Need help with a question (1 Viewer)

gordonderp

HSC
The question is

"Using a contemporary human rights issue, evaluate the effectiveness of legal and non-legal measures in achieving justice'.

It is a test with a time limit of 45 minutes.

I was thinking about doing it on torture.

SharkeyBoy

HSC
You should be doing an issue with your teacher in class? Our class is doing child soldiers.
If not, just look at your textbook and summarise it yourself, torture should be quite good to do. Make sure you have cases/examples!

feuilleton

HSC
You should be doing an issue with your teacher in class? Our class is doing child soldiers.
If not, just look at your textbook and summarise it yourself, torture should be quite good to do. Make sure you have cases/examples!
You should never be summarising textbook information when formulating a response for an "evaluate the effectiveness question" - you basically have to assess how good legal and non-legal measures are at achieving justice in relation to the issue of torture, say. When is justice achieved? What are the criteria for the achievement of justice? How well do different measures match these criteria?

Summarising the textbook will only give you an outline of the issue of torture, and a brief summary of the types of measures that exist - a response that would give you a Band 4 mark at highest.

HSC
You definitely want a topic with a lot of scope for discussion, to be able to write a sustained response in 45 minutes. Something like child soldiers, human trafficking, or people smuggling are topics that already have a lot of available material, and would be worth considering. I did human trafficking as my case study, and I felt prepared for pretty much any 7 to 8 marker that I encountered, because I didn't summarise the facts from the textbook, but integrated current cases, media and legislation, and thought about how I might evaluate all of the legal and non legal remedies and measures available.

Also, in terms of the question, remember to consider legal and non legal measures on both a domestic and global level. Often, the human rights issues in question can be a problem over a number of jurisdictions, which is where international treaties and conventions come in, and domestically, countries may be far more reluctant to respond to the issue.

Good luck! :)

SharkeyBoy

HSC
You should never be summarising textbook information when formulating a response for an "evaluate the effectiveness question" - you basically have to assess how good legal and non-legal measures are at achieving justice in relation to the issue of torture, say. When is justice achieved? What are the criteria for the achievement of justice? How well do different measures match these criteria?

Summarising the textbook will only give you an outline of the issue of torture, and a brief summary of the types of measures that exist - a response that would give you a Band 4 mark at highest.
Yeah, sorry. I meant to add that you develop your own opinion based on certain criteria after researching about it yourself.

captainpigs

Tutor and Note Seller
HSC
Uni Grad
This is covered in the notes on www.lolhsc.com - we have two topics
1. Discrimination against women (not many people do it)
2. Slavery (everyone does it)
So whether you want to have the common or unique one check them out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)