned !

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
yes, in advanced you will face significant competition, but don't let that be a deterrent.

there was a girl who came first in standard in year 11 and she moved to our advanced class for year 12 upon recommendation from the teacher. She ended up doing very well, i reckon she'll get a good band 5 or possibly a band 6 for her hsc mark

So talk to your teacher, because they'll have the experience to know whether you're capable of advanced. I don't think the work itself is much harder, although you do study more difficult texts (advanced students have to study a Shakespeare). But they simply expect much higher quality work than in standard.

If you're capable of advanced, and your teacher reckons you'll be ok, don't even hesitate switching classes because it will really benefit you in terms of final HSC marks and scaling for the UAI.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Conflicting teachers' opinions can be quite confusing, try asking both your teachers about why they think you should or shouldn't do Advanced English. Some people in my school moved from Standard to Advanced this year and they're going pretty good. I think they were near the top in Standard.

Top of class is a bit different to being top in the Standard course overall, if you are near top of the grade and wouldn't mind a challenge then consider moving.

Of course, I'm obviously not speaking from experience so whatever I'm saying is probably just nonsense dribble. I agree with Ianc though, don't let the competition deter you, often a bit of competition is what you'd need to do well.

HSC
my school wont let anyone move from standard to advanced; but then my school was picky when it came to choosing between advanced and standard for year 11 and twelve

geoff18

HSC
well first of all thx for all the replies lol
my skl only have one standard class and 2 advanced class so basically if i came first in my class that practically means i came first in my skl's standard course but yeh im still sort of juggling around cause my tutor rknz there's a bit of politics involved cause we only have like 13 studnets in the standard while the rest of the 50 something ppl in the grade did advanced. Yeh hope there are more opinions and lol i guess i need as much as help as i can

geoff18

HSC
btw yeh i did talk to both of the teachers that is my standard teacher and the head of the english department and they just say they can't stop me but they rkn that it is better for me top to be at the top of standard rather than being the bottom pile of advanced but then they just say we cant stop u or something like that then i talked to my tutor today and he says there will always be someone at the bottom pile for everything and thatz why u need to work hard to get to the top pile so yeh im so like stuck now comments will be greatly welcome

HSC
in the end, u have to do what u feel is right,

but, think of the people who are doing advanced in your year group, if u put the effort in, can u beat them?

sometimes if ur acing the standard course, u can try sumfing more challenging, but usually it is better to top standard than crumble in advanced

but if ur up to the challenge and feel that u can push ur way up the ranks, than go for it

choose wisely and good luck

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Oh wow, 13? My school's got around 200 kids in Standard, lol, probably means we're bad or something.

geoff18

HSC
lol we only have like 50-60 ppl in the whole grade lol my skl is like tiny compared to urs

Last edited:

geoff18

HSC
so yeh guyz any more suggestions i posted at the advanced forum as well but like everyone seems to be studying their ass off for monday's exams or something plz Any comments welcome

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I never knew that Standard could move to Advanced? I thought only Advanced could move to Standard?? Because wouldn't it be like trying to do extension english in year 12 without having done it in year 11?

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
ianc said:
yes, in advanced you will face significant competition, but don't let that be a deterrent.

there was a girl who came first in standard in year 11 and she moved to our advanced class for year 12 upon recommendation from the teacher. She ended up doing very well, i reckon she'll get a good band 5 or possibly a band 6 for her hsc mark

So talk to your teacher, because they'll have the experience to know whether you're capable of advanced. I don't think the work itself is much harder, although you do study more difficult texts (advanced students have to study a Shakespeare). But they simply expect much higher quality work than in standard.

If you're capable of advanced, and your teacher reckons you'll be ok, don't even hesitate switching classes because it will really benefit you in terms of final HSC marks and scaling for the UAI.
The bolded bit is not true, there are many articles on this website that would prove this false.

If I were you I'd stay in standard English, it's always better to be at the top of one subject than at the bottom of another (if you're not capable of beating advances students). Personally, I dropped from advanced to standard English this term and I'm loving it.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Move to advanced and if it proves too difficult for you then you can move back to standard. You have the opportunity to try advanced, might as well take it.

geoff18

HSC
just wanna ask which one is better... ranked first in standard or ranked middle in advanced 13 ppl in standard and 35 in advanced course

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
timobr0 said:
Move to advanced and if it proves too difficult for you then you can move back to standard. You have the opportunity to try advanced, might as well take it.
There's a point there.

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I moved from Advanced to Standard after doing Advanced for a year... Advanced people are more capable - obviously... Not saying Standard AREN'T of course =D But all extension English students have to do Advanced english so you'll be competing with the EXTENSIONS!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)