Need Help with 8-mark question (1 Viewer)

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
Assess the impact of motors and generators on society and environment. (8 mark)

Am I supposed to write bout DC/AC motors and DC/AC generators?

deswa1

HSC
Yeah for 8 marks I would. You could argue overall benefits/costs for motors as a whole but obviously DC and AC have had different impacts so I would address those as well.

RishBonjour

HSC
fkn hate these 8 markers

Yes you are, but in a general sense - talk about the how it leads to higher living standards, industrialisation and all that.
need to revise :(

RishBonjour

HSC
- Social:
- Positives:
o Improvements in the standard of living
§ Electricity has allowed the development of highly mechanised and electronic lifestyles to which people in the developed world have become accustomed
§ Electricity makes people's lives more comfortable as it allows people to have lights, heaters, air conditioners and also a vast range of entertainment such as TV and computers.
o Efficient and clean energy
§ Electricity, such as in electric stove cooking, is much more efficient when compared to traditional methods such as diesel lamp or a wood fire stove
o Concentrated and Regulated energy production
§ Concentration of energy production allows greater regulation and can be monitored and recorded. DC does not allow current to flow large distances due to significant heat loss.
o Development of industry
§ Without the development in AC generators, and electricity in general, the industrial revolution would not be instigated, thus the world would have been a much different place
- Negatives:
o Accidents
o Replacement of labour
§ Due to electricity, many tasks can now be done mechanically or through the use of technology thus humans have been replaced in many fields as technology is usually more efficient and cheaper. This led to unemployment

Sorry for the effed formating - just took it out of my one note

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
- Social:
- Positives:
o Improvements in the standard of living
§ Electricity has allowed the development of highly mechanised and electronic lifestyles to which people in the developed world have become accustomed
§ Electricity makes people's lives more comfortable as it allows people to have lights, heaters, air conditioners and also a vast range of entertainment such as TV and computers.
o Efficient and clean energy
§ Electricity, such as in electric stove cooking, is much more efficient when compared to traditional methods such as diesel lamp or a wood fire stove
o Concentrated and Regulated energy production
§ Concentration of energy production allows greater regulation and can be monitored and recorded. DC does not allow current to flow large distances due to significant heat loss.
o Development of industry
§ Without the development in AC generators, and electricity in general, the industrial revolution would not be instigated, thus the world would have been a much different place
- Negatives:
o Accidents
o Replacement of labour
§ Due to electricity, many tasks can now be done mechanically or through the use of technology thus humans have been replaced in many fields as technology is usually more efficient and cheaper. This led to unemployment

Sorry for the effed formating - just took it out of my one note
You might want to separate into motors and generators.

For a 8 marker, you will need to talk more in depth as well to make your work more sophisticated. You should talk about AC generators being able to be stepped up/down and so, more energy sources can be exploited and reducing pollution in urban area.

Another negative would be due to more energy sources that can be exploited, it brings on the problem of urban sprawl since power stations and industry do not need to be within each other's proximity, they are more spreaded and also talk about increased reliance on electricity and its effects when it is down.

Last thing I'd make sure you'd include is a judgement.

RishBonjour

HSC
I get scared about getting off topic :/

Also, make sure to add that P=I^2 R for AC.

unLimitieDx

HSC
Could also mention for AC that since they can be stepped up and hence travel through transmission lines with minimal energy loss, the power stations can also be shifted away from cities reducing the concentration of pollution in the dense and populated city area.

Additionally the use of reduced energy will consequently mean the reduction in fossil fuel burning -> less pollution

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
graphical representation of AC generator output is a sine curve while DC generator is l sine curve l ..

what are the graphs of the emf generated vs time for both generators ?
also torque vs time graphs

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
graphical representation of AC generator output is a sine curve while DC generator is l sine curve l ..

what are the graphs of the emf generated vs time for both generators ?
also torque vs time graphs
Personally, I don't think this is necessary because it's starting to push outside of the realm of the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)