Need help with the enrolment process! (1 Viewer)

Mickiiy

HSC
does anyone know how the section "Unit-sets" work? and also with the unit selection, how many units do i actually need? is there like a minimum or something?

kagura

HSC
Unit-sets is the place where you'll select your key program, major or sub-major. Depending in which course you're enrolled in, you won't have to select your key program straight away. For example, business & commerce students can choose to select their key program at the end of the first year so they can experience what type of areas (accounting, marketing, HR and so fourth) that appeals to them most. Like I said, it differs between students and if you're doing a science degree, you'd typically be forced to choose a key program before first year commences (I think).

As for unit selection, the maximum subjects that you can enroll in per semester is 4. However, it's possible to take up more units provided that you seek special permission from your unit coordinator. It's recommended that you do 4 though, but anyway. I hope that helps! :)

Mickiiy

HSC
in regards to what you said about unit-set how can i tell whether i need to choose my key program before my course starts or after the first year?

Kate1991

HSC
What degree are you doing? For arts you need to declare your key program immediately.
Is a key program the same thing as a major? I'm doing a bachelor of arts at UWS and there was no option to choose a key program just a major and submajor...

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
OK, sorry!! I just looked up the new BA structure for 2010. Previous BA's had key programs, majors and submajors (key programs are like a concentrated area of study which defines what majors you choose).

From 2010, there's no more key program, you just choose a major and submajor. Sorry if I confused/worried you haha. There's been a lot of course updates lately.

For further info, the new updated BA structure is here: Course

What major are you looking at doing?

Last edited:

Kate1991

HSC
OK, sorry!! I just looked up the new BA structure for 2010. Previous BA's had key programs, majors and submajors (key programs are like a concentrated area of study which defines what majors you choose).

From 2010, there's no more key program, you just choose a major and submajor. Sorry if I confused/worried you haha. There's been a lot of course updates lately.

For further info, the new updated BA structure is here: Course

What major are you looking at doing?
Oh cool...thanks for explaining :) I'm majoring in psychology too, looking forward to it!

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Oh cool, good stuff! The psych program has been updated too so a lot of the subjects are new and more in depth...shoot me a pm if you ever have any questions.

Are you looking to do an accreditted psych program (major + submajor = 120 points) in order to practice as a psychologist?

Kate1991

HSC
Yes, i want to do the accredited program but i am a bit confused about the major and submajor part, maybe you can help me (you have already been very helpful thank you :))...is the submajor in a subject of your choosing or in psychology again, sorry if that is a stupid question i just didn't really understand what was required in the handbook...i havn't fully enrolled yet (i havn't done the unit selections) but i put psychology as my major and history and political thought as my submajor...

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Yes, i want to do the accredited program but i am a bit confused about the major and submajor part, maybe you can help me (you have already been very helpful thank you :))...is the submajor in a subject of your choosing or in psychology again, sorry if that is a stupid question i just didn't really understand what was required in the handbook...i havn't fully enrolled yet (i havn't done the unit selections) but i put psychology as my major and history and political thought as my submajor...
That's ok! If you want to undertake an accreditted psych program, you need to enrol in both a major and submajor of psychology so you have the full 120 points. This is equivalent to the old 'key program' that existed previously. More reading here: http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/unitset.aspx?unitset=M1040.1

You can take an 80 point major or 40 point submajor in psych and combine it with something else, but this isn't an accreditted program. It's still good that this exists though, for the students with other majors who have an interest in psych as a subject. This is the first year students have been allowed to do this.

You'll still be able to choose to do subjects in the history major as your open electives if you like :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)