need help with my topic ^^ (1 Viewer)

bLue_raiN

blah~
HSC
hi,
umm i want to do my major work (im doin a website) on utopia and dystopia, and im thinking of doing it on either
1. how one man's utopia could be another's dystopia
or, 2. utopia leads to dystopia

which do u think is a better topic ? *shrugs* i dont think either topic is realli appropriate for a site though..mebbe a critical response ><

thanx =)

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
i *think* you could merge the two if you really wanted???
meh, i don't know

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Originally posted by fuckfoot
i *think* you could merge the two if you really wanted???
meh, i don't know
I think it would be interesting to merge, as fuckfoot says, and do it in a critical response. Now that would so great to read!

but of course, its only up to you!

bLue_raiN

blah~
HSC
i *think* you could merge the two if you really wanted?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lol oohh thanx ..smart..i hadn't even thought of that =)

I think it would be interesting to merge, as fuckfoot says, and do it in a critical response. Now that would so great to read!

yeah i guess it would be better in a critical response eh? ^^
lolzz hopefulli it will turn out great to read! o.o :) thanx

KarmaKitten

HSC
Originally posted by bLue_raiN
i *think* you could merge the two if you really wanted?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lol oohh thanx ..smart..i hadn't even thought of that =)

yeah i guess it would be better in a critical response eh? ^^
lolzz hopefulli it will turn out great to read! o.o :) thanx
veronica?

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
she guessed because of your topic. :)

And can you change your whole subject now? what happened to the proposal? in my school, after you do the proposal, you hafta stick with the form. So if you chose website, you will have to do a website. I doubt you can change it to a critical response.

Maybe in your school its different. I don't know, you'll have to find out for yourself. Whatever you do, good luck!

bLue_raiN

blah~
HSC
And can you change your whole subject now? what happened to the proposal?
=====================
umm..well i am stil sticking to my topic, but i think that i need a more specific concept/idea..cos its far too general rite now
lolz...well i didnt go too much in detail about my topic in my proposal cos i wasn't too sure at the time

in my school, after you do the proposal, you hafta stick with the form. So if you chose website, you will have to do a website. I doubt you can change it to a critical response.
--------------------------------------------------------------
really? ...that sux!...lol its just that some ppl i know changed their topic so many times... ~ what's ur medium?
i dunno... but my teachers said that since it is a work in progress .. we can choose to change our idea ..or even scrap it lol...providing we find another one of course :)

lolz well to be honest, i dont think i'll end up doing a critical response...cos i think im better at creatin websites...
but my topix sounds so critical response-ish that its annoyin the hell outta me >.<

=) good luck to u too!

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hehe, im doing a short story. I dunno, are you sure you can change your medium entirely? Cause you've already done the proposal, and you've been assessed on it.

KarmaKitten

HSC
haha
its samira@!

i knew it was you cause i know your topic, hahahaha
I ROCK, how are you?? how far are you in your major work??

HSC
If you are doing a website or a critical essay, you are presumably going to be looking closely at utopian/dystopian literature. My suggestion is that you model the subject of your work closely around what kind of information you will or won't be able to squeeze from those texts.

The two big dystopian fiction texts that come to mind are Orwell's 1984, Huxley's Brave New World. Orwell's Animal Farm would go well with the"utopia leads to dystopia" theme, if you choose that. Brave New World, on the other hand, goes well with the "one man's utopia could be another's dytopia" theme, especially if you focus on the characte of Bernard Marx. Other dystopian novel are Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, and i suppose even Burgess' A Clockwork Orange can be classed as dystopian (which is a good one to do, since you could look at the movie, too). The only utopian fiction i've ever come across is Sir Thomas More's Utopia, but i'm sure there are others.

It seems to me that it would be pretty difficult to merge the two themes together, the reason being that (1) is a relative proposition (i.e. person A and person B both live on planet X, but person A loves in there, whereas person B thinks it's hell), whereas (2) distinguishes between two absolutes (i.e. something either IS or ISN'T a utopia/dystopia).

If i had to choose, i'd go with (2) because it is more original. Almost everyone already thinks that utopias lead to dystopias (though i myself am not convinced), as it's been knocked into our collective psyche since birth through slogans like "communism is great in theory but it doesn't work in practice" etc etc. The idea of a utopia causing happiness for some but misery for others is an area which has not been explores nearly as much.

bLue_raiN

blah~
HSC
hehe, im doing a short story. I dunno, are you sure you can change your medium entirely? Cause you've already done the proposal, and you've been assessed on it
------------
hey sorri for replyin so late ^.^ !
ooOhhhhzz.....cool =) lol...umm well i think i will stick to the
website ...
i think that we're all allowed to change mediums..even after proposals...hmz but i cant believe ur school doesnt let u do that.. ^^

haha
its samira@!
i knew it was you cause i know your topic, hahahaha
I ROCK, how are you?? how far are you in your major work??
============
lol!! omg..samira??!!! wow ...u kno i thought u were jeza? ^^lol
haha good guess =p
im ....great..... lol well i would be if we didnt have so many assessments >< damn teachers ...
how far am i? ..umm well im tryin to organise info under links... but ..its not goin too well >.< what bout u? lolz i bet ur way ahead..probably on ur second journal already =p kekz jk ^^

bLue_raiN

blah~
HSC
My suggestion is that you model the subject of your work closely around what kind of information you will or won't be able to squeeze from those texts.
-----------------------------------
lolzz....ok =)

The two big dystopian fiction texts that come to mind are Orwell's 1984, Huxley's Brave New World. Orwell's Animal Farm would go well with the"utopia leads to dystopia" theme, if you choose that. Brave New World, on the other hand, goes well with the "one man's utopia could be another's dytopia" theme, especially if you focus on the characte of Bernard Marx.
--------------------------------------
cool...i was thinking of linking 1984 and BNW together ^^ oohh...your right...bernard marx would be a really good character for the "one man's utopia could be another's dytopia" theme' =)

It seems to me that it would be pretty difficult to merge the two themes together, the reason being that (1) is a relative proposition (i.e. person A and person B both live on planet X, but person A loves in there, whereas person B thinks it's hell), whereas (2) distinguishes between two absolutes (i.e. something either IS or ISN'T a utopia/dystopia).
---------------------------------
oh ....thanx for that ^^ lol that hadn't even occurred to me yet...

If i had to choose, i'd go with (2) because it is more original.
The idea of a utopia causing happiness for some but misery for others is an area which has not been explores nearly as much.
----------------------------------
really?...ohh...i didnt realise that so many ppl thought that utopias lead to dystopias.. hmzz..well i guess it is probably hard not too..cos theres so many dystopian literature and films
lol that reminds me...i still havent seen the third matrix movie yet~ ><

lol thanks for ur helpful comments !=) lol i cant believe u wrote such a long reply ^^ g/w :) ~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)